Whatcha doing today?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I think I may just do some chicken wire around them, but I’ve got to clean off the porch and move stuff around first.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
So I think I will try to clean the porch off tomorrow, and rearrange the plants. I need to dump all the planters out, Mark what’s flower or food, and add fertilizer to the soil.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
No, that would just give the cats a better place to hide from the dogs, resulting in squashed plants. I’ll have to cover them with the chicken wire, and as soon as I can, I’m going to build a dog proof cat feeding station. The bottom half will be enclosed to give cats a safe place to hide from playing dogs, take shelter in the cold, etc, the middle will be semi enclosed to allow cats to eat and us to put their food out, and the top will give them place to enjoy the sun! I have to plan things for cats, dogs, and the potential random raccoon, possum, or skunk!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You always seem to have lots of work to do for all the critters along w/all the other stuff you do! I have lots more leisure time now as I am trying to learn to just say I don't need to or want to do that so I won't,lol! I think like this, if I died tonight and the morning came would it really matter if I had done it or not, ha, ha,ha!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
A lot of what I do is quick easy stuff, or things that I need to do, and would impact the household/ pets if I don’t. And I just got hired on as dads swamper, to help while he recovers, or until I’m not needed. His boss just informed him. Which saves me from going and hunting a local part time job, but limits where our income is coming from.... but I get to ride herd on him till he’s better, which he needs, or he will push himself too hard.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
In this case, a swamper does the heavy lifting, chains, binders, straps, making sure the load is secured, or hauling the hoses. The assistant, help, and why the term is swamper, I haven’t a clue! I can’t drive a semi, and most of the current loads are all in a semi, so I can’t help with the driving. But, I’ll have to dig out my old fire retardant work clothes, ( and pray they fit well enough!) as some locations require them.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Aww got it! Bet he will enjoy the company also. Maybe swamper cause you are mucking the stuff around and swamps can be mucky!\

Here is one of the official definitions.

swamper A swamper, in occupational slang is an assistant who helps with day to day tasks but is not the main operator of the equipment. Usually used in the trucking industry, also used by river guides and by kitchen cooks. We need to hire a swamper to help on the next trip

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Aww got it! Bet he will enjoy the company also. Maybe swamper cause you are mucking the stuff around and swamps can be mucky!\

Here is one of the official definitions.

swamper A swamper, in occupational slang is an assistant who helps with day to day tasks but is not the main operator of the equipment. Usually used in the trucking industry, also used by river guides and by kitchen cooks. We need to hire a swamper to help on the next trip
long ago when I was still hiring helpers, my lawn cutting crews would consist of two members; a foreman and a mossman. See if you can figure out why the latter was called as they were.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Here in Washington we have a lot of moss on some roads. I guess I might then consider myself to have been a moss woman cleaning off our roads w/a flat spade or shovel,lol! Not sure if this is what the true meaning is and prolly not but it works for me :smuggrin:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Anyone know if flower bulbs get soft other than when they are bad? I’m repotting my plants, the bulbs that were coming up are all a bit soft, not yet mushy. I’ve put them in a pot with very little soil, I’m going to keep them in the bog till I know if they are bad or not. Once I can rearrange space in the bog for the pot that is!

Ask a Question