Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Debates are not about who is right, they are about sharing opinions and listening to what other people have to say and learning from them.

I also feel this is relevant here... :D

funny-pictures-auto-comics-internet-387582.jpeg
I had to mess with Tim... lol but he won't mind
hgjghjghjg.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Jersey_Marine, keep in mind that "Might" does not make "Right"
Just because the US has the power, does not mean that every decision it makes is the right decision.
Leaders should expect to be challenged on their decisions. it affects many more people than themselves.
I think persons or countries in position of power need to be more aware of what the people that they are leading actually want.
Not everyone wants to be "saved" and obviously not all countries have the same cultural values that the US claims to have.

Reaction score
Fortunately not all US Americans have the same opinion as Jersey_Marine, I've met many US citizens here and abroad who are critical of their country's military, especially in regard to the last few wars they've been involved in.
In my opinion military might and war should be viewed the same way enemas and constipation should be viewed. As something that may be necessary sometimes, but you know when someone starts bragging about how great they are at it that something isn't quite right. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I've never been in the miltary and I certainly respect Jersey_Marine's commitment to his country.
That doesn't mean that I have to agree with everything he says.
Any of us have the freedom to express our opinions here, as long as they are respectful.
One of the few good things about the internet.

Reaction score
I've always had a lot more respect for an individual making the right choice than "patriotism". Too many war atrocities have been committed by men who were fervently "patriotic". We have no decision or choice as to what country we are born in or what the leaders of that country might do, but we do have a choice as to what we as individuals do.
Mitch do you also have the same respect for the patriotism of the Nazi soldiers and leaders and concentration camp guards? What if Jersey_Marine was born in Nazi Germany around 1920, would his same zealous patriotism in his country be as admirable? Or would you have had more respect for him if he took a stance against what his country was doing? Certainly the later would have taken a lot more courage.
Patriotism is not necessarily a good thing, but you are right about one thing, Nazi Germany had a lot of military might back then, it didn't make them right.

Reaction score
I should add that I have no problem with Jersey_Marine's personally and respect his individual right to express himself and hold his own views, and I would hope he feels the same towards me. I do have a problem with the thinking that patriotism towards one's country is always a good thing.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I associate patriotism with loyalty, and I admire loyalty.
I consider things like bigotry, lack of education, religious intolerance and cultural differences to be separate issues.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
I've always had a lot more respect for an individual making the right choice than "patriotism". Too many war atrocities have been committed by men who were fervently "patriotic". We have no decision or choice as to what country we are born in or what the leaders of that country might do, but we do have a choice as to what we as individuals do.
Mitch do you also have the same respect for the patriotism of the Nazi soldiers and leaders and concentration camp guards? What if Jersey_Marine was born in Nazi Germany around 1920, would his same zealous patriotism in his country be as admirable? Or would you have had more respect for him if he took a stance against what his country was doing? Certainly the later would have taken a lot more courage.
Patriotism is not necessarily a good thing, but you are right about one thing, Nazi Germany had a lot of military might back then, it didn't make them right.

Are you trying to compare America to Nazi Germany? You are crossing the thin line of being a passive aggressive punk. You're probably better off being a keyboard commando because you seem like a true coward and wouldn't talk so much crap if I was in front of you....Trust me........Remember....."People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" (George Orwell)...You are a sheep. Don't worry the world's police force (The United States of America) will protect you if the time ever comes where your country is in trouble no matter how big of a coward you are or what you think of the US..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Patriotism means supporting your country bu not necessarily its leaders.
If I were a german during the war I sure I would have fought for my country.
Not all german soldiers were nazis and they didn't know the atrocities hitler was doing as did the people..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Are you trying to compare America to Nazi Germany? You are crossing the thin line of being a passive aggressive punk. You're probably better off being a keyboard commando because you seem like a true coward and wouldn't talk so much crap if I was in front of you....Trust me........Remember....."People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" (George Orwell)...You are a sheep. Don't worry the world's police force (The United States of America) will protect you if the time ever comes where your country is in trouble no matter how big of a coward you are or what you think of the US..
I think this is taking the discussion too far. Name calling and implied threats are exactly what are kind hosts asked us not to do. If I'm in someone else's house, I respect their rules. I hope this thread gets puled.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I think this is taking the discussion too far. Name calling and implied threats are exactly what are kind hosts asked us not to do. If I'm in someone else's house, I respect their rules. I hope this thread gets puled.
I requested or rather suggested it get pulled also as I never realized it would go as far as it did.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
From a poem "The Charge of the Light Brigade"

"Forward, the Light Brigade!"
Was there a man dismay'd?
Not tho' the soldier knew
Someone had blunder'd:
Theirs not to make reply,
Theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to do and die:
Into the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred.

It's understandable that a soldier refrains from questioning his/her leader, but I agree that if the discussion cannot remain civil, there's not much point in continuing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Are you trying to compare America to Nazi Germany?

Clearly not, I think you missed the point Mucky Waters was making.

@Jersey_Marine You are way out of line with your comments here. Your aggression and rudeness will not be tolerated here. Consider this your first warning; there will not be a second.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question