JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I watch many of the yard and house shows with "deadlines". Television drama being what it is I sometimes believe their deadlines are actual. Lot's of good editing. I just wish we had the money to have some of these great projects. :wacky:

I laughed on last week's episode where they couldn't find Brown Trout anywhere. Amazingly it was solved before the pond was complete! :LOL:

Reaction score
Well it's been about 30 hours and as I expected none of the people attacking me personally, especially @Lisaebetten and @Lisak1 were able to provide any examples of where I called them names, insulted them, told them to shut up etc etc. It's sad that some people get angry for no reason. As one of the Lisa's asked earlier, when does a moderator step in when 2 people are bullying me for no reason? Nevermind the fact that I just laugh... It was clear @Lisak1 was looking to start an arguement when she responded to my post about how I have come across many aquascapes contractors who know nothing. She isn't one herself, so I obviously wasn't insulting her. Then she proceeds to make up fallacies such as I don't think women should be "ponding". Where does liable like that even get dreamed up? Then I've got @Lisaebetten telling me to "shut up" and then calling me a bully. Really? Lol. Who is the real bully here?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I watch many of the yard and house shows with "deadlines". Television drama being what it is I sometimes believe their deadlines are actual. Lot's of good editing. I just wish we had the money to have some of these great projects. :wacky:

My brother in law works in a factory that makes aquascape pumps among other things. He said when they had their employee cook out, aquascape came in the morning and had the pond built and stocked by time they had the bar b q going. That was years ago and the fish are still going strong. Must have a great crew.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
YOU TELL 'EM Dave. I'm not a big fan of Aquascape myself. But I take the show for what it is..."ENTERTAINMENT" just like TANKED or any show on DIY or HGTV, theres the prerequisite "time constraint". some kind of close call or screwup that puts them behind schedule further. and finally, a customer reveal that makes them cry from joy! don't like it, don't watch. I mean WTH? YOU GOT A REMOTE? USE IT!!

Reaction score
As far as the landscaping aspect of building a pond goes Aquascape isn't usually too bad, if fact I've seen some pretty nice stuff. Most of them know how to avoid the usual mistakes of having exposed rubber liner around the shoreline, or having exposed plumbing, or having a rock necklaced looking pond. As landscapers they know how to select and place plants for a natural look, and they seem to know how to select natural looking rocks and proper placement as well, (eg. not having slate rocks mixed with river rocks etc...).
But beyond that they don't seem to have, or apply, much knowledge about superior filter systems, long term fish or koi care, or building a pond for low maintenance. Their standard practice of completely emptying a pond every spring and washing out the rocks they've covered the bottom with is something you really should be trying to avoid having to do in an established fish pond. But it does create work for their employees, and I'm pretty certain that that's the motive behind it.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Haven't seen it, and don't plan on seeing it.

AquaScape is simply using a new marketing tool to sell their products (which are of very good quality) by opening a market that shows that it is, in fact, relatively easy to create a backyard pond.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@Mucky_Waters so that is really what they recommend? If I had to empty my pond and clean bottom rocks every year I would not have a pond or if I had tons of money to pass out I'd pay someone to do it. I like the look of the clean rocks but too much work for me and I do enjoy watching the show but I'll stick to my rock-less bottom :)

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I like rocks in the bottom of my pond. Cleaning them isn't a big deal. I've posted many times on the merits of D-Solv and the Oase PondVac.

Rocks allow for the bare-rooting of lilies and marginal. I hate the look of pots. That's just me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have a thin layer. No big boulders or anything like that. I don't empty. I just do water changes about 3-4 times a year. Rocks are still visible and you can see the color on them. No gunk. I don't like seeing the liner either. I used one of aquascapes pumps for 10 years, they were amazed it lasted that long.

Reaction score
I have their skimmer and falls box but I did all work. Foamed my rocked walls together, No gravel other then the stream. used a single layer of kewanee flats on plant shelves. wish I would have made the winter whole larger so me, the fish hide and my net could fit!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The bottom of my pond is rockless, except for an occasional rock / pea gravel etc that makes its way into the bottom of the pond. To me it does not look like liner.
Not the best shot, pulled this off the utube video. I love rocks, had them one time, did not put them in this pond.

fish2.JPG
View attachment 75722

Ask a Question