Whatcha doing today?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Gemma, Oct 28, 2017.

1. Gemma

Gemma

I heard it's back so I'm checking it out this weekend
    I didn't know it was a double sided fireplace...it's awesome!
    I like when you tell us how you tend to the wildlife around you, I can see you in my head as I'm reading your posts, it's really cool!

Gemma, Oct 29, 2017
    bettasngoldfish likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. Gemma

Gemma

Well I just got done working in the yard with my husband and 14yr old son, my 17yr managed to escape duty but promised to help out tomorrow...so we got all of the dead plants out of the ground, the flowerbeds are ready for new plants next Spring, and everything looks nice and clean
    I took the Taros and Cannas out of the pond, they were both starting to rot, I left the Umbrella Palm cause it didn't have a single yellow leaf, I thought it could still do some good in the pond...it's huge!
    @bettasngoldfish my fish are still active and bagging for food also, I'm down to once a day feeding and just a few sticks each

Overall I had a great day! :)

Gemma, Oct 29, 2017
    Lisak1 and bettasngoldfish like this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Gemma

Lisak1

You had a productive day @Gemma ! We had drizzle most of the day, so I was productive in other ways. Hopefully by this afternoon we will have some sunshine. I don't mind the chill when I'm working, but I do appreciate some sunshine! I have some perennials that need to be moved and divided and some bog plants that need to be managed.

I started some seeds a few weeks ago in one of my beds - my first attempt at fall gardening. I'll have some nice lettuces and radishes to harvest in a few weeks! I don't think the cabbages will amount to anything, but it was fun to try.

Lisak1, Oct 29, 2017
    Gemma likes this.
  4. Gemma

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Today looks like a washout. I already caught up on the books for the business and did inventory of our products. We're cooking some meals for the week. Just taking an easy day.

MoonShadows, Oct 29, 2017
    Gemma likes this.
  5. Gemma

Gemma

@Lisak1 I'm tempted to start lettuce for my 4 pet chickens, but I'm afraid I'm too late cause I hear we could get snow next week

@MoonShadows nothing wrong with a doing nothing day...rest is important

My plan for today is to burlap the Japanese m., Azalea and the Chinese bush (no idea what it's called) then I'll go in the garage where all of my plants waiting to be boxed for winter are, and I'll start to cut back the stalks so that I can box them and bring them in maybe next week

the rest of my day looks like this
    smdishes.gif smlaundry.gif smvec.gif smmop.gif and if I'm lucky I'll squeeze a nap in smsleeping.gif

Gemma, Oct 29, 2017
    HARO, j.w, haver79 and 2 others like this.
  6. Gemma

sissy sissy

gemma the best part of it is spring when the new babies are born .So much fun to hear the babies call out maaa .Most of the critters have gotten used to me and just watch me .I guess they know my smell .Last year a fawn came up to the fence to sniff my chihuahuas pee wee and puddles .It was so cute and need to make sure I have batteries for my camera and have it ready for the cute pics .I love it when the dogs think they are being mean and the deer just snuff at them and keep walking 100_9998.JPG

sissy, Oct 29, 2017
    Gemma, j.w and MoonShadows like this.
  7. Gemma

JBtheExplorer Native Gardener

Sports day.
    Watching football, then watching NASCAR, then watching F1.
    Then watching The Walking Dead.
    Then going to bed.

Gonna be a busy day!

JBtheExplorer, Oct 29, 2017
    tbendl and Gemma like this.
  8. Gemma

j.w I Love my Goldies

Gotta cut back Butterfly Bush, mow the lawn, prune Trumpet vine, prune Climbing Hydrangea, clean pond filter one last time before Winter, and yep @JBtheExplorer lastly watch The Walking Dead upload_2017-10-29_10-4-58.gif

j.w, Oct 29, 2017
  9. Gemma

sissy sissy

I will hear the race and that s bad enough .No fan of football and even made it worse with the disrespect .Got some yard work done but the dampness got to me so came in to warm up

sissy, Oct 29, 2017
    mgmine likes this.
  10. Gemma

Gemma

I've always pruned mine in the Spring, not even sure why

So I'm in for a late lunch break...I 'm done playing in dirt and now I got to clean up after myself...boy did I make a huge mess!:D

Gemma, Oct 29, 2017
    j.w likes this.
  11. Gemma

teeemkay

Today I cut down the pond plants and put the leaf net on. Some of our trees have changed color, but the big heavy leaf drop didn't really start until we got the cold snap this week. (I posted a couple pictures in another thread about pond nets if anyone wants to see how I set mine up.)

The only other project left today is to shut off the well and outdoor spigots. We waited too long last year and one of the spigots iced up and cracked part of the pipe... we had a tiny trickle of water along the basement wall (the brick part, thank goodness, and not the finished wall) when we turned the water on in the spring, so unfortunately we can't use that spigot until we can get it repaired.

teeemkay, Oct 29, 2017
    j.w, MoonShadows and Gemma like this.
  12. Gemma

Lisak1

It's always that fine balance between "why did I put the hose away... I really need it!" and "oh, man. Now it's a hose-cicle!"

I fought a valiant battle with an overgrown iris in my bog... I won't say I won, but I wasn't defeated either. We both came out bloodied but with our self-respect intact. I live to fight another day!

Lisak1, Oct 29, 2017
    HARO, Gemma, j.w and 1 other person like this.
  13. Gemma

teeemkay

Oh yes. We also aren't sure if the contractors finishing up the garage construction (finally) will need running water outside for anything, but if we absolutely have to, we can flip the lever in the basement and run city water through the pipes, then just make sure we drain everything again. The weather is going to warm up again this week, so we aren't in critical danger of a hard freeze for at least the next week or so. I just need to keep my eye on the nighttime temperatures. Last year, besides waiting too long, we had to scramble and get it done the morning hubs was leaving for an out of town trip as it was going to get bitterly cold while he was gone (like lows in the low 20s). It was stressful.

The pond plants put up no battle with me--the big plant clippers I have won easily. Clip clip clip--done. I dropped the baskets into the pond and there they'll stay until spring. Very easy task.

teeemkay, Oct 29, 2017
    Gemma likes this.
  14. Gemma

Lisak1

I left my "last time in the pond to cut back the lilies" go too late this year... no way was I getting in with the temps in the low 40s. (I'm sure the water is still in the 50s, but still!) So I put my thinking cap on and suddenly it hit me - my tree trimmer! It reaches 12', so way more than enough to get to the pots in the pond. I was able to cut back all my waterlilies without putting a toe in the water! I first used my garden rake like a big fork and twirled the pads like they were spaghetti - the ones that were already way past due to be trimmed just snapped right off. The ones that didn't break off so easily I just snipped with the trimmer and voila! All done!

I honestly like getting into the pond, so I don't think this will be an all the time solution. But if I find myself needing to do the trimming when it's just too cold I'll be ready!

Lisak1, Oct 29, 2017
    teeemkay, Gemma, j.w and 1 other person like this.
  15. Gemma

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

Mine are still blooming, but we have sun tomorrow, temps around 58 or so, pond 59 or so, Tomorrow they get hauled out and trimmed up. Some need repotting bad! The deer yanked them out of the pots months ago.

Today, cooked honeys bday cake, after going to the store for supplies for the cake (he loves the sour cream pound cake I make), checked 4 bee hives, added hive top insulation for the cold, unpacked from the ocean trip, washed clothes, picked some tomatoes that survived the freezing, wlked the pup...........forget what else happened today, now football and happy hour.

addy1, Oct 29, 2017
    Gemma and j.w like this.
  16. Gemma

j.w I Love my Goldies

j.w, Oct 29, 2017
    HARO, tbendl, Gemma and 1 other person like this.
  17. Gemma

sissy sissy

I put in anti freeze spigots on my house .My outside hydrant I protect with wrapped insulation and plastic

sissy, Oct 30, 2017
  18. Gemma

Gemma

Today kinda sucks!
    I thought getting out of work early was gonna make my day...then I find out that my waterfalls are not working and the GFI doesn't want to stay pressed...I have no idea what to do and my husband is in a meeting smstress.gif

The only thing circulating the water is the little pump for the UV light and the air stones in the corner, you think my fish will be ok?

Gemma, Oct 31, 2017
  19. Gemma

sissy sissy

Can you run an extension cord for now .How old is the outlet and is there any short any where .Could something have chewed a wire or could one be damaged .You don't want to electrocute your self or your fish

sissy, Oct 31, 2017
    HARO likes this.
  20. Gemma

sissy sissy

Plug a light in it and unplug everything else from the pond from that out let except for the light and push the gif and see if it stays on .If it does not trip it is not the gif .I had a mole chew a wire to my uv a couple of months ago .I had to buy a new power cord for it

sissy, Oct 31, 2017
    HARO and Gemma like this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question