addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yeah, well, I've had my share of crazies... I'm married to one, raised three more. And (don't tell anyone) but...I've heard it said that I'm a bit touched myself. A vile calumny of course...
You have joined a fun group of crazies!

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
I had it listed a lot of places, but now sold. Let me put a few thumbnails here so you can see it. My dear hubby, last year, after I spent about a yearish fixing up the 1987 searay said lets get a Carver so we sold and updated to 2001 boat. The last pic is the before kitchen.

Very cool! Thanks for the pics!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This is our new old boat 2001 carver, It also needs a bit done here and there lol

Attachments

• 20211006_110822(1).jpg
    20211006_110822(1).jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 20211205_100045.jpg
    20211205_100045.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 10

YShahar

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
That was my original idea. Then I added fish. Then you get attached to the fish. Then you start making modifications because you have added too many fish! Glad to see that you are thinking ahead!

Yep, I can already see where this is going... Let's add gambuzis to eat the mosquitos. Well, if we're already adding fish, how about some goldfish... Oh OK, I'll add a couple of koi... Until, a year and a much back-breaking labor later: "No, we are not adding more crocodiles! You already have four of them!"

YShahar

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
then you start making modifications to avoid herons!
We don't normally get herons in our areas, but we do have kingfishers, which ate all the goldfish I had in the smaller pond. The local kibbutzim that have fish farms have to worry about pelicans, cormorants, and all manner of other retired dinosaurs decimating their ponds, but hopefully we'll just need to worry about kingfishers. I plan on adding plenty of hiding places.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy
We don't normally get herons in our areas, but we do have kingfishers, which ate all the goldfish I had in the smaller pond. The local kibbutzim that have fish farms have to worry about pelicans, cormorants, and all manner of other retired dinosaurs decimating their ponds, but hopefully we'll just need to worry about kingfishers. I plan on adding plenty of hiding places.
cormorants?

YShahar

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
cormorants?
Yep. We see them a lot between here and the sea. In our area, there's less water, so they don't hang out here much (though we do get storks in great numbers).

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I was in my 60's when I rebuilt my pond . Dog fell in and ripped the liner and i decided to go bigger so went from 3000 gallons to just over 5000 gallons and that was the 4th time I rebuilt my pond . Moles chewed liner first time . Digging it out was bad enough , (heavy clay ) but worst was the weight of the liner and putting it in my self . So suggestion get help with that . I got stuck under my liner and could not find which direction to go to get out on slopped side. It was funny to watch it on the security cameras after . :)

YShahar

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
I was in my 60's when I rebuilt my pond . Dog fell in and ripped the liner and i decided to go bigger so went from 3000 gallons to just over 5000 gallons and that was the 4th time I rebuilt my pond . Moles chewed liner first time . Digging it out was bad enough , (heavy clay ) but worst was the weight of the liner and putting it in my self . So suggestion get help with that . I got stuck under my liner and could not find which direction to go to get out on slopped side. It was funny to watch it on the security cameras after . :)
Oh my! Yes, there's definitely a good lesson in that! ;-)

I plan to draft my larger half to help with the liner when the time comes. He's got a bum leg, and is also just about the clumsiest bloke I ever met, so I get him involved only as a last resort. We have a rule: I stay out of the kitchen when he's cooking and he stays well away from my garden tools.

The dog ripping the liner sounds familiar. That's how my former, much smaller pond met its end. In that case, it was also how we came to meet our soon-to-be adopted wild Canaan dog (you can read about him here: https://www.yaelshahar.com/chade-canaan-dog/). He came into the garden to get a drink and enjoy a bit of a swim, and ended up getting domesticated. But in the process he ripped holes in the liner. As the pond was by that time in deep shade from the fruit trees growing up around it, I decided it was time to retire it.

I'm hoping we won't have an issue with moles. I haven't seen them in the garden yet, but our neighbor has them in his yard a fair bit. He's got a lawn though, which may account for it. Hmm... Now you've got me a bit worried... How did you end up keeping the moles from chewing the liner a second time?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I had it listed a lot of places, but now sold. Let me put a few thumbnails here so you can see it. My dear hubby, last year, after I spent about a yearish fixing up the 1987 searay said lets get a Carver so we sold and updated to 2001 boat. The last pic is the before kitchen.

The searay was owned by a IT dude, no clue on how to do fix up. I had to reframe the fridge, the flooring, etc It had leopard skin carpet in it when we bought the boat.

We bought it at the beginning of covid lockdown, Here you were allowed to go to your boat or stay locked in house, so we bought a old boat. I had a good time fixing it up, really enjoy the work. And we had a fun place to go and mess around. We could not take the boat out, which made it a great year to work on it.
@YShahar ; what she means is, 'this is where the 2020 GPF budget got spent! heh heh....crazies? around here? I beg to differ...us CAstle doofs don't like that word, we prefer 'slightly eclectic', if you please....:cool::p

Ask a Question