UV filters HELP!!!!!

Reaction score
Extraordinary nice looking pond, and garden really. Very impressive!

To catch fish, you could use a net like this one, dont know the english term for it, its called a "cross net" in my language:
3242-000.jpg

Put it in the pond where you feed our fish, add food, and after a while they will swim over it. Just raise the net for miraculous catches.

Reaction score
Joylaine said:
SOOOO having said that, I am running two systems:
Laguna 2900 with a canister uv filter for 7000 gl.. The second is just a canister filter with an ALPINE HURRICANE WATERFALL PUMP 2100 gph .. I would like to replace the Alpine system with a better one.. I still get mirky water but we have had a lot of rain and my pond gets runoff..I want crystal clear water but to no avail.. This is a pic of my pond..It wraps right around to the far left corner of the pic.. I'm sure it's about 2000 gallons.. My question is, what should I keep, and what should I add for equipment?

It appears you have room enough to hide a lot of stuff, so why get rid of anything? Not sure what those canister filters are, how big and what media they contain, but it sounds like you'd have enough biological filtration.

What you probably want most, given the pond location, is a surface skimmer to collect floating debris, like leaves and pollen. It might not be easy to install one (or several) on the pond edge, but that would be best. If thats too difficult, you can buy floating skimmers with built-in pump. They dont look quite as nice, and probably more hassle to clean given their small baskets, but they get the job done.

After that, not sure, perhaps some close up pictures would shed more light on it. If its dirt particles, you could look in to buying a sieve. They are not cheap, but everything I read says they work extremely well for removing solids. Even better, but even more expensive are rotary drum filters. I wouldnt normally even suggest that, given their price, but, well, you do have a garden fitting for a palace :fish:.

Then again, the issue might be something else entirely and possibly simply cured with activated carbon or perhaps a protein skimmer.. need more pics and info.

Reaction score
Well thank you so much for the compliments.. I try hard to make it look nice. I think a big part of my problem is RUN-OFF.. It's like an english garden pond and when it rains, and it has rained a lot, I get runoff.. Also I think I was feeding them too much, so I stopped, doing it once every two days now. I did lessen the amount of fish.. It is a big pond, and I will post better pics. I haven't had any fish die from the quality of it.. Just Moby, and I am sure she died because her eggs got stuck.. Now she was 23 inches and HUGE, it broke my heart but I will not replace her because I'm sure she contributed to the poop more than anyone. She could eat a whole piece of watermelon herself.. I keep the debris off of it as much as possible.. When I get home from work, I go right out and skim. Had terrible problems with herons until I got the aligator head.. The Scarecrow, and the little electric fence didn't do anygood. I just want crystal clear water. I am going to replace the filters with low maintenance ones.. I have no backwash and am sick of mucking around in all that poo. LOW MAINTENANCE .. I have to do this by myself, and I work 40 hours a week..It's killing my social life.. LOL....I just want to pick out a good system with a good UV filter.
I have a Laguna 2900 pump with a horrid prefilter and a 7000 gl cannister UV (9V).
also running a 2100 Alpine pump with a cannister filter, no uv..

Reaction score
vertigo72 said:

To catch fish, you could use a net like this one, dont know the english term for it, its called a "cross net" in my language:
3242-000.jpg

Put it in the pond where you feed our fish, add food, and after a while they will swim over it. Just raise the net for miraculous catches.

Now that looks interesting!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
vertigo72 said:

3242-000.jpg

Yikes, when I type in fish net in ebay or the web.. I really don't get anything like that.. LOL..

Reaction score
I have a 10' x 13' pond my husband and I build about 10 yrs. ago. Every year I've had a little algie in our pond and it would clear up in about a week. This year has been different.
About 6-7 yrs. ago we build a Skippy filter for the pond with a 100 gal. tub. It has worked well, till this year. For the past 2 mos. I have tried everything to clear the pond, no luck.
So I purchased a Tetra Pond 9W for my pond. First time. Not sure how it will work, hope good. Only cost me $126 from a place called www.thatfishplace.com
I read it s/b good, is for up to 1,800 gal and I have about 1,300 g.
I installed it Saturday afternoon and today I came out to the pond smelling fishy, stunk and a lot of yuk in the Skippy filter. I am told this is the dead algea. I'll have to check filter in a few days. I did a little research and read the Tetra Pond UV is a good buy with some good reviews - not to mention not costing a fortune.
I too have quite a few fish. I have 3 large Koi and about 6 small mix fish.
You might want to check the price and the UV at that web site - I do know a larger UV to do a 8,000 gal pond would run about $208.
I am new to Garden Pond and hope this info will help, I know how frustrating it can be.
Good Luck - hope to hear how you make out.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
dc11648 said:
I have a 10' x 13' pond my husband and I build about 10 yrs. ago. Every year I've had a little algie in our pond and it would clear up in about a week. This year has been different.
About 6-7 yrs. ago we build a Skippy filter for the pond with a 100 gal. tub. It has worked well, till this year. For the past 2 mos. I have tried everything to clear the pond, no luck.
So I purchased a Tetra Pond 9W for my pond. First time. Not sure how it will work, hope good. Only cost me $126 from a place called www.thatfishplace.com
I read it s/b good, is for up to 1,800 gal and I have about 1,300 g.
I installed it Saturday afternoon and today I came out to the pond smelling fishy, stunk and a lot of yuk in the Skippy filter. I am told this is the dead algea. I'll have to check filter in a few days. I did a little research and read the Tetra Pond UV is a good buy with some good reviews - not to mention not costing a fortune.
I too have quite a few fish. I have 3 large Koi and about 6 small mix fish.
You might want to check the price and the UV at that web site - I do know a larger UV to do a 8,000 gal pond would run about $208.
I am new to Garden Pond and hope this info will help, I know how frustrating it can be.
Good Luck - hope to hear how you make out.

An Introduction on the proper thread would be nice.

Ask a Question