My new pond (Help and advice appreciated)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Mmmmmh, what was the conclusion? Didn’t fizz much did it, if at all, so could be sandstone. Maybe your vinegar was the problem, acetic acid may not be strong enough....was it Sarsons? Lol!

Didn't fizz at all...I'll get some citric acid tomo and test again

Aldi :p

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Have fun with the foam gun! I would practice a little bit before getting down to business on stuff that will show. Also -- if you haven't done it already -- make time to watch some of the Pond Digger's videos on waterfalls and such. He has great tips for using foam, foam gun, disguising foam to make it look natural, etc.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
make sure you have lots of rubber gloves on hand and be careful when gun gets near empty because it may spit and splatter a little .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
(y)Made a few changes to the top shelf of the waterfall...I have no idea what I'm doing but I'm looking forward to turning the water and pump on tomorrow

u1hdK95.jpg

odXpfuD.jpg

4Gr1vqQ.jpg

lIwznVt.jpg

rmkNol3.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Used the Left over underlay to line the whole mound to prevent weeds. And have 2 x 1000 Litres of top soil incoming to finish it off. Ive got some more Massive stones incoming to to place around the banks...The pics never do the size of the boulders justice tbh.

Just need to line the bottom of the falls with stones and Foam in ...I had the pump running without foam and TBH it was fun but the water just crept t the back of the stones.

Going to have a pool on ledge 2 I have decided and just need to sort the final spill stone for entry into the pond.

Got some heathers and ferns to plant witin the Big boulders on the mound as a sea of Grass would just look odd :p

:)

JNZd6bI.jpg

4D1g7f0.jpg

WcoQU5Y.jpg

Im going to remove the side rocks from the back of the pond and just let nature take its place and allow the grass to grow over and cover the liner...The rocks look a bit naff IMO and all the rock action needs to be at the falls.

I may place the odd large bolder in the pond for Dragon fly etc....But I want the pond to just look like a grassy pool :)

sHQREDe.jpg

t9hEMZg.jpg

ao3ANXx.jpg

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I love that square looking grey rock that is a real beauty and hope it is a focal point rock

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I have one job that needs doing at the end...Notice Moss rock? Well I found this in the garden under a clump of hedges...Apparantly what I can do is Take a bit of moss of it, put it in my magimix blender with some natural yogurt and paint the surrounding rocks with it and VOILA! Mossy rocks...

Ageing the waterfalls very quickly! :D

I hope this is not internet myth!

8VdJJ5Dl.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom

Great!

I know now it all looks a little "fake" and the mixture of rocks etc...But the cost so far for the rocks is 44 English pounds! And once mossy and weathered should blend in nicely with the water flowing and the planting etc...

Here in the UK by the East coast in yorkshire we all kinds of rocks even in nature....

Iv'e jet washed each one so with some weather and climate it should work quite well! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Quick question : I was going to leave the surplus liner in place to stop weeds...do you think I need to put some drainage holes in the rubber before |I lay the soil on top? I'm taking about the rubber surplus at the side of the falls...

I don't want the water to simple run down the slope into the pond when it rains?

I can cut the liner back on the side of the falls and lay Terram but it means me ordering it

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have one job that needs doing at the end...Notice Moss rock? Well I found this in the garden under a clump of hedges...Apparantly what I can do is Take a bit of moss of it, put it in my magimix blender with some natural yogurt and paint the surrounding rocks with it and VOILA! Mossy rocks...

Ageing the waterfalls very quickly! :D

I hope this is not internet myth!

I'm curious to see if it works!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have moss growing every where here but it needs dampness not water all the time .It may not survive if moss gets to wet and has a lot of movement from water.Liner should not be used for that even landscape fabric is not good for under as mulch will not have anything to grip onto .

Ask a Question