PHOTOGRAPHY QUESTIONS...PICS 101

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
THIS THREAD IS FOR ANYONE WHO HAS QUESTIONS ON TAKING GOOD PICS...
my question now is.....why does my flash make my pic get taken 3-4 seconds after i push the button?...makes it tough to take good pics of individual fish or close up small groups. is it due to using macro feature? can i do some adjustment to make it stop? any thoughts?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Is your camera sending out the infra red to read the light and the focus first?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Water, I have to say that is the single hardest thing to have to deal with when taking photographs, the reflections, auto focus, how the light refracts. A lot of cameras try and focus on the subject yet refract back from the surface. I've experienced the delay as well on point and shoot cameras. It's a actual art to get really good clear photographs through water. Here are some suggestions I have found help. TAKE NOTES! time of day, where the sun/lighting is, what settings your using at the time. Try using auto focus and manual settings if you have both. If your using a Macro lense try it then try using without. I was thinking about getting a fish eye lense to go on the Macro lense. I was just starting to play with different UV lenses when my camera went to the shop. I just got mine back today. Took it out for a few shots and it's working, Now back to learning again! I'm interested in seeing what others input gets posted on this.
I did get a decent pic, nothing great of my single baby from this year. I've been looking for the pic I took when I found it in the filter backwash. As you can tell, the water reflection is really messing this pic up.

Attachments

• fall pics 2011 025.JPG
    fall pics 2011 025.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 328
Reaction score
Digital cameras needs time to auto focus and set the exposure. Varies by camera, like 0.25 to 1.5 seconds. The delay is normally in the spec. Some cameras also allow the button to be held down half way, telling it to adjust focus and exposure, so when you fully press the shutter can trigger fast.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
my better samsung camera went missing..so ive been usingthe old one,
its a sanyo VCP-S650..... MY PROBLEM IS... i see a pic on the screen that i want to snap...but by the time the shutter opens the fish have / has moved partially if not totally out of the pic.. and i cant locate the manual either.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
If your camera accepts them, a UV filter will remove the glare from the water's surface; simply rotate the filter until it goes away. Fishermen have been using UV sunglasses for years to help them see fish in the water. And if your camera allows it, adjust the distance so that you focus on the fish,not the water surface. And yes, many older cameras have slow reaction times; newer ones tend to be faster. You can find this in the camera specs. John

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
thanks addy....
fishin' ....like i said in the first post .. i started this thread so anyone who has questions can ask and those who know can answer. But also to share techniques and tips so every one who posts pics can post better pics.... I've just never had much interest in photography. just the usual few holiday family get together posed photos.

minnowman

minnowman
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
The polarizing filter from my old 35mm camera helps with glare. I hold it in front of the digital camera lens. Pics of light colored blooms usually show up too bright against a dark background. You can fix this by moving close to the flower so the camera adjusts for that brightness. The darker background will show up as black.

Attachments

• moon beam - Copy.jpg
    moon beam - Copy.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 317
Reaction score
I always use the flash outdoors, and never indoors.
Indoor photos I rely on natural light.
When taking pic's of fish I don't feed them cause they boil up the water too much, I've trained them
to stand around and wait in the beach quietly and pose, after I'm done taking pic's I then feed them.

I also try and take fish pic's early in the morning before the sun shines too brightly on the water,
or late in the afternoon.

also when you click down to take the pic, don't release quickly and jolt the camera.

p1070008fish__rev_8-9-04.jpg

p1010309fish__rev__11_21_04.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Joann your photo's are so clear it looks as tho the fish are above the water!

Ask a Question