This is disturbing for security concerns.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
It's certainly can be unnerving to find someone sneaking around in your back yard. Years ago I learned the value of motion lights, and any place I live now I make sure I have good coverage of bright floodlights hooked up to motion sensors. They not only alert us as to when someone or something is moving around in our yard, they also make it easier to do things out in the yard at night. There is no perfect security system, but motion lights in combination with plenty of obvious surveillance cameras is one of the best first line of deterrents I think you can have. For locks and alarms to be effective it means you probably already have someone in your yard or home trying to break into your house.

We had someone drive into our yard at the beginning of hunting season at about 2:30 in the morning.
They had to unchain 2 cattle gates before entering our yard.
What the heck did they think they were doing?
I think once they saw the infrared camera lights, they got the heck outta Dodge.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
Given recent events, a reasonable person would think that guns cause more problems then they solve.
All recent events have shown is that we need to enforce the laws that are already on the books. Do that and reopen the insane asylums !

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
We had someone drive into our yard at the beginning of hunting season at about 2:30 in the morning.
They had to unchain 2 cattle gates before entering our yard.
What the heck did they think they were doing?
I think once they saw the infrared camera lights, they got the heck outta Dodge.

Now that is weird. I would have given them a red laser dot light and a single warning report.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Which will not save you in a court of law if you use it in a situation that could have been avoided.

I would love to get into a discussion about guns, but I'm afraid it would result in someone (not thinking of anyone in particular) getting banned.:LOL:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I would love to get into a discussion about guns, but I'm afraid it would result in someone (not thinking of anyone in particular) getting banned.:LOL:

I was going to join that last debate. By the time I got to age 2, I realized many of us have strong, opposite views, and refrained from sharing mine. I don't think any kind of gun discussion thread here, would end well.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

Like politics and religion, best to keep out of a pond forum

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
Right, but there are no controls in place to restrict someone from owning a gun.
Private sales and gun shows throw any restrictions out the window.
Depends on the state. In pa long guns can be sold person to person with no restrictions. Handguns or other weapons such as "stamped" weapons must be transferred through a dealer. Gun show sales by dealers require an instant backround check for all weapons. You are also incorrect in your belief there are no restrictions to someone owning a weapon. There are many things that woukd keep you from legally owning a weapon. Criminal tresspass,domestic assault, any felony and even some misdemeanors. My little area are some of the most heavily armed buggers around,funny how no one gets shot.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
If unregulated sales are allowed in one state, then regulations in any other state are meaningless.

It's too bad that the topic of guns is avoided by so many people.
The reluctance towards discussion will only allow the "evil doers" to continue unabated.
That has and will lead to disastrous consequences.

Ask a Question