Convert swimming pool to natural pool/pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 9b
Country
United States
Aquablocks are not a must no. But for a swim pond the more efficient the bog the better off you'll be.
With people swimming in the pond it adds a lot to the bio load for the bog .
Do you think that snorkel+aquablocks bog would be more efficient than the pea stone+PVC bog? What are the main differences (pros and cons) between the two types of bogs?
I have a local pool company that builds pools like this:
Do you think I can ask them to help build the bog walls first before putting in snorkel+aquablocks or pea stone+PVC? Do I need liner inside the bog?

Attachments

• poolpics_0008.jpeg
    poolpics_0008.jpeg
    75.8 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Any builder worth there weight could figure it out . its all in how much they think its worth.

yes i think the aquablocks and snorkel are worth it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
Thank you! Lots of things happened in the last year and I almost thought about moving, but glad that I finally got to stay and come back to this project.

Thank you for your detailed instructions. I have some more questions:
1. For the pump, it seems 12K GPH pump is a bit hard to find. I found some here: https://www.pondusa.com/product/tsurumi-12pn-pond-waterfall-pump/ Not sure if this is ok for my purpose. This one is much more expensive for reasons I don't know: https://www.pondusa.com/product/easy-pro-tb12000-waterfall-pump/ The power consumption is typically 2kW per hour, that (with 2 pumps) adds up to ~100kW per day. Not a small number. Does it have to be on 24/7?
2. It's silly, but just wondering anyone by chance has a video that shows how to stack up the lumbers with iron rods? I've only made raised bed so far
3. Any recommended website to buy EPDM or HDRPE? HDRPE can be directly placed on the concrete base?
Use your existing pool pump. Yes, they are designed to run full time,24/7. Keep the existing returns, and tie in to them for the bog. Actually,keep the whole pool filter system intact. Simply add piping to the bog fro the return side of the filter. If your pump is good,no need to replace it.
As to stacking the lumber; very similar to the raised beds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
OK, now I'm on my desktop and not a cell phone. Here's my swimmin' pond. I built it 2 years ago.
IMG_20220509_163734453_HDR (Copy).jpg

It did not start life as a swimming pool. But as a purpose built natural filter swimming pond. I used swimming pool pump, filter, skimmer, and return jet. Reason for that is this: After having a fish pond for several years, I found that I would want to vacuum the crud off the bottom of the swimming pond. and keep it reasonably clean. Because water sports tend to stir it up in the water, and make it cloudy. Not so much in the fish pond.
IMG_20220509_163634820 (Copy).jpg

The pool pump, runs 24/7/365. The only time I shut it off, is when cleaning the basket, or switching the valve on the filter.
IMG_20220509_163646723 (Copy).jpg

It usually stays on "recirculate". Which bypasses the sand filter, and returns water directly to the pool. The only time I turn it to "filter" is when I vacuum the sediment from the bottom of the pond.
IMG_20220509_163823372_HDR (Copy).jpg

here, you can see the skimmer, and return jet, It's handy to have, as the skimmer acts as the water intake for the pump, and also captures floating debris. The return jet helps the water to move in a circular pattern, and sediment is usually deposited about the center of the pool. The bog is plumbed in to the return line going to the return jet, with valving to allow me to adjust the flow to each.
schematic_20220509_0001 (2).jpg

I hope you can understand this. All you need to do is to run a single pipe to the bog, and build the bog/waterfall. The rest is already there, and no reason to disturb it. You have the perfect setup already in place. The BIG money has been spent, and no reason you can't complete this project in a month or two. It will be an ongoing project until completion, but the results will be well worth the wait.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 9b
Country
United States
OK, now I'm on my desktop and not a cell phone. Here's my swimmin' pond. I built it 2 years ago.View attachment 150497
It did not start life as a swimming pool. But as a purpose built natural filter swimming pond. I used swimming pool pump, filter, skimmer, and return jet. Reason for that is this: After having a fish pond for several years, I found that I would want to vacuum the crud off the bottom of the swimming pond. and keep it reasonably clean. Because water sports tend to stir it up in the water, and make it cloudy. Not so much in the fish pond.
View attachment 150498
The pool pump, runs 24/7/365. The only time I shut it off, is when cleaning the basket, or switching the valve on the filter.
View attachment 150499
It usually stays on "recirculate". Which bypasses the sand filter, and returns water directly to the pool. The only time I turn it to "filter" is when I vacuum the sediment from the bottom of the pond.
View attachment 150500
here, you can see the skimmer, and return jet, It's handy to have, as the skimmer acts as the water intake for the pump, and also captures floating debris. The return jet helps the water to move in a circular pattern, and sediment is usually deposited about the center of the pool. The bog is plumbed in to the return line going to the return jet, with valving to allow me to adjust the flow to each. View attachment 150501

I hope you can understand this. All you need to do is to run a single pipe to the bog, and build the bog/waterfall. The rest is already there, and no reason to disturb it. You have the perfect setup already in place. The BIG money has been spent, and no reason you can't complete this project in a month or two. It will be an ongoing project until completion, but the results will be well worth the wait.
Thank you for the detailed explanation. It seems I need add a new pipe from the filter outlet to the bog. It's a rather long distance (about 50ft); should I use rigid PVC?
In addition to the existing pump, if I do add a second external pump, how do I do the plumbing?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thank you for the detailed explanation. It seems I need add a new pipe from the filter outlet to the bog. It's a rather long distance (about 50ft); should I use rigid PVC?
In addition to the existing pump, if I do add a second external pump, how do I do the plumbing?
Yes, use rigid PVC, of the same size as existing. (probably 1 1/2") As to adding another pump, I would think it to not be needed. But if you add one it would have to be plumbed separately.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
In my case my pump runs 86GPM, which is a lot for a 6000 gallon pond plus bog. Another reason to add valves, slow the flow through the bog to allow a few more seconds for the plants and bacteria to do their job. The rest is returned through the return jet.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
but the results will be well worth the wait.
The wait can be a year or so depending on your area temps, your water and how many minerals are in it or city water and how much phosphates they add . your pond will need to establish it's self. USUALY DOES SO WITH LESS INTERFERANCE THAN IT DOES MORE

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 9b
Country
United States
The gazebo base is more than likely a 4" concrete pad and will hold just about anything you throw at it Now occasionally pool companies will opt for less concrete thickness and go with a higher strength yes thinner pour DIG ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE EDGING AT SEE WHAT YOU HAVE.

The pool pump is not designed to run 24/7 it is more of an 8 hour run time. if you use it you'll get the last bit of life from it so why not but i would leave what ever filter system you had up and running. in addition to making a bog. you have a great deal of water and for 30,000 gallons and a heavily used swim pond the recommended size of a bog is up to 50% of the pool surface area. I strong advise watching the multitude of videos that Modern design aquascaping has he just about covers it all and you will understand in simple terms the entire idea . I would go with a second pump hidden behind the bog. but you'll want to keep the pump as close to the water level as possible. External pumps are great at pushing pater not pulling. And in my book submersible pumps are Not ideal for a swim pond even if they are in a pump vault you still have electrical power in the water. With externals you do not. Yes there are gfi's but i'd rather not rely on it and prefer not having the electric in the water . they do go bad over time, and are recommended be replace every so often.

So if your set of the bog on the gazebo i would go with concrete block cheap easy and does not rot . you can easily pin the wall into the deck but i would still go with a liner inside of the block frame for ease and reliable. To skim coat the walls with fiberglass, water proof paint or plaster is not what i would recommend doing for the beginner and then throw 10's of thousands pounds of stone into the area hoping there's no leak. and that you have a bod that will last for decades.

In the drawing the tan is the bog inside the new cinderblock walls with rebar pins.
The rubber is the black line. ALL ONE PIECE TO THE POOL.
THE BLUE THICK LINE WOULD BE LIKE A BLUE STONE CAP

Where you have a very formal pool I would use a lot of stacked stone walls as well as some boulders. Build the concrete bog wall say two feet tall for a peastone bog . have the rubber epdm/ "my choice" be one piece where it is in the new bog area and is draped over the top of the new concrete wall down to a shelf or have two shelves one being from the gazebo deck and the other the pool deck. run the liner down the pool deck and have it drape into the pool this way any water from the spill ways falls or stream is on a large waterproof area and can only drain into the pool . The height youll have will be fantastic for a dramatic waterfall but the higher it gets the more it drops the more the splash will shoot out and will need a wider catch area or measures to stop it from getting outside the liner. That is not all that hard to do just have the falls in the shape of a U WITH THE FALLS BEING AT THE BOOTOM OF THE U AND THE SIDES protruding outward to catch the splash that wants to go out to the sides.

I would also place the external pump off to the right side of the gazebo behind it's own staked slate wall on the opposite side of the stairs. The idea of a second pump will save a lot of energy bill as pushing from close to the house all the way down to the bog is a good distance and back pressure. it will save you from . Digging out the yard running a new line all the way from the pump to the gazebo or if your able to find the return line outside the pool decking tapping into that line will not give you enough size and flow as they are usually only 1 1/2" or 2" lines good for only 4000 gph you'll want a minimum of 4000. A new pump you'll be able to split the power so the bog bhas a good flow but you can add other gph just to the waterfall View attachment 147227

ou can have multiple spill ways if you so liked if you want a sheet flow and formal or
Hello, just want to let you know that I've just started working with a local aquascape contractor on the pool conversion. And I've shared your picture above with them as what I want (thank you so much!).
Besides putting the wetland filter on the gazebo base, we are also looking at another option of putting it on the pool deck (right between the gazebo base and the pool). The construction would be easier and it will just be a simple waterfall into the pool. One issue is the deck is curvy shaped, the retaining walls can be built to be similarly shaped, the aqua blocks can be cut to fit the shape, but not sure if the centipede can be bent to fit in.
Please let me know if you have any advices. Thank you!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you want an honest opinion spend the couple extra dollars and put the bog up on the hill. Have a stunning stream come down the hill toward the left crossing the hill iand drop nto the pool they can may a stunning stream where it will look like 5 or more waterfalls . I believe I drew a photo like I'm suggesting

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 9b
Country
United States
If you want an honest opinion spend the couple extra dollars and put the bog up on the hill. Have a stunning stream come down the hill toward the left crossing the hill iand drop nto the pool they can may a stunning stream where it will look like 5 or more waterfalls . I believe I drew a photo like I'm suggesting
Thank you for your honest opinion. I fully agree it would be better. Yes I remember you have a picture like that.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The nice thing about this hobby / life style is you can always add or alter down the road . and to be honest again you should plan on such the average person has three ponds each bigger and better than the last. good luck

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 9b
Country
United States
That is not all that hard to do just have the falls in the shape of a U WITH THE FALLS BEING AT THE BOOTOM OF THE U AND THE SIDES protruding outward to catch the splash that wants to go out to the sides.
May I ask for a bit more clarifications on this part? The gazebo base is rectangular shaped (not U shaped as in my drawing), so very likely the bog retaining wall will be straight on the side as well. Then how to make the water fall in the shape of a U? (or we change the retaining wall to be U shaped?) It would be great if you have a picture what it could be like. Thank you!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you have a straight wall that 's 4 feet wide. the water flows over in the middle that leaves 2 feet to each side where water splashing can easily travel 24 inches or less off to the sides and thus leaking out of the Containment liner.
Take the same 4 foot wall but bend it now the same 24 inches comes out infront of where the water, lands but is now the sides are closer to the splash it will need to travel 30 inches or more to cause a leak. By getting outside the liner.
Splash .jpg

Ask a Question