This is disturbing for security concerns.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
No piling on at all, Smaug.

I can very easily imagine someone in the middle east making the same statement that Pecan made.
That's all I'm saying.
Western cultures are not the only ones that think they're doing the right thing.

Reaction score
This is the last gun I hung on to. It's hanging above my back door.
Although it's fully functional I view more as a historic art piece then a weapon.
2015-12-07%2015.56.57_zpsn9orqase.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
That's a very pretty gun, but it looks like it's used for show purposes.
Below is a picture of a girl that has to rely on her weapon for actual survival.

Kurdish female fighter.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You are funny. I carry that for survival when off grid (which is often and a 1 hr drive on dirt roads to the nearest cell service, 2 hr drive to the nearest town). Mojave rattlers are very common out there and the most deadly of pit vipers in North America because they have both a hemotoxin and neurotixoin venom. If bit, you might as well lay down and enjoy your last time on earth because you're way too far from help to get there in time. With a 45 LC round it is strong enough for mt lions, and black bears along with rattle snakes. Plus you never know what kind of bad two legged creatures you'll run into out there and there is no help if needed. I also carry a knife in case I am attacked by a creature and don't have time to draw. So yes I do depend on it for survival, I would not spend the night out there like I do iffin I wasn't armed. I also carry a Colt 1911 concealed at all times in town for the more metropolitan type creatures. All my weapons are shot often, it's like driving a car. the more you do it the more comfortable you are, and being comfortable with your weapon is important if you ever have to use it.

That's a very pretty gun, but it looks like it's used for show purposes.
Below is a picture of a girl that has to rely on her weapon for actual survival.

View attachment 88060

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I'm glad you think I'm being funny. I don't want this discussion to go south on us.;)

What are the differences between the 2 girls in the pictures?

1 No bathroom close by for picture #2.
2 No emergency services close by for picture #2
3 Much more capable weapon for survival for girl #2
4 ...and this is the big one.......person in picture #1 has a military force 10 times the size of any other country behind her to back her up.

I think #4 gives the girl in picture #1 a huge advantage and remembering that fact should help keep things in perspective.

- my wife had a look at this picture and said if she saw someone carrying a gun like that in Neiman Marcus or wherever, she would quickly leave because she would have the impression that she was in a dangerous place.:whistle:

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
You don't need a gun Pecan, you could stun anything with just a smile!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm glad you think I'm being funny. I don't want this discussion to go south on us.;)

What are the differences between the 2 girls in the pictures?

1 No bathroom close by for picture #2.
2 No emergency services close by for picture #2
3 Much more capable weapon for survival for girl #2
4 ...and this is the big one.......person in picture #1 has a military force 10 times the size of any other country behind her to back her up.

I think #4 gives the girl in picture #1 a huge advantage and remembering that fact should help keep things in perspective.

- my wife had a look at this picture and said if she saw someone carrying a gun like that in Neiman Marcus or wherever, she would quickly leave because she would have the impression that she was in a dangerous place.:whistle:

I understand the difference in perspective and thank God every day I don't have to use my weapon. May she keep her head down and her ammo dry.

But as far as your 4 points...
Point 1 - There are no bathrooms within a 2 hour drive where I have property, no buildings, just a fire pit and I sleep in the bed of my pick up.
Point 2 - There are also no emergency services within a 2 hour drive of the property.
Point 3 - I also have an AK 47 I take out to the property, similar to hers, only mine has a Trijicon scope.
Point 4 - You are correct there is no army backing me up. Just heavily armed family members.

When I say off grid, I mean off grid. My property is in the most unpopulated location of the lower 48 states. It is in the north eastern most corner of the mojave desert and sits at about 7000 feet above sea level in pinion pine and juniper forest.

As far as your wife, different places, different cultures. Open carry is not uncommon in Utah and we are the only state that actually has an official State Firearm, which is the Browning 1911, since John Moses Browning was from Utah. It's almost a requirement for all good Utahans to own and carry a 1911. :)

BTW, I wont be going into a Neiman Marcus anytime soon. Intermountain Farmers Association (IFA) is more my style.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
It sounds like you like to vacation in an area similar to where we live. It's a great environment to live in.
Last time I heard, humans can outrun snakes and mountain lions are just big cats. They should be treated as such.
Bears can attack, but you should know the difference between a defensive attack and a predatory attack.

My point is that if the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

There are less violent solutions out there to problems, instead of firearms.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
There are less violent solutions out there to problems, instead of firearms.

This is true. But the problem is there will always be weapons of death used by bad men. Regardless if we think people should be able to solve matters in a more civilized way. Peace is a beautiful theory and completely unrealistic. Hope for peace but expect that man will be man and be prepared.

BTW, I think it's much more humane to shoot someone in the head then beat them to death with a hammer when defending yourself. But that's just my opinion. ;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
The NRA has fostered a culture that believes more guns can solve all problems.
The problem is that everyone has different problems, and a different idea of what makes other people good or bad.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Not that I am a fan of the NRA, as I believe they are far too often willing to compromise when what they get in return is demand for more compromise... By I digress.

It is a fact that criminals are much less likely to attempt crimes in locations where they think people may be armed and willing to stand up for themselves.

Look at Chicago, has the tightest gun laws in the country and the most shootings... Pretty clear that mass shootings are almost always done in gun free zones.

"An armed society is a polite society" Robert A. Heinlein

When you look at countries that have completely banned firearms like the UK, incidents of violent attacked with knives, hammers and bottles sky rocketed after the ban.

Because there will always be people committing violent crimes using whatever weapon they can.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Good men should and must be armed.

The NRA has fostered a culture that believes more guns can solve all problems.
The problem is that everyone has different problems, and a different idea of what makes other people good or bad.

Ask a Question