So, how is your vegetable garden doing this year?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Rain has caused problems for my garden also roots can't survive in the wet ground and then the heat holds back tomato's .It is raining now and been raining since last night .When it rains it pours .Grass is growing so fast I can't keep up with it .Weeds grow even faster

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Veggies look real good @Nanner . How do you like to fix your beets and do you eat the tops?

Beets -We eat them raw in salads and the other way we love them is sliced thick rubbed in evoo and spices and then grilled...O man delicious.

Beet greens - young we eat stems and all in salad. Larger ones we eat cooked like spinach. Boil with some stock and spices...then add the hot sauce.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Beets -We eat them raw in salads and the other way we love them is sliced thick rubbed in evoo and spices and then grilled...O man delicious.

Beet greens - young we eat stems and all in salad. Larger ones we eat cooked like spinach. Boil with some stock and spices...then add the hot sauce.

Those grilled beets sound good. What other spices do you put on them...or, is it just whatever moves you? We also like to roast them and pickle them, but I'm not too wild about all the sugar most reciepes call for when pickling them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Those grilled beets sound good. What other spices do you put on them...or, is it just whatever moves you? We also like to roast them and pickle them, but I'm not too wild about all the sugar most reciepes call for when pickling them.

We keep it simple usually... Salt, black pepper a little onion powder and crushed red pepper flakes. We like things spicy. You dont want the grill real hot but a medium heat..about 6 to 8 minutes a side...cook them long enough to get a little tender but still has a little crunch.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thanks, @Nanner. My mouth is watering already...and, although we don't have our own beets just yet, we bought some great ones just this past weekend from one of the country stores that sells our products. Going to try grilling them! Thanks a bunch!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
We have a 8' by 32' raised bed out front by the pond, and a couple of squash beds out back. Swiss chard, Beets, Green Beans, Potatoes, Broccoli, B. Sprouts, Roma and Big Boy Tomatoes, Buttercup Squash, Spaghetti Squash, Summer Squash, Acorn Squash and Butternut Squash.
DSCF9068.jpg

DSCF9069.jpg

DSCF9072.jpg

DSCF9071.jpg

DSCF9075.jpg

DSCF9086.jpg

DSCF9088.jpg

DSCF9090.jpg

DSCF9091.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
We have a 8' by 32' raised bed out front by the pond, and a couple of squash beds out back. Swiss chard, Beets, Green Beans, Potatoes, Broccoli, B. Sprouts, Roma and Big Boy Tomatoes, Buttercup Squash, Spaghetti Squash, Summer Squash, Acorn Squash and Butternut Squash.
DSCF9068.jpg

DSCF9069.jpg

DSCF9072.jpg

DSCF9071.jpg

DSCF9075.jpg

DSCF9086.jpg

DSCF9088.jpg

DSCF9090.jpg

DSCF9091.jpg
is that your deer fence in the fore ground? we have lots of deer and need a tall pen to grow vegetables

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States

Nice gardens, Mike. Your plants look very healthy.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
is that your deer fence in the fore ground? we have lots of deer and need a tall pen to grow vegetables

One thing we have learned is you don't need a very high deer fence if you make your garden area longer and narrower. Deer will not jump a fence if they don't have enough "landing room" on the other side. So, instead of a 20 x 20 garden, you can use a shorter fence if you make it 10 x 40...or break the 20 x 20 up into sections. Our fence is only 4 feet high; the deer don't come into our garden. (The front yard is a different story where they eat everything but our daisies.)

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I feel the growing season is so short here in the Poconos compared to other places I have lived, but I guess yours is very short Mitch.

Ask a Question