Convert swimming pool to natural pool/pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 9b
Country
United States
The quickest, and easiest that I see is to use the existing gazebo to your advantage. You can build on top of it. let the water fall off the pool side of it, into the planted area between the pool deck and gazebo. Allow to flow from there to the pool via a stream, with bridge over it to allow kids to run from one side to the other. There will be some work, and digging involved, but it's unavoidable, and as mentioned before, will have an awesome return on your investment. Once planted, and going, you will have a most beautiful aquascape. Please excuse my
very rough drawing over your drawing. I based upon your drawing, and the photograph.

View attachment 136046
Thank you for the nice picture. I totally agree the investment is worthy; I just want to find an easy way to implement. I was planning to build a bog on top of it, but GBBUDD reminded me that the base may not be able to support the heavy weight and suggested to dig into the base instead -- is that the "digging" work you suggested too? If it's building on top, I could manage to get some PT lumbers, build the frame, put in the PVC, and fill with gravel; otherwise I'll have to hire some contractors to break the concrete, and I don't know if the whole base need to be rebuilt.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
The only digging that I suggest is the flower bed, between the gazebo, and the pool deck. (to form catch basin) If the gazebo has concrete floor, I would assume that the sides, and steps are also of masonry construction. The total dead load on the gazebo floor would be about 25lb per square foot after construction of bog on top. As to the construction of the gazebo, I'm only guessing how it was built based upon the location, and seismic zone, and assuming it was permitted, and inspected when built. Which leads me to another question; Where is the existing pump and filter located, in relationship to the gazebo?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 9b
Country
United States
The only digging that I suggest is the flower bed, between the gazebo, and the pool deck. (to form catch basin) If the gazebo has concrete floor, I would assume that the sides, and steps are also of masonry construction. The total dead load on the gazebo floor would be about 25lb per square foot after construction of bog on top. As to the construction of the gazebo, I'm only guessing how it was built based upon the location, and seismic zone, and assuming it was permitted, and inspected when built. Which leads me to another question; Where is the existing pump and filter located, in relationship to the gazebo?
Thank you. I would then be more confident about building it by myself.
The pump and filter are located here:
pool.jpg

So I guess there are some tubes/wires on this side underground.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Exactly what i drew the first go around, but i had a stream coming down from the upper area down tot he pool

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
There will be a bit more digging, to run plumbing from the existing pump/filter, to the bog. Unless you want to just lay it on top of the ground. (not advisable) A trench just outside the pool deck to run a pipe from pump to bog. No need for extra pumps, what you have should be sufficient. With a couple of valves you can adjust the flow between the bog, and existing return jets, to get plenty of circulation. And using the existing pump/filter/backwash valve, you can bypass the sand filter, and leave it hooked up. Only use it for vacuuming.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Late to this party, but I'd just like to say that is the most amazing template to build a swimming pond into. I am fabulously jealous.

If your partner is against the idea, show them this video... we all have to have dreams.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
if the gazebo is full of dirt it will support the bog but i would then imagine the stair and base walls are holding back the soils . NEED MORE INFO

Ask a Question