Finally time to rebuild the pond

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Beautiful pond - I especially like your creative solution with the rocks. Nice to see a fellow BC resident on here - I've been through Merritt many times!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
Thought I would add a sand and gravel filter. Hope to not need it once the plants take over the bog.
IMG_0723.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I've been reading various postings as they apply to filter and saw your picture. I couldn't help but notice the garden hose attached here. I don't know if this is a supply hose or a drain hose, but if it's a supply hose please tell me you have a anti-siphone valve on the other end. If there is no anti-siphon valve you may want to read up on anti-siphon valves.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
Hi PondDave. The garden hose is a drain that I water the lawn with. I do have an autofill that I use when watering the lawn. It is designed for horse water tanks and can not siphon back

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Tx. That's good to know. I've been thinking of adding an autofill valve to the pond. Just haven't figured where I want to put it yet. And actually when I say that, I plan on attaching it to an existing water pipe that runs down to the lake for watering flowers and the power washer. But I have to attach a hose to it when I ever I want to use it. The plus side is that I don't have to worry about it why it's filling or toping off. I've over flowed my front pond a couple of times as a result of getting involved in conversations with the neighbor or getting side tracked.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
Tx. That's good to know. I've been thinking of adding an autofill valve to the pond. Just haven't figured where I want to put it yet. And actually when I say that, I plan on attaching it to an existing water pipe that runs down to the lake for watering flowers and the power washer. But I have to attach a hose to it when I ever I want to use it. The plus side is that I don't have to worry about it why it's filling or toping off. I've over flowed my front pond a couple of times as a result of getting involved in conversations with the neighbor or getting side tracked.
I left hoses on for 2 days filling my horse waters so I started using these. I turn on the tap, let them fill and when I remember then turn it off. I can then monitor the water usage. I do the same on the pond, fill when I want and then turn it aff so I can monitor the water level. Never have to worry about over filling the pond. I mounted the valve in the shimmer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
Had a few ask about the plumbing.
I need to drain the plumbing for winter so I have a bottom drain valve to shut off the pond line then a tee to a 2" drain line and to the pump and clean out . The clean out ends above the water level so a cap is not really necessary. The line from the Skimmer and bottom drain both have 2" valves to regulate the flows. In the winter the Skimmer has excess liner that I can fold up in front of it to close off for the winter.
IMG_0698.JPG

From the pump the tees supply the garden hose for the lawn, S&G filter,mid level bog and then finally to the top pond. There is a plumbing breather valve in the top after the last valve to stop water from siphoning back. I should have placed it before the last valve incase this valve gets closed an the pump is shut down it would not function but this valve does not get closed. The lower valves get partly closed to allow water to the top pond.

IMG_0723.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I just discovered (i'm new to forums) the beginning of this thread. What an awesome bit of handiwork you've done here. Love the pics. I didn't know there were anymore rocks in the world as it seems like everyone on the lake have been buying them all up. You have the perfect chunk of slope to accomodate your design. I'm envious as aw get out. I just discovered and joined this forum to learn more. I see you just posted some additional details on your plumbing. I for one appreciate it. I'm trying to figure out exactly what I want to accomplish with my updates. Less maintenance for sure. In fact I'm picking up a couple of tubs (one for now and one for next years mods) and plumbing tomorrow as I want to get this done sooner rather than later. It's getting late for me here, but I think I saw something that indicated you were wondering about "underlayment". I had some old medium pile carpet that I had on the sides and under the pvc pond liner for about 25 years and when I pulled the old liner up, I discovered it held up surprizingly well. In fact I'm going to go down to our local carpet store and check the dumpster as I plan I use it again. I'm also reading your postings (and soon others) on ideas for filters and plumbing in the freezing cold. Got down to -16 here last January. Again. Nice.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I built my own skimmer from the "Helix Pond Skimmer" design. Found a pool floating weir and basket and built a container for it from 2 -15 gallon drums.

View attachment 123828View attachment 123830View attachment 123831
from someone who lob=ves to build and think outside the box you can call me impressed with your build of your skimmer ..
Looks fantastic !! is it water tight or are you placing it inside the liner and running the pipe over and out of the pond or are you using a bulked fittings ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
The skimmer is outside the pond. I used the the barrel upside down so I could use the threaded cap. I used pvc fitting but it did not thread perfect so I loaded it with sealer and cross threaded it in, still water tight. In the winter I can drain the skimmer by folding up the liner and place a blocking plate behind to keep the water level up without letting water back to the skimmer and having it freeze. Still have to see how the pond winters, a little concerned as I will not be here to fix problems.
I am pleased with the skimmer, works well and would build another when I do a pond in the back yard. I call it a Helix wanabee.

Ask a Question