My new pond (Help and advice appreciated)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I have moss growing every where here but it needs dampness not water all the time .It may not survive if moss gets to wet and has a lot of movement from water.Liner should not be used for that even landscape fabric is not good for under as mulch will not have anything to grip onto .

Yeah I'll on paint it on moist stones not the stones getting hit my loads of water..:)

Won't hurt to try :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had some growing on my rocks by my waterfall but the sun on the pond killed it .It needs mostly shade and dampness to grow .My pond is in mostly sun all day .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I had some growing on my rocks by my waterfall but the sun on the pond killed it .It needs mostly shade and dampness to grow .My pond is in mostly sun all day .

Here with the great British weather we don't have that problem :p

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I love the sun but it can also be a problem .But I have moss growing behind the guest house because it never gets sun back there and on the north side of my house and out in the woods behind my house .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I got home tonight to find the pond has gone green....:( When I filmed my rock video on the 18th it was clear...What could have caused this algae build up so quickly?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Water temps and pond just going through normal stages ,

This is my first ever pond so everything is new to me. I'm going on Gut and advice from all you great people in the US and UK :)

Love mother nature..As a novice I'm learning so much and " painting " the landscape with rocks and plants is therapeutic :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Never say you are done because a ponder is never done .;)Best thing ever to lower your blood pressure unless something goes wrong ,which we all hope never happens .Ponds take time to grow and as they do they get easier to take care of .Each year you will see the change but not really realize it is a change for the good .But it will make you happy .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Great Blue did a fly by..................I saw him through our skylight above the bed.
Didn't even bother to get up to see if fish were safe as the net gives me serenity now
upload_2017-10-25_10-31-44.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I have decided to slope the left hand bank...I'm not into the vertical drop of it and the faff with hiding the liner with rocks. I just want a grassy pool :) albeit it needs to grow some more

wIq1GJX.jpg

The grass effect I like alot

0uxRemV.jpg

Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You might want to do like a lot of ponders have done to hide the liner, then let the grass grow over it.

Dig a shallow shelf, put some rocks on it, the water will cover part of the rocks, the grass will eventually cover them as it grows towards the water.
Tilt the shelf back towards the wall to keep the rocks from sliding off. Helps critters get out of the water also.
pond edge.JPG

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If that is a mostly shaded area moss would be great or even phlox this way you could get flowers come spring and bring some real color to taht area .I have phlox and a couple of others also have it .You could also do snow in winter plants .They have white flowers most of the summer here .They will grow towards the water and they love damp areas

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the advice,

Is there anyway I can increase the water flow of my waterfall, Can I use the reservoir to increase pressure and flow rate? I'm pretty pleased with what I have now but the final spill stones are little weak

I'll post a video tomorrow.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Do show us a video! That always helps a lot. But in general you can increase the action of your falls by A. upping your water flow (i.e., bigger pump) or B. managing the flow. At this point you are into B. Basically you want to make the water force it's way through, around, or over barriers. For example, two rocks placed close together where the water has to push between them. Or a small lip that the water will pool behind and then flow over. Or even a few rocks placed in the flow to affect the direction of the flow. Lots of things you can do with a few small tweaks!

Things are looking great! Your rocks are BEAUTIFUL!

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Hi everyone,

This is my first pond so go easy on me
smile.gif

I finished the dig yesterday and will be lining it tomorrow. I'm just a bit unsure about my Reservoir setup for my waterfall.Its 7.8m x 6m measure straight and 9m x 7m when measure with a flexible table down the side and bottom.

Its 1.2 M deep in the middle and from the pictures it has a number of shelves.

nL14AXml.jpg

2Bpy6cLl.jpg

ZahqBpDl.jpg

0x84HQfl.jpg

WCYDmzxl.jpg

IyU1AxDl.jpg

Ask a Question