Convert swimming pool to natural pool/pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Whether you use 6x6 posts and just sit it on the patio not so much as one screw into the deck . with say 4 layers of 6 x 6 in a 8 x 12 box .
Using a good amount of landscape spikes to insure all the layers are locked fully together. sand the top edges so theres no sharp edges. Add non woven fabric across the entire box over the sides across the bottom and up the other side. put in the edpm liner . Secure it with a 2x8 cap place your pvc pipe across the bottom of the bog probably four 2" pipes across the entire bottom and fill 12 to 16 inches with 3/8 pea stone theres a few more steps to it but not many

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 9b
Country
United States
I would still lean toward building it within the gazebo base cut the center floor out and build a raised bog inside it make the falls come over the edge of the bog :"approximately 30 inches at a minimum " nice height " run across the pool deck and making a nice stream and make a little bridge to span over the stream to the pool where you have another 1 foot water fall Priceless.
The more I think about it, the more I start to agree with you on this. Is it easy to cut open the gazebo base to just have enough room for the bog and leave the rest untouched? Or instead of cutting it, do you think it makes sense to build the bog frame on top of the base? Thank you.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
No i love the stairs to each side i'd cut out the floor of the base build the raised bog inside of the sides of the base and maybe one layer higher then the old floor and let the plants grow out onto it and over the sides it really could look amazing . i only charge $5,000 a day . Just kidding. But i would go at least one course higher then the base so you can have a edge to control the direction of flow and you can hide it with rock and have a nice water fall down to the pool deck but there you will need a wide area to capture the splash of the water fall Or design a area that can keep the water in a confined area like pouring into a cup with high sides that has no bottom so the water doesn't travel far when it splashes it hit boulders or the sides like a horse shoe where the water cant splash any where but toward to pool. then create a stream where it too then has a foot drop into the pool . look at you tube videos and see how cool even little streams with no depth can really look natural and amazing . you don't need to have all the pumping action go into the bog you'll still want to feed some to the pool return jets the plumbing is probably your biggest challenge. but you may be able to hide an external pump behind the gazebo base . some pumps are self priming and in that case that's where you'd want to lean.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 9b
Country
United States
you don't need to have all the pumping action go into the bog you'll still want to feed some to the pool return jets the plumbing is probably your biggest challenge. but you may be able to hide an external pump behind the gazebo base . some pumps are self priming and in that case that's where you'd want to lean.
I don't quite get the above: why do I need an external pump behind the bog? (as I understand I need one submersive pump in the pool that pumps water to the bog)

Just did some search on cutting open concrete. I don't think I'd be able to do that without making a mess in the backyard. I'd probably go back to building the frame with 6x6 posts. If I do build it on the gazebo base, would there be any issue pumping water into the bog? One more question: why not use pavestones or cider blocks to build the frame? It seems easier than using posts and can be any shape you want.
Actually I had a typo: location D is an old jacuzzi that could be converted to a bog. Seems I don't even need to build the frame if I use D.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't quite get the above: why do I need an external pump behind the bog? (as I understand I need one submersive pump in the pool that pumps water to the bog)
No you would not need to have a pump in the pool i'd advise strongly to avoid the pump in a swim pool . but you would need a self priming pump .

And i would strongly advise against cutting open your pool decking as well . You can build a stream right on top of the pool decking . i'll see if i can make a picture with the idea .

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
yeah and if the jacuzzi has a 2" water netralizer where the water levels even out between the jacuzzi and the pond then you could use that to have water return to the pond and use the jets in the jacuzi to bring water to the jacuzi. you would just need to add extensions on to the jets so you have pipes bring water to the bottom of the bog and maybe one ring along the seat . Then fill it with pea stone UP TO THE NUETRALIZER PIPE YOU WOULD JUST HAVE TO MAKE SURE YOU DON'T PUMP TO MUCH WATER TO THE AREA THAT THE PIPE cant drain out by it's self as it won't have any pressure to help drain it .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 9b
Country
United States
No you would not need to have a pump in the pool i'd advise strongly to avoid the pump in a swim pool . but you would need a self priming pump .

And i would strongly advise against cutting open your pool decking as well . You can build a stream right on top of the pool decking . i'll see if i can make a picture with the idea .
Now I am more confused. From all I read, there is a pump that move water from pond to the bog, and most people put the pump in the pond. Do I get it wrong?

I was not talking about the pool decking; I mean I don't want to cut open the gazebo base. I think I understand what you mean by building the bog within the gazebo base and build a stream down to the pool decking then to the pool.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
most people put the pump in the pond
Mine is external. I have no electrical item in the pond. With a swim pool there is a chance someone could get sucked into the pump inlet (very low chance) but also you are having a electrical item running in water that people are in. Pumps now and then do fail and add a electrical shock to the water. I had one do that to me, a small pond, a small pump, never did a submersible again.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
An external pump just has a pipe that leads from the pump to the pool where it draws the water to the pump. where your water will be a foot lower then the pump and have about a 10 travel to the pump that is why i said i would get a SELF PRIMING PUMP. most pumps do not self prime they need to have water put in the pump in order for it to even think about working a self priming pump can start with minimal water in the plumbing. But i would think about using the return jets that are built in the pool. This will probably require two pumps

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 9b
Country
United States
An external pump just has a pipe that leads from the pump to the pool where it draws the water to the pump. where your water will be a foot lower then the pump and have about a 10 travel to the pump that is why i said i would get a SELF PRIMING PUMP. most pumps do not self prime they need to have water put in the pump in order for it to even think about working a self priming pump can start with minimal water in the plumbing. But i would think about using the return jets that are built in the pool. This will probably require two pumps
Thank you for the explanation. If external pump works too then I'll go for it. I agree with addy1 that it has less risk than submersive ones. Any model you would recommend for a 20000 gallon pool?

I would like to ask again do you see any issue if I build the bog on top of the gazebo base? I know it's not ideal, but this seems to be an easy option.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have been in the trades my entire life I Seriously doubt it would hold the weight water is 8 lbs a gallon and your talking about filling the bog with stone . i'd bet the gazebo is not even close to the load design needed to support such a item as a bog . But you do have many options with that back yard like i said originally i was drulling at all the possibilities. What about up by the fence is there a flat area back there and how far away is it from the pool. You could put the bog up there help hide the fence and have the stream off to the side that i originally drew coming the hill on the left side and down into the pool

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 9b
Country
United States
I have been in the trades my entire life I Seriously doubt it would hold the weight water is 8 lbs a gallon and your talking about filling the bog with stone . i'd bet the gazebo is not even close to the load design needed to support such a item as a bog . But you do have many options with that back yard like i said originally i was drulling at all the possibilities. What about up by the fence is there a flat area back there and how far away is it from the pool. You could put the bog up there help hide the fence and have the stream off to the side that i originally drew coming the hill on the left side and down into the pool

I never realized about that... so the gazebo base and the pool deck could both have problem support the heavy weight of the bog? I thought they were filled with concrete. Is there anyway to check the load capacity? Otherwise I may have to hire someone to inspect and build the bog frame.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The deck should be fine It looks to have been built well And the expansion joints are nice a wide yet they don't appear to have shifted or cracked and lifted. I have no idea if you gazebo base was filled with concrete but i would seriously doubt that it would be, you don't need concrete to support a gazebo that's built on a slab or pool deck in California. Could the pool deck shift with a large bog on it would doubt it like i said before it looks solid but i am only looking at a picture

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
i DON'T KNOW WHAT YOUR BUDGET IS OR HOW FAR YOU WANT TO TAKE THIS BBBBBBUUUTTTTTTT..... you have a backyard made for a natural swim pond and bog .........
the old jucuzzi is your bog but i would put a liner in it build up some boulders at the face of the jacuzzi and have the water fall into the pool or make a couple drops into the pool but do not make the falls straight on to each other to the eye have one turned a little left the other to the right . and that magnificent little hill a stream coming down that omg i would love to have that as my canvas to create my next pond..........View attachment 135915 my net pond
I'm glad I'm not the only one who immediately saw a Bog already there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
The quickest, and easiest that I see is to use the existing gazebo to your advantage. You can build on top of it. let the water fall off the pool side of it, into the planted area between the pool deck and gazebo. Allow to flow from there to the pool via a stream, with bridge over it to allow kids to run from one side to the other. There will be some work, and digging involved, but it's unavoidable, and as mentioned before, will have an awesome return on your investment. Once planted, and going, you will have a most beautiful aquascape. Please excuse my
very rough drawing over your drawing. I based upon your drawing, and the photograph.

bog.jpg

Ask a Question