New TV Show - Pond Stars

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Big Lou, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Big Lou

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

Nothing if you like it.

I had river rock in part of my arizona pond, the way that pond was set up it was hard to keep the muck from collecting in the rocks, string algae grew like trees out of the muck. I finally pulled them could not see them anyways after they got covered up with muck.

It is each persons individual choice, river rock, gravel, bare liner, all need to be kept somewhat clean in some sort of manner.

addy1, Sep 23, 2014
    j.w, Jeff Zimnisky and Big Lou like this.
    1. Advertisements

2. Big Lou

Mucky_Waters

Nothing wrong with it, in fact I have a ton of rocks all over my living-room floor. It's impossible to keep the carpet clean, and guests are always tripping and falling over the rocks, but I really like the look of the rocks. ;)

Mucky_Waters, Sep 23, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. Big Lou

j.w I Love my Goldies

The show is on tonight at 7pm here. I wish they would do a show on someone getting a clean out of their pond w/ all the big rocks. I wonder how much they charge to do these clean outs?
    Doing a pond and pergola tonight taking only 48hrs to build. Also the football guy is getting a pond and also a big bench made from a tree for an arena.

@Lisak1 I can see where yours w/ just the thin layer of gravel and rocks only along the sides would be easier to deal with but the ones w/ the big rocks all over the bottom would need the clean out control like they suggest. I know my fish like picking at any gravel or kitty litter that falls on my pond bottom and that stirs it up some so the filter can then suck it up. With you getting in there and walking around stirring it up helps too.
    I could also see someone putting rocks all around a shelf in the pond and being able to prolly stick a hose in there and swoosh all the stuff that gets in-between pushed out and down to the bottom where it could then be scooped up if you either have a gravel bottom or bare liner. I might think about putting a few larger lifting size for me smooth rounded rocks around my shelf to hold the lilies in place instead of the baskets. Then I could try the hose cleaning method to clean out anything stuck in those rocks. But my lilies did not do well at all w/o media in the pots so giving one more year to see if they do better and then back to media and fert. Got to try these things or you never know if they work or not, well at least I do. Inquiring minds need to know as they say :)

j.w, Sep 23, 2014
    HARO likes this.
  4. Big Lou

JBtheExplorer Native Gardener

Did anyone watch the show last night and laugh when they had to stop constructing the pond until they got a koi cam? because, you know, it would be impossible to install a koi cam once the pond was already complete...:LOL:

It turned out pretty nice though!

JBtheExplorer, Sep 24, 2014
    Big Lou likes this.
  5. Big Lou

j.w I Love my Goldies

Yep I watched and did you notice the lady who got surprised by the makeover of her yard w/a pond? They mentioned something about the fish and she said she didn't want to ever have to touch them. Guess she won't be a hands on pond owner :)

j.w, Sep 24, 2014
    Tula and JBtheExplorer like this.
  6. Big Lou

tbendl T

Maybe a hands on pond owner but a hands free fish owner... I have it DVR'd and will watch it tonight.

tbendl, Sep 24, 2014
  7. Big Lou

koiguy1969 GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!

that means they'll likely pay for a pond maintainence plan. haven't watched it yet. I think I will now!....

koiguy1969, Sep 24, 2014
  8. Big Lou

Yeah, I thought that was an odd thing to say. Never realized some people are scared of touching fish!

9. Big Lou

j.w I Love my Goldies

My fish love me and nibble on me when I'm in the pond. I like how they come right up to my fingers when I feed them. I just hope the lady learns to love them as we all do here. When she looked at them in the bag at first she made a yucky face at them but then smiled. Maybe there is hope :)
    I sure wish they did followups on the people they did the ponds for. See how they liked them so far.

j.w, Sep 24, 2014
  10. Big Lou

tbendl T

It creeps me out. I have handled sharks, rays, turtles, and octopus when I taught diving but never fish. The fish never allowed it and I just never had the opportunity. I was attacked once by, (don't laugh) the humuhumunukunukuapua'a (aka triggerfish but it sounds better when you say it in Hawaiian). So yeah I kinda fall into that category.

tbendl, Sep 24, 2014
    HARO likes this.
  11. Big Lou

Lisaebetten

Oh my wallie gollie, I never thought of putting them on my living room floor. I know my hubby would draw the line there, "either the rocks go!! Or I go"!!! I can hear it now. But I do have my sea glass, and beach finds in containers with other special geodes around the house. I have a heart rock collection in my 1/2 bath and kitchen window. I even have rock counter tops in my kitchen, how fitting for me!!!

Lisaebetten, Sep 24, 2014
  12. Big Lou

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

I would love to see pictures of your rock counter top.

addy1, Sep 24, 2014
  13. Big Lou

Tula

I watched it last night for the first time and enjoyed it, but hey, it's not like it's reality for most of us. I never saw ponds go in so quickly and huge koi too! I didn't note any discussion of filtration, so am thinking it's just rocks and water falls...is that the reference I read earlier to Aqua Scape styled pond?

Tula, Sep 24, 2014
  14. Big Lou

Lisaebetten

It's granite :) and a common one at that, but if ya really must see it...........and a few more. I didn't dust for you, sorry take me as I am cause I just spent 1 year of my life digging a pond! Wow I even have rocks in my soap dishes!! photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG photo 4.JPG photo 5.JPG

Lisaebetten, Sep 24, 2014
  15. Big Lou

mariobrothersleeve squirrel

I would love to see one of their tanks still running...... saltwater doesn't work like that!

mariobrothersleeve, Sep 24, 2014
  16. Big Lou

mariobrothersleeve squirrel

I have 4 inches of rock in the bottom of my pond for 7 years now and havent had 1 issue. Gravel bottoms get blamed for everything except lasiness.

mariobrothersleeve, Sep 24, 2014
    Jeff Zimnisky and Lisaebetten like this.
  17. Big Lou

That's the problem of a reality-type show. They'll never get into the real details of building a pond. They don't think their viewers will care about anything other than getting to the final product. Its probably why they create drama over a simple "koi cam" instead of explaining the filtration setup.

As we all know, building a pond could easily fill up an hour long episode with good footage, no scripted drama needed!

Tula likes this.
  18. Big Lou

koiguy1969 GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!

aquascape doesn't really employ "fiters" in their systems.. the streams, and stones throughout is the biofilter. they may throw some media in the waterfall basin.
    believe me, I am not a fan of rock covered pond, or aquascape for that matter. but it is what it is.

koiguy1969, Sep 24, 2014
  19. Big Lou

Lisaebetten

I have seen in person the bottom of an unrocked pond that had muck and yuck in it. When we scooped it out it bent the net and it smelled like sewage. I don't even know how many years that pond did not get cleaned out. Trees and gardens all around it. Nice yard, the owner just let it go nature I guess. It had a few fish and tons of frogs and tads. I don't know how they survived winters but they did. We cleaned it out and said we would come back in the fall to scoop out the leaves. Do the frogs go down in that muck to winter?

Lisaebetten, Sep 25, 2014
    mariobrothersleeve likes this.
  20. Big Lou

Lisaebetten

I have an aquascapes skimmer that has 2 layers of thick filter pads and a net in it with the pump to the falls box that has 2 more thick filter pads and a combo of bio balls and lava rock on top. I don't think they believe in no filter media do they? I got it because I wanted a skimmer and thats what I found on Craigslist.

Lisaebetten, Sep 25, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question