This is disturbing for security concerns.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You are also incorrect in your belief there are no restrictions to someone owning a weapon

Although being on the no-fly list apparently isn't one of the restrictions.

Legal gun ownership has never been an issue. The problem is people with criminal intent who could give a care what the law says about legal gun ownership. But those who are anti-gun will lump all gun crime (including terrorism) together in their argument against the Second Amendment.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
And for the record, I don't own a single thing that I would even consider shooting anyone over if they were trying to steal it. To save my life - yes. To save my property - no. I have insurance for that.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Keep it calm all is fine.

I have been shooting since I was a kid, rated expert when in high school, had a bunch of class3 weapons (full auto)I sold when I moved to md.
Kept the non class 3.
I have never hunted, just can't make those critters eyes shut for good.

Sleep with a loaded one, carry a few with us when we travel. Used to have a ccw.

Totally respect them, only pulled one when I driving home at 2 in the am, being followed by a car load of men harassing me. They pulled away lol.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
Although being on the no-fly list apparently isn't one of the restrictions.

Legal gun ownership has never been an issue. The problem is people with criminal intent who could give a care what the law says about legal gun ownership. But those who are anti-gun will lump all gun crime (including terrorism) together in their argument against the Second Amendment.
Many things could get you on a no fly list, a simple altercation in an airport or plane could do that and it wouldn't even have to be violent. The same infraction in a mall or other public place would not make you ineligible for ownership of a firearm . The real deep down point to any of this is the fact that good people do not shoot commit crimes. The criminals and bad actors among us will always find a way to be armed. The attacks in France prove that strict gun laws do not prevent gun violence.

Smaug

Reaction score
Country
United States
And for the record, I don't own a single thing that I would even consider shooting anyone over if they were trying to steal it. To save my life - yes. To save my property - no. I have insurance for that.
You are thinking correct Lisa,under no circumstances are we allowed to use deadly force to defend property. That being said,in Pa we have castle doctrine which means we do not have to try to get away before we shoot someone in our home.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
My attitude is that if someone wants something material that I have bad enough, go ahead and take it.

Sooner or later, the law (or karma) will catch up to that person.

Live to fight another day.
We're only on this earth once. I'm not going to risk my life for some material object.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I gave my guns away years ago when I realized that I didn't like killing stuff and got a little paranoid seeing weird guys wandering out in the forest with weapons. Lots of orange, two-legged deer get shot every year.

I prefer to fish, whereby if I don't want it, I can throw it back.

Hard to do with a duck, partridge or deer.

Smaug

Reaction score
Country
United States
I stopped hunting years ago but up until I did stop I killed about as many deer as Chevrolet. I still own my firearms though and I look upon them as a collection . Sometimes open the safe and admire them one by one for what they are,well made tools. I also used to be very into competitive shooting,not the stupid tactical stuff popular with the fat redneck militia type. I still keep waiting for one of my guns to grow legs and try to shoot me but so far it hasn't happened!

Reaction score
I was going to join that last debate. By the time I got to age 2, I realized many of us have strong, opposite views, and refrained from sharing mine. I don't think any kind of gun discussion thread here, would end well.
In forum discussions and gun ownership it generally comes down to a mater of self control as to how well things ends.

It perfectly understandable when you hear of people using their gun to protect themselves and their family if some masked criminals invade your home at night, but all to often the'll grab that same gun and use it when they find out their wife/husband has been sleeping with the neighbour, or they find out that another neighbour has been selling drugs to their kids, or when someone cuts them off in traffic,,,, etc,,,. When emotions run high enough human emotions take over and people often react with the strongest means they have available to them. It's no different in third world countries where guns are not as available, instead of grabbing a gun they just grab the household machete, which every family has.

Although it's not legal in Canada for the average citizen to own a hand gun, or any gun for that mater, for the purpose personal protection, I can understand the views of many US citizens wanting to possess guns for this purpose, especially in a country where just about everybody else owns one. You don't want to be the only unarmed person person in an country where everybody else is armed. That being said I much prefer living in a country where not everybody is armed. (y)

Smaug

Reaction score
Country
United States
You have a few generalizations mucky,I keep pointing to my area being heavily armed and yet no one is shooting anyone. You did get one generalization correct though, the mention of drugs . Remove the crimes committed because of drugs in the US and you remove a very large number of shootings from the list. Remove the crimes committed with guns because of drugs committed by inner city thugs and all of the sudden things become very clear.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Smaug, you guys have always had guns. We haven't.

Gun violence in the US is much more prevalent than in the Great White North, mainly due to easy access.

As to gun ownership. I don't care, but I don't think you need a machine gun in your closet.

Restricting gun ownership in the US is pointless. There are simply too many out there to do anything about it now. That horse has left the barn and has had generations of horselets (baby horses).

Reaction score
I can't argue the need for a machine gun!
That sounds like a generalization about the circumstances of the country you live in.
All I need is a motion light where I live. ;)
Perhaps Morewater has a point. Do more and more guns really make you feel safer? Do you finally reach a point of ultimate security when ever man woman and child has quick easy access to their own machine gun?

Actually I take what I said back, I don't really "need" a motion light, they just make me feel a little safer. :p

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I stopped hunting years ago but up until I did stop I killed about as many deer as Chevrolet. I still own my firearms though and I look upon them as a collection . Sometimes open the safe and admire them one by one for what they are,well made tools. I also used to be very into competitive shooting,not the stupid tactical stuff popular with the fat redneck militia type. I still keep waiting for one of my guns to grow legs and try to shoot me but so far it hasn't happened!
Careful there, buddy.... you don't want to piss off the fat redneck militia types. Those buggers are ARMED! But seriously, I think you've put your finger on it. My son showed me something on the internet that sent chills down my spine. Google "bumpinator" and check out the moron with the 10-gauge machine gun! The first shot may be approximately where he's aiming, but the rest are ALL OVER hell's half acre! These idiots are DANGEROUS!
John
And BTW, I'm not anti-gun. I own several and use them responsibly.

Smaug

Reaction score
Country
United States
That sounds like a generalization about the circumstances of the country you live in.
All I need is a motion light where I live. ;)
Perhaps Morewater has a point. Do more and more guns really make you feel safer? Do you finally reach a point of ultimate security when ever man woman and child has quick easy access to their own machine gun?

Actually I take what I said back, I don't really "need" a motion light, they just make me feel a little safer. :p
I do believe you misunderstood me. I see no need for a machine gun or any other fully automatic weapon. I actually have no NEED for any weapon at all as I live in a very sensible peaceful area. Matter of fact,the majority of my country is very sensible and peaceful with no NEED for a firearm as a weapon at all. It's the city's with the drugs and the thugs where good people absolutely should be armed so it's not just the thugs that ARE armed. Problem is that our most violent city's are already supposed to gun free in the first place as gun laws are extremely tight. But wait.......criminals do whatever they want anyway.

Ask a Question