Good Foods for Great Health

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
Why Everyone Should Switch to Pink Himalayan Salt Immediately

Alanna Ketler | Collective Evolution
Have you heard about the amazing Himalayan crystal salt that comes directly from the Himalayan Mountains? It is packed with some pretty amazing benefits and is an amazing new staple to add to your pantry. It is an absolutely wonderful alternative to table salt, and soon I’ll explain why.Image credit: Jun Seita
The History
First of all, what makes Himalayan crystal salt so amazing? About 200 million years ago, there were crystallized sea salt beds that were covered with lava. Being kept in this untouched, pristine environment that has been surrounded with snow and ice for so many years means that the salt has been protected from modern day pollution. Many people believe that this pink salt from the Himalayas is the purest salt that can be found on the planet.
Minerals & Energy
Himalayan Salt contains the same 84 trace minerals and elements that are found in the human body, that alone is quite impressive! A few of these minerals include: sodium chloride, sulphate, calcium, potassium and magnesium. When using this salt, you are actually getting less sodium intake per serving than regular table salt because it is less refined and the pieces are larger. Therefore Himalayan salt has less sodium per serving because the crystals or flakes take up less room than the highly processed table salt variety. Another cool thing about this salt is that because of its cellular structure it stores vibrational energy. The minerals in this salt exist in colloidal form, which means that they are small enough for our cells to easily absorb.
What Exactly Are The Benefits?
Some of the benefits that you can expect by consuming this salt in place of regular table salt include:
  • Aiding in vascular health
  • Supporting healthy lungs and respiratory function
  • Promoting a stable pH balance within the cells
  • Reducing the signs of aging
  • Promoting healthy sleep patterns
  • Increasing libido
  • Prevents muscle cramps
  • Increases hydration
  • Strengthen bones
  • Lowers blood pressure
  • Improves circulation
  • Detoxifying the body of heavy metals
Comparing Himalayan Salt To Other Salts
Sea Salt
While still a better choice than table salt, sea salt is becoming increasingly over processed and let’s face it, our oceans are becoming more and more polluted each year, just think about the massive oils spills that have occurred. Because of the pristine conditions that the pink salt is kept in, it is said to be the purest salt available today.
Table Salt
Regular, commercial table salt is completely stripped of the majority of its minerals with the exception of sodium and chloride. It is then bleached, cleaned with chemicals and then heated at extremely high temperatures. The iodine that is added to table salt is almost always synthetic which is difficult for our bodies to properly take in. It is treated with anti-caking agents, which prevents the salt from dissolving in water and in the salt container. These agents then prevent the salt from absorbing in our own bodies, which leads to a build up and deposit within the organs. This can cause severe health problems. Studies have shown that for each gram of table salt that is consumed that the body cannot process, your body will use 20 TIMES the amount of cellular water to neutralize the amount of sodium chloride that is present in this chemically treated salt.
This is large in part of how salt has gotten such a bad name. It is not necessarily salt that is unhealthy for us, it is refined table salt that is inferior for our health. Aside from that, many of us are consuming way too much processed food. These foods contain astronomical amounts of salt, and it isn’t the good kind. It’s not about limiting our amount of salt; it’s about consuming more natural, homemade whole foods. This way we can add salt while cooking or sprinkle some on our meals without having to worry about high blood pressure and so on.
You should be able to find this amazing Himalayan Crystal Salt at your local health food store, or easily online!
Much Love
Source: collective-evolution.com

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
Can you go ‪#‎wheat‬ free for a month? If you do, you will feel like a new person! Try it and let us know how you do. ‪#‎WheatlessMarch‬

Day 2: There’s no easing into it. I want you to give yourself a complete, radical wheat-ectomy starting right now. It’s ‪#‎WheatlessMarch‬ and you can do this. ...The easiest and most effective way to eliminate wheat is to do it abruptly and completely. Now what are you having for breakfast today?

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Cooking with Clarified butter, a traditional fat that we have been using for hundreds of years. Animal fats do not break down like vegetable fats and cooks at much higher temps than even Coconut oil. If you try this with Coconut oil, the potatos will stick to the pan. But with Gee Butter nothing sticks to pan, cause it does not break down like other oils and turn into the bad trans fats. This is one of the fats that our forefathers ate and let us remember that over one hundred years ago when nobody used vegetable oil, nobody heard of a heart attack. Heart attacks are new to the last 80 years or so, when we started to eat vegetable oil. I still love coconut oil, but coconut oil does not work good for everything, and it does not cook at a high temps like animal fats....

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I am out of the real Canadian Maple syrup, but next time I will show you how to infuse maple syrup in the gee and make the best maple butter popcorn!!! It can also be done with licorice alcohol to get a light fluffy licorice butter popcorn, made that last night, infused the licorice alcohol with the gee butter and popped the corn in that, man was that very good too!!!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
1688468_817942218220653_1861404313_n.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep and I better stop..............right now I'm back on broth and watered juice to lose a couple pounds from eating too much Pumpkin bread my daughter made...............it was sooooooooooo good going down tho :D

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
The Fat Question: Why fat doesn’t make you fat
Written by Margaret Floyd on 08/05/13 am31 09:28 AM

why-fat-doesnt-make-you-fat.jpg

IMG_5807-150x150.jpg

By Margaret Floyd, NTP HHC CHFS
There’s a big ol’ myth out there that stubbornly refuses to die. It goes something like this: eating fat makes you fat.
From a basic caloric standpoint, this appears to make sense. Fat contains 9 calories per gram, whereas carbohydrates and proteins contain 4 calories per gram. If calories were the only thing to consider, it would stand to reason that if you eat fat, you’re going to gain weight because of the higher caloric load.
Well, first off – let’s clear up the calorie myth. If you haven’t done so already, please read last week’s post on why calorie counting is such a small part of the health and weight puzzle.
So let’s look at exactly what your body is DOING with fat. Is it just about energy storage in the form of chunky thighs and a big belly?
Many are surprised to learn of the vitally important roles of fat in the diet:
  • For one, fat is a structurally integral part of every single cell membrane in our bodies. Read that again. It is structurally essential in EVERY SINGLE CELL in our bodies. That’s a pretty darned important role. We’re not talking just “fat cells”, we’re talking every single cell for every single function in the body.
  • Fats are required in order to properly digest and assimilate those all-important fat-soluble vitamins: A, D, E and K. Conveniently, many foods containing these vitamins also come with the fat required to digest them. For example, the fat in egg yolks allows the body to access the vitamins A and D it’s so abundant in. So maybe Mother Nature had it right after all? This is another reason why pasteurized skim milk fortified with synthetic vitamin D is such a silly idea.
  • Fats are required for the adequate use of protein. So all the egg whites in the world won’t help you out if you’re not eating them with the fats in the yolk to access that protein properly.
  • Fats are a source of energy, and a nice consistent, smooth burning energy at that. In other words, the kind of sustained, even-keeled, constant energy we all long for is right in front of us – in fats. They also slow food absorption, which helps with energy regulation as well.
  • Fats are key players in managing inflammation in your body. Some fats help your body inflame when necessary, other fats help your body anti-inflame. Unfortunately, low-quality fats are in themselves highly inflammatory, but that’s about the processing, not the fat in and of itself.
fat-lg-300x300.jpg

So we’ve established that fat is an absolutely essential part of our diets and shouldn’t be feared. It’s a big bummer (sorry, couldn’t resist) that we use the same label – “fat” – for this vitally important macro-nutrient as the bodily condition we’re all trying to avoid.
But what about the weight issue? Isn’t dietary fat what resides on my inner thighs?
Here’s something really important to know about fat: it does not trigger the hormonal dance that creates fat storage the way that sugar and other starchy carbohydrates do.
When you eat something sweet, your blood sugar levels increase too quickly, and your pancreas secretes the hormone insulin to take the excess sugar out of your blood. Insulin is a fat storage hormone. It stores that extra sugar first as glycogen, and then as triglycerides (fat) once glycogen stores are full.
When insulin is activated, its partner hormone, glucagon, can’t operate. Glucagon’s job is to mobilize stored sugar back into the blood for energy use. These two hormones are constantly in a dance with each other and cannot be present in the blood at the same time. So either your body is in an energy-burning/mobilizing state (glucagon) or your body is in an energy storage state (insulin).
Sugar mobilizes insulin; fat does not.
It’s that simple. In fact, the fat in a sweet treat will actually help to slow down that sugar spike, and thus reduce the insulin surge, mitigating some of the ill-effects of the sweet. This is why the whole fat-free dessert thing is such a bad idea. Not only are you mobilizing a ton of insulin, you’re also removing the one thing in there that could slow that process down.
Another piece to this puzzle is satiation. The digestion of fats triggers your satiation mechanism. This is why low-fat diets are doomed to fail and such an exercise in fierce willpower. Your body is never satisfied without fat, despite the number of calories (one more reason why calories aren’t the be all and end all).
It’s quite the opposite with sugar or foods converting to sugar quickly in the blood (starchy carbs like bread, pastas, cereal, potatoes, etc…). These foods inspire overeating and binging in part because they don’t satiate and in part because of the insulin reaction we explained above. After insulin has done its job of storing that extra sugar as fat, guess what happens? Your blood sugar takes a big hit and you now are in a low-blood sugar space. What do you crave now? You got it… more sugar.
This means: eating fat makes you fuller sooner and longer. Eating sugar leads to a sugar crash which makes you hungrier sooner and in a position to crave more sugar. A vicious cycle indeed.
Now, are all fats created equal? Not by any stretch. In fact, industrially processed oils and rancid fats are ubiquitous in the diet and extremely harmful to both our health and our waistlines. But real, unadulterated fat from quality sources used appropriately is a key component of any healthy diet.
Here’s the bottom line: Eating fat doesn’t make you fat. Eating sugar makes you fat.
why-fat-doesnt-make-you-fat-eatnakednow.com_.jpg

Want to switch up your diet so that your body is in fat-burning mode rather than fat-storage mode? Join us for the next group Sugar Control Detox! Get on the list to be the first to find out.
For more reading on fats, check out:
Eat fat, lose weight
The truth about saturated fats
5 Reasons you shouldn’t be afraid of quality fats
Related posts:
25 Comments
Paige said:
  • Great article!
    I’ve started eating unsalted grass fed butter and cut way down on my grains. In addition to losing weight, I feel like I have way more energy!
    The most amazing shift has been that I’m sleeping a lot less. This was never my goal but I’ve gone from having to sleep 10 hours a night to 7.5 hours a night. I wake up with more energy than ever before!
  • Chase said:
    “In fact, industrially processed oils and rancid fats are [...] extremely harmful [...] our waistlines.”
    Incorrect. In terms of weight loss, a fat is a fat. Your body doesn’t care whether it’s saturated, polyunsaturated and monounsaturated. Now in terms of general health and well-being, yes, it’s relevant. But for weight loss, it’s not.
    Margaret Floyd (author) said:
  • Actually, Chase, weight loss is about much more than just calories in/calories out. There are many many examples of this, but for one that pertains very specifically to adulterated and rancid fats: these are highly toxic, and our bodies store toxins in fat. No matter how many calories you consume, if you have a toxic burden your body will not allow a certain amount of fat to be shed in order to protect itself, as it will mobilize those toxins into the blood stream and thus endanger organs. So yes, industrially processed oils are very harmful to our health AND our waistlines.
    How to Make Lard. . .and Why - Valerie Comer said:
  • [...] saturated animal fat worse than any other. No more. The tide has changed as evidence mounts that fat doesn’t make you fat. (There are many other sources—Google [...]Fat | Good Clean Chow said:
  • [...] loaded our trollies up with fat free this and that, without a second thought. I urge you to read this great article on fat, it reads fast and gives you some great advice to think [...]
  • Ten Things I Learned On A 30 Day Paleo Diet | Plant Meets Paleo said:
  • […] Fat is your friend. Before you go and get ready to send me an angry e-mail, read here, here AND here. Healthy fats are vital components of a nutritious diet. Healthy fats have even been […]
    Christina said:
  • Good read
    icon_smile.gif

Concerning your comment to Chase, how would someone mobilize toxic fat stores?
    Burger King's Saitsfries - 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community Weight Loss News and Current Events said:
  • […] I'm rather weary of the whole low-fat craze. Fat doesn't make you fat. Carbs make you fat. Read this article or this one (or google and find multiple other articles about this). __________________ Start […]
  • leon said:
  • Denovo lipogenesis has been researched and it’s generally accepted that the body turns sugar to fat only when excess amounts of sugar are routinely ingested ie constant overeating of sugar. Even then the cost of conversion from sugar to fat is 30% of the calories consumed. (Hellerstein. Denovo lipogenesis in humans. 1999/Acheson et al. Glycogen storage & denovo lipogenesis during massive carb overfeeding.1988)
    sal said:
  • Here are my macroeconomic and caloric intake this past week. Proteins 291 grams, fats 106 grams, and carbs at 120 grams with at least 36 grams of fiber per day. Granted I love to work out lifting and running but I have been resting the past three days. I have been trying to lose weight and get a nice, ripped figure. The bottom line, I was just too heavy. I was stuck at 208 pounds for months, once I changed my diet to all protein and fat, within weeks I am now 194 and dropping fast. I have figured out this, if I can bring my carbohydrate intake below 100, I will be a furnace burning machine. Granted, all my fats came from Avocados and almonds, which are high in fat. I eat whole eggs in the morning, about three to one egg white. 18 grams of fat. Of course chicken breast. It works. All my carbs come from nutrient densed foods only. Nuts/protein bars or shakes/vegetables/fruits/greek yogurt/. I stopped eating legumes, I love lentils, but I stopped. I feel better. No bread,sugar,cakes,candy,soft drinks. A great tip, I juiced vegetables and pour some into my blender with protein shakes. I love it. I firmly believe I will reach my goal weight of 177 pounds, muscle and ripped two months tops. Here is the kicker. I can workout on any workout program, it all works. Sal
    Beware of Thunder Fred! | Scribbles by Sean said:
  • […] out of our blood. Insulin is a fat storage hormone that is mobilized by sugar, not fat. Over at EatNakedNow, Margret Floyd writes, “It’s that simple. In fact, the fat in a sweet treat will […]
    Khoi said:
  • I’ve been researching around the web for a paper but haven’t got the answer to this question: where exactly does fat go after you eat them?
    I know the stored fat and cholesterol in your blood stream are converted from excess glucose, but what happens to the dietary fats????
    I’ve heard talks of its use as a slow energy source? what’s the process and how does it work?
  • My NON diet- Eating for a healthy mind, body, and soul. | When North, Is South said:
  • […] on in the 80′s that led to the fat-free craze of the 90′s that still lives on today, but fat does not make you fat. Anything high in Omega 3′s are great on your plate.This goes for everyone, but is […]
    Harsh said:
  • Margaret is having 150g of olive oil per day bad for you?
    How to Naturally Heal Your Gut | Soundness of Body & Mind said:
  • […] One of the most effective ways that I healed my gut was by consuming more saturated fat. If you’re wondering why saturated fat is so good for you and what are good sources of it, then read Eat Naked’s post on The Fat Question: Why doesn’t fat make you fat. […]
  • TJ said:
  • In depth article. Sugar, especially added sugar is definitely the worst thing to digest frequently. It’s surprising to see what sugar can actually cause health wise. I’m not a heavy sugar taker but I’ll definitely have to find an alternative for hot drinks!
    Can you have too many carbs? | Beets and Bacon said:
  • […] Barnard brought up this relationship between carbohydrate load creating weight gain in his article, writing that “The theory is that this insulin release promotes weight gain. What the theory’s proponents are forgetting is that insulin release is triggered by proteins too. Just as insulin helps glucose enter cells, it does the same for the amino acids that are the building blocks of protein. So it turns out that fish, beef, eggs, and cheese trigger as much or more insulin secretion as many high-carb foods.” Woah, woah, woah. I think it’s quite bold to be blaming protein for any significant insulin secretion and fat storage. While protein does elicit some insulin response, the glucagon response is much stronger, and therefor the body uses fat as fuel in that moment, instead of storage. Glucagon is a hormone that basically allows you to burn stored nutrients for fuel instead of storing them as fat- that’s what we want! So since these dense sources of protein from fish, beef, eggs and cheese contain very little carbs, glucagon is the dominant hormone over insulin and is therefor released, signaling glucose and fat to be used as fuel instead of being stored as fat. Yay! So while fat does have more than double the energy per gram, it doesn’t actually make you fat. […]
    George said:
    • What a brilliant article!!
      I have been sharing this for weeks since I found it! So many clients I have who are looking to lose weight and get healthy live off low fat things and wonder why they’re not slimming down.
      Fat is an essential part of our diets and while we should try to reduce the consumption of certain fats and to a degree fat in general (from a calorie point of view), it is important that you have an adequate amount of fats and that you try and get them from things such as animal produce ie. meat, milk, butter, cheese etc. I can’t stand people who come to me and say “I only eat low fat things such as margarine etc. because there’s no fat in it and is therefore healthier for me”.
      This article should be shared everywhere!
    • Grassfed Mama Why I am a Trim Healthy Mama - Grassfed Mama said:
      […] Insulin is the energy storing hormone and glucagon is the energy burning one. The two can’t work at the same time, so you are either burning or storing energy. When you eat carbs and fat together, the carbs are stored first by insulin, then the fats starts to be stored because insulin is already working. When you keep fat separate from carbs, insulin is never released and you don’t store it as fat. Coconut oil can help speed up your metabolism and continue to burn even more.
    • I have a question.
      We humans store fat in cells known as adipocytes. My question is, the fat that is stored there exclusively the fat that our body generates out of sugars, or is there also non-human-made fat stored there?
@mike. I’m not sure what you mean by “non-human-made” fat? This might help: our bodies break everything we eat down into its constituent parts and then our body uses it for what it needs – there are many roles for fat in our bodies. Eating fat doesn’t necessarily turn into fat storage. If you eat ANYTHING in excess – sugars, proteins, or fats – it will ultimately be converted into adipose tissue as fat storage. In our fat-phobic culture, it’s usually the excess carbohydrates that get converted to fat storage first.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
So do you have to drink that stuff every day to keep the diabetes away?
i would assume thats the idea. but i cant attest to anything personally. worthy of trying, maybe for a week, and compare BG level averages. maybe make a pitcher and drink a glass 20 mins before meals.

anyways, more on okra....
‪#‎Okra‬ is discovered to be a powerful ‪#‎natural‬ ‪#‎antidepressant‬
Read More Here: http://www.edenprescription.com/Okra-antidepressant.html

"}' data-reactid=".v">Like · · Share · 1,41170935

Ask a Question