My almost complete pond

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Thank you both. Yes big difference from the before pics. Those darn koi will mess it up soon enough!

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Hi all, bumping this topic up as I'm in the need for planting ideas in the pond, around the pond and around waterfall. Colleen I have your plant suggestions listed in my notebook and will look for them.

Thanks for any help.

Wayne

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
THe 7 plants that I bought late fall last year [post #53] have all come up except the day lilly.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
callingcolleen1 said:
Get sedges if you can find them, hardy Rushes, Cat tails, Iris (yellow flag), Grasses such as the wool grass bull rush. Look for zone
2-4 plants. Good luck finding hardy pond plants. You may have to wait till spring now, :)
2 garden centers I checked have no rushes, cat tails, yellow iris.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wish we could mail to you, I would send you some that might make it there

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Thanks, I will be checking a few more places tomorrow.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I have some sedges I could mail you, the trouble is they are quite tall now, it would have been easier to send them in the very early spring, now they are several feet tall and would crumple up. Look in garden centres, pets stores, phone around different places, somebody has to be selling them up their somewhere. We have them at our garden centres and most pet stores here in town.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Found the yellow Iris, $17.95 for a 6" pot? Colleen sister, they told me the iris needs special soil, planting basket, plant food etc, true?

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
My yellow flag is not planted in any soil, and is 22 years old. I have made many cuttings over the years, and I just wedge the cuttings into the rocks, they do good that way and spread faster. The yellow flag can be left in the pot, but sooner or later it will turn into a root ball and bust the pot, brother Wayne...... did you know that I really do have a brother named Wayne? He lives just outside of Medicine Hat in a small town called Dunmore. He is my only brother, and the oldest in my family of five. :)

First three pictures are of my floating, soil-less yellow flag, last two pictures are of my older Sister. She has a cutting of my yellow flag that I gave her early this spring, which also is soil-less and naturally floating.

Most people are not aware that these plants do float in nature and during big storms will break away and float to the other side of lake and spread naturally that way. I have never heard of anybody else with a floating yellow flag iris, other than me, my sister, and a friend just out of town has a very large chunk that I gave her last spring, that is not in soil, and it just sits in her big deep stream.

Attachments

• IMAG9153.jpg
    IMAG9153.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 237
  • IMAG9838.jpg
    IMAG9838.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 255
  • IMAG9769.jpg
    IMAG9769.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 287
  • IMAG9996.jpg
    IMAG9996.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 280
  • IMAG9995.jpg
    IMAG9995.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 264

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Thanks Colleen, I'm off to another store today. I'll post more later.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Nothin! The base roots go down almost 3 feet and it just floats and has been like that for 20 years. I just cut pieces away from the outside each year! My sister has a little piece of floating yellow flag too that I gave her, she just ties it to the side for now to stop it from blowing around pond, but it adapts well to floating and holds itself up!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
In my first pond, I had some kind of iris in a pot on the side of my pond. I just happened to have a patch on it (preformed). The roots from that plant pulled the patch off and let me have a slow leak that took forever to find. I was going crazy looking in my waterfall for a leak. I had to drain my pond and when I took out the plant it had grown into the patch and there it was: slow leak by a root system. lol

Ask a Question