Lotus question

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
You saw my pictures yesterday, now 24hours later they have broken the surface! I can almost see them growing!
7C35504B-8295-41B5-AFAA-83FEB0DD44BD.JPG
80FAFB05-4D7B-4E7B-9B67-E7211A417C8F.JPG
2977F1A3-DCBB-4113-B731-A3DF7603820E.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Someone posted the names of some chemicals you can use to kill snails. I can not find that post. Snails are eating my lotus leaves and there are thousands so too may to just pick off. Please post again what I can use in the pots (no fish) to kill the snails.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have two small lotus that I started from seed in middle of July. My pond water is still 75 degrees and it is the first part of October. What are suggestions to have them survive the winter? I am in Arizona so my pond water will never freeze but may drop into the 40's. They are on a shelf about 5" under water. I can not drop them to the bottom of the pond. I have very mean Koi who eat everything I try to grow on the bottom. The first picture is a Lotus in a round pot and is still putting up leaves but no arial yet. The second photo is the larger one but because of my stupidity I put it in a square pot. It has two arial leaves but now in over a month as not done any further growing. If I pull them out of the pond to overwintering the garage, how should I care for them?

IMG_5608.JPG
IMG_5609.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5608.JPG
    IMG_5608.JPG
    175.9 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_5609.JPG
    IMG_5609.JPG
    180.8 KB · Views: 157
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I know this is odd because my water in the pond is slightly below 60 degrees but...this lotus that I started back in July. It is waking up too soon and we are going to have a cold spell later this week. I think I will drop a water heater in buy the sprout to
IMG_0164.jpg
see if that helps it through the cold spell.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
don't know if anyone here eat's lotus roots
But it's delicious, light stir fry it's crunchy like an apple
Boiled, it's like a potato
Taro's are also wonderful, oops wrong thread...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Today I took another picture of this Lotus that is continuing to grow even though my water is less then 55 degrees. It is now about 1 inch out of the water. I can not figure out why it is still growing. I wonder what it is doing under the soil. I hope it is growing big under ground!
IMG_0232-1.jpeg

Ask a Question