What does your pond look like ... Today?

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
I worry about the same thing. I had two toads calling last year, they were loud and slightly annoying but overall I could deal with it. If they come in larger numbers or if chorus frogs find my pond, it would certainly be a problem. My bigger worry is how loud it is from my neighbor's house. We've never gotten along, so the last thing I want is for the police to have to arrest my frogs.
Ha! That's the same thing I thought of was my neighbors hating me for that incessant frog calling till 2am, and we DO get along. Luckily it's only for a couple weeks in spring.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You can hear our yard quite well, but everywhere else you hear spring peepers, frogs down in the streams etc. No complaints.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It's nice seeing the water flowing and the bog filled with water again.

IMG_6364 copy.jpg

IMG_6366 copy.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
It's nice seeing the water flowing and the bog filled with water again.

View attachment 89639
View attachment 89640
I love the look of a bog with the water exposed on top like that! And that is a lovely log!

Pond was 61F today in the deepest part, in the shade. Fish were begging big time, almost gave in! Killed 3 mosquitoes, not cool! But I fed them to the fish. :whistle: Tomorrow I am going in to bring up the lilies and maybe re-pot them. I at least have to remove all the string algae from them so they have a chance to survive!

Still green!
IMG_2112.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I love the look of a bog with the water exposed on top like that! And that is a lovely log!

Thanks! Having water above the gravel was a necessity to me. I wanted it for extra frog habitat, and doubles as a great bird bath! I actually find myself sitting by my bog more than my pond sometimes.

The log was a great find in the burning pit I share with my neighbor, I found it right as I was installing the bog, and it had a perfect fit! Has a great shape and the thickest part is actually hollow and curves over as a shelter for frogs and toads. (y)
Here's a couple old shots.
IMG_1810 copy.jpg

DSCN4957.png

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Are those Ranchu I see in your pond?

Yep.

1 mostly black calico, 1 gold/black huge one, one lemons head tancho with a red tail, one orange head tancho and I got a small calico blue one.

I got a couple of lionheads too. The pictures are only showing 3 of the ranchus. The second picture shows my pearscale and a real hard to see black red ryukin.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    234.2 KB · Views: 122
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yep.

1 mostly black calico, 1 gold/black huge one, one lemons head tancho with a red tail, one orange head tancho and I got a small calico blue one.

I got a couple of lionheads too. The pictures are only showing 3 of the ranchus. The second picture shows my pearscale and a real hard to see black red ryukin.

Wow, Nice! Do these fancies stay outside all winter?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes. I mistreat all my fish equally. Stay out in the cold.

Over the winter the pond had 21 goldfish (only 4 were single tailed), 10 dojo loaches and 2 minnows.

I only ask because I wondered how they fare in the colder weather. I'm in Ohio and we have similar weather so I'm curious as most folks who keep fancies outdoors all year live in a warmer climate. I have four young fantails I bought this winter (inside right now) that I would like to move to the pond this spring/summer.

How long have you had yours? How big is your pond?

Ask a Question