What does your pond look like ... Today?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Looks like it is mostly hornwort, no? I think I wanna try some this year. Your pond always amazes me at how early/fast your plants grow!

A bit more snow around the pond but been ice free for weeks! Water temp is mid 50s. Fish have been active the past week and all accounted for!
I didn't have hornwort in that pond, but now that you mention it, it does look like hornwort. Last summer it was mainly anacharis and lotus. I need to wander down tomorrow and check it out. I know my stream ponds, anacharis is growing like crazy. In the 1000 gallon pond the parrots feather is greening up quickly.

The bees love it, they land on the plants to drink.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
:wideyed::cold::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed: JB...
Tomorrow I get on a plane to go to Puerto Rico for 8 days.
I will try and send warm happy thoughts your way.

so you live in a fairly tropical climate, and you're going to another tropical climate for a holiday?o_O
Isn't that like me going camping to a forest up here somewhere?:whistle::)

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Fish moving around slowly, it got pretty warm yesterday but chilly last night. They can't wait for spring!
006.JPG
003.JPG

Found some worms, guess where they went?

Last edited:

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
I started hearing a frog Friday night, 11:45pm! One of those little, but really loud ones, so glad to hear it was in a neighbors pond not mine. Had one last year in mine that caused sleep issues to the point I tried to exterminate the problem.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I started hearing a frog Friday night, 11:45pm! One of those little, but really loud ones, so glad to hear it was in a neighbors pond not mine. Had one last year in mine that caused sleep issues to the point I tried to exterminate the problem.

I worry about the same thing. I had two toads calling last year, they were loud and slightly annoying but overall I could deal with it. If they come in larger numbers or if chorus frogs find my pond, it would certainly be a problem. My bigger worry is how loud it is from my neighbor's house. We've never gotten along, so the last thing I want is for the police to have to arrest my frogs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Warm, sunny day here :) I removed my winter net and fired up a small pump. Speaking of frogs, I found a big one, dead, in my skimmer :( It seems like that happens every winter, I'd like to figure out a way to prevent that from happening...makes me sad.

All five koi, look good, some nice lush algae and water celery growing :) Starting slowing with one pump, pulling water through the skimmer, no filters yet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Overall looking green, but not because of the plants!
IMG_2100.jpg

Winter algae! Collects everything instead of my filter getting it,ugh
IMG_2101.jpg

Only plant that is coming up so far is the marsh marigold.
IMG_2102.jpg

But the fish are happy! I have good surface water flow so I never get good fish pictures.
IMG_2095.jpg

Going to do spring cleaning in the next couple days so less green photos to come soon!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@JBtheExplorer , how wonderful to see so many frogs in your pond! I'm so sad, to have found a dead one in my skimmer today :( I'm hoping to spot some soon!

My water looks good, I think the Pond Breather did a great job!

It's always sad finding anything dead. Last year I scooped out a beautiful Leopard Frog that wasn't able to survive.

I was just outside and found 8 Green Frogs and one Bull Frog now! They're all coming out! Water temp is 50°F now, and air temp is 65°F. The Greens are even out hunting for food.

Ask a Question