What does your pond look like ... Today?

Discussion in 'Garden Pond Photography' started by JBtheExplorer, Mar 18, 2014.

1. JBtheExplorer

CSMcMullen1

Trying to fix this so I can have a awesome pond. It rained so now it's half full of water again.

Attached Files:

CSMcMullen1, Feb 21, 2018
    1. Advertisements

2. JBtheExplorer

sissy sissy

Those are some bad cracks .Are you going to seal the concrete after .You may have to wait until summer to get it all done because a pond seal needs to cure and with those cracks will need several coats

sissy, Feb 21, 2018
    1. Advertisements

3. JBtheExplorer

CSMcMullen1

I thought of filling the cracks with a hydraulic cement then painting with a sealer of some kind.

4. JBtheExplorer

brokensword Not all those who wander are lost

maybe price out a liner to future-proof? My dad was a mason and he'd always tell me that concrete will always crack. Sooner or later.

brokensword, Feb 21, 2018
  5. JBtheExplorer

sissy sissy

freeze and thaw is the main reason .When the cement was not poured properly and allowed to cure right .Started to rain so weeding will wait but saw this on youtube and how neat is this

sissy, Feb 21, 2018
    Troutredds, CSMcMullen1 and RobAmy like this.
  6. JBtheExplorer

CSMcMullen1

2 kinds of concrete some that is cracked and some that hasn't cracked yet. This pond is around 50- 60 years old

7. JBtheExplorer

sissy sissy

Have to ask what is your water table like and do you get freeze and thaw as that effects concrete .Just like a preformed will shift during freeze and thaw .I know I dealt with that .It would shift up and down and even sideways in heavy rain .This was done to hold the fish until the front porch was finished and I left it in for 3 more years as a holding place for plants and baby fish and it was a big hassle so I decided to take it out murphy pond pictures 001.jpg

sissy, Feb 22, 2018
  8. JBtheExplorer

JBtheExplorer Native Gardener

Found a Meadow Vole nest under my mini bridge between my bog and pond today. Nervous about them chewing a hole in my liner, if they haven't already. I removed the nest quickly and two went running under my waterfall.

I'm not surprised. I've seen their tunnels in the snow all winter, and occasionally in the lawn for many years. They've taken up residence in my native garden, as well. They're neat little creatures, almost look like tiny muskrats. Definitely want to keep them away from my pond as much as possible, though. Hoping that no damage is caused.

JBtheExplorer, Feb 22, 2018
  9. JBtheExplorer

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

The first green frog spotted, cleaning out the bog it jumped into the pond. IMG_2162.jpg

addy1, Feb 22, 2018
  10. JBtheExplorer

CSMcMullen1

Our water table is high here. One obstacle I see if I get a liner is how to attach it. Right now the decorative rocks around the edge are mortered onto the pond. The back area that has a waterfall feature is all mortered aswell. How would I attach a liner and have it be aesthetically pleasing? But another thing is cost. My budget for this is not very extensive. Bill Gates I am most defiantly not.

CSMcMullen1, Feb 22, 2018
  11. JBtheExplorer

brokensword Not all those who wander are lost

The liner idea is only if you're seriously going to get into ponding. Not that you can't fix/repair the concrete, but imo, you're only putting a bandaid on the problem. You'll eventually (sooner than you want to) have to do it all again. A liner is made to flex and will give you 20 years at least unless something tears/rips it. And it probably WILL be your largest pond cost.

Re the rocks/border. If you can't separate the deco border from the pond itself, I'd probably just go over the rock border and create a new one. I'd see about berming up the ground around it (if I didn't want it 'elevated' visually, which isn't a bad option as you can then sit on the edge easier and be closer to your fish, etc) and adding landscaping to smooth out the area seamlessly. I sort of did that as I didn't want to haul all my 'diggings' away and instead, incorporated what I dug into a 2/3 perimeter which I landscaped. I like it. And if you have any issue with rainwater washing into the pond, you've now solved it.

Btw, unless the top deco border of rocks is anchored with iron rods etc, a good bit of sledge hammering will probably knock them free. I'd swing to hit from the inside and push out. You'd be surprised how concrete can take a pushing force/pressure but can't handle sheer stress. IF this is mortar, it'll be easy, but I suspect it's really cement, which bonds harder, so be aware.

Btw2; you don't really 'attach' the liner as much as lay it in and allow the extra to flap/flop over, then you lay your perimeter rocks over top. The best way is to have two layers and have the liner end slip under Layer 1, pull up once past, then lay under layer 2. This allows you to fill your pond to about half way up layer 1 and never see the liner.

No doubt there are permanent (or at least long-lasting, pending definition of permanent) concrete solutions but I think a liner is easy (and probably cheaper than professional conc fixes) if not that inexpensive. Again, I think it depends on how much you want to get into ponding. The natural freeze thaw cycles will get to almost anything unless you reinforce with a lot of rebar or mesh.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    brokensword, Feb 22, 2018
    addy1 likes this.
  12. JBtheExplorer

sissy sissy

Just thinking have you called a swimming pool contractor ,it may be expensive as I don't know much about the stuff they spray on pools .All I know is it is called gunite ,they even sell a pool patch kit [​IMG]

sissy, Feb 22, 2018
  13. JBtheExplorer

sissy sissy

[​IMG]

sissy, Feb 22, 2018
  14. JBtheExplorer

sissy sissy

they have this at home depot for 22 dollars

sissy, Feb 22, 2018
  15. JBtheExplorer

RobAmy

Some beautiful ponds& fish

RobAmy, Feb 22, 2018
  16. JBtheExplorer

sissy sissy

I am amazed at what some people do with their ponds ,bonsai what next .I would not have thought they could live like that .But you never know until you try it .I wish I had the time for that .

sissy, Feb 22, 2018
  17. JBtheExplorer

j.w I Love my Goldies

Pond partially frozen, net broken on one side again. Pretty tho. Warmed up to 35f so far.

IMG_8523.JPG
    IMG_8521.JPG

j.w, Feb 24, 2018
    Troutredds, cas and sissy like this.
  18. JBtheExplorer

sissy sissy

If I don't see more snow this year I will be happy

sissy, Feb 24, 2018
  19. JBtheExplorer

CSMcMullen1

I haven't had any to speak of really. It got cold for a few days that's about it..

CSMcMullen1, Feb 24, 2018
  20. JBtheExplorer

sissy sissy

We had 1 snow storm but snow only lasted 1 day which is fine with me

sissy, Feb 24, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question