Michaels dry lotus flower seeds

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
So I started round 2 on friday night after the raccoons feasted on my seeds and after this mornings inspection two of the seeds look as though they are starting to split a bit. I am expecting there to be some green visible by this evenings water change.

Reaction score
The seed that had the first stem break off did it while planting it and then I put the pot in the water. I am waiting to see if it continues to grow but right now it looked like it might be dying. There is still some green at the top of the seed so I will have to wait and see if that is new growth or growth that has not died yet.

Reaction score
To answer the question...The stem that broke while planting then put in the pond did not effect the seed, it is growing a new stem. Three of the plants had their second stem broken off, I suspect the fish did it, those plants are also growing new stems. So a seeding lotus, under water, can have it's stems broken and not die.

I don't know if the adult plants are different and die if stem break off.

Reaction score
I will post some new ones in the morning. After the first week it's pretty much the same thing, new leaves and longer roots. Have noticed a large root forming that looks more like a stem. It grows in an arch then goes down in the pot. All four leaves are open and tons of root growth.

Was doing a test and the ones in partial shade hate it. They are still on the 3rd leaf and 2 have lost a leaf to decomposing. The full sun ones on the other hand are going crazy.

Reaction score
So here are some updated pictures.

This is the bucket in full sun.
Picture049-1.jpg

The ones in the pond.
Picture045.jpg

This must be the main root or tuber its working on.
Picture048.jpg

Picture047.jpg

Reaction score
So here is another update.

Went out to the pond today and noticed the ones in the shade were actually in the air. It seems they are now searching for the light. It is one of the first 3 leaves and I read that they didn't move once they were open. Its about 3 inches in the air. Strange.
Picture053.jpg

Also checked my others in full sun and found out the "large root" thing was actually the first shoot and over night it has a steam and leaf about 3-4 inches tall.
Picture054.jpg

This is a leaf on one in the sun. About 4inches.
Picture060.jpg

So now that its got a shoot and its starting to circle the pot. I'll probably transplant in after a few more shoots. Will just drop it in a larger pot without cleaning off roots so it isn't shocked. Just toss the whole ball in a hole in the pot.

Reaction score
Here's some more pictures. About time to toss my small potted ones into larger pots.

Here you can see how its starting to spiral and working on its 3rd shoot. Hits the lip and keeps curving.
Picture062.jpg

Still has the outer shell on it. I took it off some of them to see if there was a difference, but doesn't seem to be one that I can tell.
Picture065.jpg

Filled this pot a bit to much with dirt and the lip wasn't high enough to stop the shoot. It went right over it. Will probably repot this tomorrow so it doesn't get to long.
Picture066.jpg

This one has started a second side shoot.
Picture069.jpg

Ask a Question