Whatcha doing today?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
Today I cut down the pond plants and put the leaf net on. Some of our trees have changed color, but the big heavy leaf drop didn't really start until we got the cold snap this week. (I posted a couple pictures in another thread about pond nets if anyone wants to see how I set mine up.)

The only other project left today is to shut off the well and outdoor spigots. We waited too long last year and one of the spigots iced up and cracked part of the pipe... we had a tiny trickle of water along the basement wall (the brick part, thank goodness, and not the finished wall) when we turned the water on in the spring, so unfortunately we can't use that spigot until we can get it repaired.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We waited too long last year

It's always that fine balance between "why did I put the hose away... I really need it!" and "oh, man. Now it's a hose-cicle!"

I fought a valiant battle with an overgrown iris in my bog... I won't say I won, but I wasn't defeated either. We both came out bloodied but with our self-respect intact. I live to fight another day!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
It's always that fine balance between "why did I put the hose away... I really need it!" and "oh, man. Now it's a hose-cicle!"

I fought a valiant battle with an overgrown iris in my bog... I won't say I won, but I wasn't defeated either. We both came out bloodied but with our self-respect intact. I live to fight another day!

Oh yes. We also aren't sure if the contractors finishing up the garage construction (finally) will need running water outside for anything, but if we absolutely have to, we can flip the lever in the basement and run city water through the pipes, then just make sure we drain everything again. The weather is going to warm up again this week, so we aren't in critical danger of a hard freeze for at least the next week or so. I just need to keep my eye on the nighttime temperatures. Last year, besides waiting too long, we had to scramble and get it done the morning hubs was leaving for an out of town trip as it was going to get bitterly cold while he was gone (like lows in the low 20s). It was stressful.

The pond plants put up no battle with me--the big plant clippers I have won easily. Clip clip clip--done. I dropped the baskets into the pond and there they'll stay until spring. Very easy task.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I left my "last time in the pond to cut back the lilies" go too late this year... no way was I getting in with the temps in the low 40s. (I'm sure the water is still in the 50s, but still!) So I put my thinking cap on and suddenly it hit me - my tree trimmer! It reaches 12', so way more than enough to get to the pots in the pond. I was able to cut back all my waterlilies without putting a toe in the water! I first used my garden rake like a big fork and twirled the pads like they were spaghetti - the ones that were already way past due to be trimmed just snapped right off. The ones that didn't break off so easily I just snipped with the trimmer and voila! All done!

I honestly like getting into the pond, so I don't think this will be an all the time solution. But if I find myself needing to do the trimming when it's just too cold I'll be ready!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine are still blooming, but we have sun tomorrow, temps around 58 or so, pond 59 or so, Tomorrow they get hauled out and trimmed up. Some need repotting bad! The deer yanked them out of the pots months ago.

Today, cooked honeys bday cake, after going to the store for supplies for the cake (he loves the sour cream pound cake I make), checked 4 bee hives, added hive top insulation for the cold, unpacked from the ocean trip, washed clothes, picked some tomatoes that survived the freezing, wlked the pup...........forget what else happened today, now football and happy hour.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@addy1 TO YOUR HONEY
upload_2017-10-29_16-0-3.gif

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I put in anti freeze spigots on my house .My outside hydrant I protect with wrapped insulation and plastic

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Today kinda sucks!
I thought getting out of work early was gonna make my day...then I find out that my waterfalls are not working and the GFI doesn't want to stay pressed...I have no idea what to do and my husband is in a meeting
smstress.gif

The only thing circulating the water is the little pump for the UV light and the air stones in the corner, you think my fish will be ok?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Can you run an extension cord for now .How old is the outlet and is there any short any where .Could something have chewed a wire or could one be damaged .You don't want to electrocute your self or your fish

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Plug a light in it and unplug everything else from the pond from that out let except for the light and push the gif and see if it stays on .If it does not trip it is not the gif .I had a mole chew a wire to my uv a couple of months ago .I had to buy a new power cord for it

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Plug a light in it and unplug everything else from the pond from that out let except for the light and push the gif and see if it stays on .If it does not trip it is not the gif .I had a mole chew a wire to my uv a couple of months ago .I had to buy a new power cord for it
The GFI stays on if the pump is not plugged in, I even changed the extension cord ...it better end up being the work of a chipmunk, cause that stupid pump was overpriced to begin with and only lasted a year
smpissed.gif

fish gonna be ok for a while? I mean in winter the waterfalls freezes over and it's turned off but by then the fish are not this active anymore

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Did you pull the pump and clean it out and check the impeller to make sure it is clean and no little pieces of gravel stuck .If it overheats from that it will pop the gfi .I would check the pump closely .Not sure what chewed my cord ,mole ,mice or some other animal

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Fish will be ok and do you have an aerator just in case you get a warm spell .Sorry to hear and hope it is just a piece of gravel or something stuck in there .How big a circuit breaker is it on .When I did my new electric and took the outside panel box off I had found 2 of the wires going to 2 breakers had come loose and had to pull the breaker and tighten the wire up again and then reinstall the breaker ,Better left to an electrician if you have no knowledge of it .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Did you pull the pump and clean it out and check the impeller to make sure it is clean and no little pieces of gravel stuck .If it overheats from that it will pop the gfi .I would check the pump closely .Not sure what chewed my cord ,mole ,mice or some other animal
I didn't do that, I'll have to wait for my husband, I'm not very handy that way!.... but I did pull and exposed the cord and it's not chewed up so I'll need a new pump
I have 2 air stones going and the return from the UV it'll have to do for now
Thank you Sissy!
smthanks.gif

Ask a Question