addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
nope I don't touch it, I do eventually remove the rock. The plants wander all over the tub, I let them do what they want to do. I used to fertilize with osmocote wrapped up in a paper towel, stuck in the litter, any more I don't add anything.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I started 12 from seeds that I bought off E-Bay. 10 of them sprouted. 9 of them sent up three small leaves. Only 2 of them ever got any bigger leaves (and they are not very big at all). All of them are looking pretty sickly right now - edges turning brown and crinkly. I don't think I am going to end up with any left. I started them in the house in a sunny window planning on moving them out to the pond when it got warmer - still waiting for it to get warmer. It froze here a couple of night ago and none of our days have been over the 60s. I haven't given up though (addy1 has infected me with her beautiful pictures). Maybe next time I'll try tubers.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine were tubers I bought. I think of starting some from seeds, but that is as far as I get, thinking about it.
I have plenty from the tubers I put in the pots years ago.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
lotus1.jpg lotus2.jpg Addy1 do you think these might still make it or am I just prolonging the inevitable? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated - thank you.

Attachments

• lotus1.jpg
    lotus1.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 157

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have read it takes a while for a tuber to grow when started from a seed, but having never done it I do not know.
If they have green leaves I would give them time, see if they get going.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
That looks pretty much like ours when they first come out of dormancy, so I would say it's safe to give it some time and see what happens.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Thank you - I think spring is finally here - should I set them out in the pond or let them get a little stronger in the house? I appreciate very much all of your advice.

Patfish

Ignore the mask and cape
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I've also read that they need lots of fertilizer. My new one said that once it starts sending leaves up it needs to be fertilized 1x a month.
When I bought my seeds, it said the seed has all the nutrients it needs for the first year
Does that sound right?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
No I add half a plant fertilizer stick to mine after I see roots .I started mine from seed ,but darn it I keep giving them away but I swear these 2 are mine

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They stick down in the pot and no worse than any other fertilizer for plants .They are just tiny sticks .I have read a few of the pond fertilizer packages and all say not fish safe unless pushed all the way into the pot .I have also seen some that say not fish safe but safe to use in ponds with fish .So which is it not safe or safe .I think a lot on here use these

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This is what my pads look like right now. And a ton of anacharis growing nicely below them.
We were warm and toasty, recently cool and gloomy.

IMG_1232.JPG
IMG_1230.JPG

Ask a Question