New pond, new baby goldfish!

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Country; by the time koi fry are 3 to 4" long you would be able to see the barbels at the corners of the mouth. Most goldfish never get them, but I have seen exceptions to the rule. Also, in my experience goldfish will show a much rounder belly at that size than koi, but that may change with how much you feed them. John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Haro, thanks as I had no idea that the barbels would appear so soon. I suspect I will have to look pretty closely, but I've gotten some pretty good pics lately. It's so much fun, as all the babies look different! I can actually describe each and every one of them .... but I don't, as it would bore everyone. LOL Saw the tiny white baby again tonight, it has red and black spots on it's back. All are very cute! I'm surprised besides the one black that has changed so far to bronze, they all have distinct colorations. Again, they look like the Shubunkin that I SAW spawning earlier, so I'm sure they are hers. Second spawning I happened to see was also a goldie. I am not going to fret about anything. I know that the goldies and koi can interbreed, so it's not like I'm worried about having top notch fish, although eventually I will need to weed some of them out, I suspect, and then I can put them in an aquarium and see them closer and decide what I have. Local pet shop said they would buy goldies next spring as long as they had some size. I asked if 5" was big enough?!
Pond water is 65 degrees tonight, but I suspect we will still have some warmer days yet before it turns cold for good. 70's during the day and 50's at night is beautiful!

Ask a Question