"Sport Hunting"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
LOL I love a good controversy.
If you use the argument that we don't need to hunt anymore because the grocery store has plenty of meat, then we have to start examining where that grocery meat came from and the conditions they were raised under. When you start getting into that you'll have to admit that most wild game animals have better lives then captive animals bred for consumption. Admitting that you then you have to question which is crueler hunting or buying meat in the supermarket?
Most "hunters" I know pride themselves on a clean kill and don't like to things suffer. Also they'll exercise a degree of sportsmanship when hunting, but like just about anything else there are rotten apples in every crowd, and there are inexperienced people who'll go for the long shot that might end up only wounding an animal that allows it to run away so they can't finish it off cleanly.
If it's the word sport that you have a problem with then how about "sport" fishing? or sports car racing? or sports in general? Surely if we took all the billions of dollars spent and wasted on sports like soccer, football, hockey, etc,,, and put it towards constructive things like feeding hungry children finding a cure for cancer, or developing clean energy, our world would be much better off.

I don't hunt (anymore), but I do eat meat, and I carry a little shame in that I buy meat in the supermarket and doing so support that industry.

You bring up a good point...nobody ever has a problem with fishing...lol. You never hear of fishing protests unless its commercial netting or whale hunting or something like that. You never hear people complain about the guy on the lake fishing for his own consumption but a man with a gun going to kill a deer for his own consumption can be scrutinized like crazy. Like I said I don't care to hunt but I never scrutinize people who do. Alot of people in my family hunt and I love eating venison. I think people totally against hunting to the point they must voice there opinions should be vegan. You can't have a problem with hunting but not have a problem with the conditions animals are kept in at slaughterhouses and still eat meat. Its hypocritical. I don't think much about it and will always eat meat. Nothing is better than a good steak...

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Seems like as a man you're supposed to have the hunting instinct built in. I went on a hunt once, just didn't get it? Yeah I get the part about bringing home exotic meat. My high school buddy's father was a fish n game warden and they were avid bird hunters for the meat. Chukar, Quail. Good for them but for me...... Soooo boring.
nobody ever has a problem with fishing...lol.
I dunno about that, last year at the local kids fishing hole a woman was protesting loudly about....'being hooked in the mouth and dragged around'.. But ya, those are far between. Funny, I have 11 fishing poles but no hunting rifle?

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I enjoy a little controversy myself. I'm an Aquarius so it comes with my nature to be the "willing heel" of an argument. But I mainly like to get other opinions because I am open to new ideas. Still stubborn as a bull with a sword and roman citizenship though.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The deer were starving here the last few winters, too many of them, not enough food. You should have seen my evergreen cypress, groomed down to the trunks. I wrap them with nets now during the winter so they survive. This was done during the 2013 winter. They also eat all the creeping junipers, plants they usually ignore unless starving.

dsc06797-jpg.75767

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I cut down 2 large, white cedar trees 2 winters ago, near my pond. The next day all of the green was gone. There had to be bales worth of food. It made my job of burning the brush easier.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
The deer were starving here the last few winters, too many of them, not enough food. You should have seen my evergreen cypress, groomed down to the trunks. I wrap them with nets now during the winter so they survive. This was done during the 2013 winter. They also eat all the creeping junipers, plants they usually ignore unless starving.

dsc06797-jpg.75767

I see this all the time. I call them arborvitae lolliepops. Add that to the reason hunting is necessary

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Jersey Marine you kid yourself when you say we are at the top of the food chain my friend , go out into those same forests unarmed and see just how log you would last against nature because it wouldnt be long before you get a bear track you down .
All we have are the tools that make us the top of that chain.
If you have to shoot creatures because as you say you cut out the sick or ill animals then leave it to the expert marksmen, like the ones we use in the UK .
It annoys me whe I hear we are top of the food chain because its simply untrue
As to that dentist put him in Africa out on the veldt and see how long he lasts big hard hunter that he is [hes a caged shooter thats all and thats for sport]. :mad:

Dave

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Jersey Marine you kid yourself when you say we are at the top of the food chain my friend , go out into those same forests unarmed and see just how log you would last against nature because it wouldnt be long before you get a bear track you down .
All we have are the tools that make us the top of that chain.
If you have to shoot creatures because as you say you cut out the sick or ill animals then leave it to the expert marksmen, like the ones we use in the UK .
It annoys me whe I hear we are top of the food chain because its simply untrue
As to that dentist put him in Africa out on the veldt and see how long he lasts big hard hunter that he is [hes a caged shooter thats all and thats for sport]. :mad:

Dave

Dave

Whether you like it or not humans are at the top of the food chain. Whatever "tools" put is there so be it. I never mentioned hunting to kill sick or ill animals once in any of my threads. I mentioned hunting to control the population of animals so they can have a better life in their own habitat. It's great in the UK only expert marksman are only allowed to go and shoot sick or ill animals. In the UK regular police officers don't carry guns either, only specialized units. Dumbest thing ever.....Here in the United States we have freedom..a constitution that states we have the right to bear arms, apply for a hunting license by taking a mandatory class and hunt. Thank GOD for certain freedoms like that. I mentioned a hundred times I don't hunt but that's my choice. I don't look down on people who do and if that's what they enjoy they have the freedom to do so without anyone bashing them

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Whether you like it or not humans are at the top of the food chain. Whatever "tools" put is there so be it. I never mentioned hunting to kill sick or ill animals once in any of my threads. I mentioned hunting to control the population of animals so they can have a better life in their own habitat. It's great in the UK only expert marksman are only allowed to go and shoot sick or ill animals. In the UK regular police officers don't carry guns either, only specialized units. Dumbest thing ever.....Here in the United States we have freedom..a constitution that states we have the right to bear arms, apply for a hunting license by taking a mandatory class and hunt. Thank GOD for certain freedoms like that. I mentioned a hundred times I don't hunt but that's my choice. I don't look down on people who do and if that's what they enjoy they have the freedom to do so without anyone bashing them

You have a right to bear arms true my friend but that was to stop Red indfians from raiding your hoeses etc and us dang British from invading you again and is dumb we are your friends.
Police officers in the UK dont carry guns true only specialized units but we dont have the gun crime we see in the US .
I dont think god would approve of hunting its destroying his creation but please explain the use of tactical police weapons and weapons of war on sale in a hunting store to hunt deer with [are they too armed ]?
I know how to use a weapon I had the crossed rifles of a marksman in the military so I know that weapons like them should only be used in anger nothing else .
Look at all the killings through guns your country has dont you think if access to guns was limited then the killings would either stop completely or slow it down .
As to police not carrying guns My stepfather Allan is a retired officer aged 70, he is still capable of arresting a person he arrested a 220 year old a few months back for vanalizm the guy attacked him and ended up on the floor arrested so its not dumd to leave the police weaponless as they are trained to handle themselves in the UK apart from the specialized marksmen for gun crimes.
If you navigate the website you will also find submachine guns , browning macine gns etc pray tell me why you need those ?

Dave.

Last edited:

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Not to get in a political debate, I just want Dave to understand the here in the US guns are many peoples hobby. That's why exotic guns are available. I have a co-worker who talks about gun technicalities all day, has machine shop dedicated to his hobby. Many of us, including myself don't blame guns for anything, they're just metal and plastic. The cowards who carry out most of the violence with a gun would most likely find another way of disrupting society. Seems like stabbings are up in my city. Headlines this morning report one shooting, one stabbing, you pick. I have a gun, haven't shot it in several years but it used to be fun to go out and practice marksmanship.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question