What does your pond look like ... Today?

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Very weird, I've never had them eat my Japanese Painted Ferns. Speaking of which, mine are just starting to unfold. My native ferns haven't popped up yet.
Maybe Wisconsin rabbits have more discerning pallets? Our other varieties: the Western Sword Fern (Polystichum munitum), Western Bracken Fern (Pteridium aquilinum), Licorice Fern (Polypodium glycyrrhiza), Deer Fern (Blechnum spicant), Lady Fern (Athyrium filix-femina) and Maidenhair Fern (Adaitum podatum) are all native to the Pacific Northwest and all ignored by the bunnies. My personal favorite, the Maidenhair, seems the most likely to be eaten here, with its delicate foliage:
image.jpeg

I love ferns!
Our Western Bracken Ferns are viewed as weeds by some in the Northwest, but I consider them a beautiful perennial, growing to four feet in our garden:
image.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Pecan, Beautiful! I didn't know we can put hostas in the bog! well, mine is full sun so might be too much for them..

Anyway, what's the plant with yellow/green that looks like iris leafs? it's beautiful.

Thank you! Yes I have had great success with Hosta's in the bog. They love it and over winter fine with pumps running or not. That is an Iris but I can't remember what kind. I have a lot Iris's in my bogs, they are very easy. .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I finally got my big bog completely planted. Its been a few years and this year it really needed some more perennials and some annuals for color.

One of my favorite new perennials I added this year is the Siberian Iris (last picture). It's leaves or more grass like than Iris like and it just opened it's first bloom today. Beautiful. I suspect with the amount of plants I added this year it will be a jungle in a month or two.

DSCN9371.JPG
DSCN9374.JPG
DSCN9373.JPG

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Most people would see this and assume it was a weed or grass. It's likely that I would too, if I wasn't the one who planted it there last year. This tiny plant is white Blue-eyed Grass (Sisyrinchium campestre). It'll be blooming soon. I'm hoping my larger and showier Blue-eyed Grass (Sisyrinchium angustifolium) blooms soon, too.
IMG_7275 copy.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
My yellow irises!!

IMG_5329.JPG

I forgot the name of this flower.. pink Obedient?
IMG_5331.JPG

Water willow!!!

IMG_5333.JPG

I love the chameleon plants, they are very hardy!
IMG_5334.JPG

The back yard came a long long way from infested with wisteria... when we bought the house we couldn't see anything from this point.
IMG_5339.JPG

IMG_5328.JPG

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Maybe Wisconsin rabbits have more discerning pallets? Our other varieties: the Western Sword Fern (Polystichum munitum), Western Bracken Fern (Pteridium aquilinum), Licorice Fern (Polypodium glycyrrhiza), Deer Fern (Blechnum spicant), Lady Fern (Athyrium filix-femina) and Maidenhair Fern (Adaitum podatum) are all native to the Pacific Northwest and all ignored by the bunnies. My personal favorite, the Maidenhair, seems the most likely to be eaten here, with its delicate foliage:View attachment 90694
I love ferns!
Our Western Bracken Ferns are viewed as weeds by some in the Northwest, but I consider them a beautiful perennial, growing to four feet in our garden: View attachment 90701
I love Maidenhair! I could have them at my old house but this new house has lots of sun I couldn't have fern!

Ask a Question