What does your pond look like ... Today?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice amount of snow JB we are back to greenish grass but tomorrow it comes

Ad

Advertisements

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I love the look of others snow as long as it is not mine .Supposed to be 74 degrees tomorrow and sunny and I am getting lots done

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You are getting your snow fix! Great pictures of snow and ponds.

Reactions: j.w

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
We lost a few big evergreen limbs and one 20 ft. southern magnolia to excessive snow load. We ended up with about two feet of heavy wet snow. Now with rain and warming temps, it’s a slushy melting mess out there.

Reaction score
Open water where the aerator/bubbler sits in the pond. Although the squirrels and birds
can get close enough for a drink, I don't think the edge where they are at would support the
weight of a deer. There were a few yesterday afternoon venturing out toward the open water,
presumably to get a drink.

There were about 20 of them and 8 younger ones had ventured within 10 feet of the open water.
One of our corgis was watching and barked a few times. My wife yelled downstairs to me that
they were heading toward the open water. I ran to the sliding door and opened it hard. They all
ran off, but I remember the prior owner of the property telling me about a deer that had died trying
to get out and do not want that experience to happen.

I'm contemplating putting some rope connected buckets with a 4 foot fence stake in each one, and then
running some rope with flagging or bags tied to the rope to close off a perimeter around the open water.
I could have rope tied at about 2 feet up and another at about 4 feet up. Then tie flagging or tinsel to the
rope. Then interconnect to all the buckets and shore so that as the ice goes out, I don't have to worry about
recovering the fence stakes and buckets. I can keep the fence poles secured in the bucket tied to the handles
with wire and the bucket upright with some rocks or snow in the bucket.

We love watching the deer, but I don't want to try to rescue one in 14 feet of water with hooves
that present a danger as well. My 30 foot extension ladder would allow me to crawl out to the open water but
then getting the deer out of the water could be dangerous.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@corgi Love your caring for the deer that way and hope whatever you can do will work. I saw a rescue on tv last night of two Clydesdale horses that fell in through the ice in 10ft of water. How they rescued them is they took a boat and carved a trail through the thick ice somehow to the horses and tied ropes around them and pulled them through the trail of open water to land where they then used heaters and blankets to warm them up. They had a bunch of people working on this tho, not just one. Worked out well for those two lucky horses!

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
@corgi Love your caring for the deer that way and hope whatever you can do will work. I saw a rescue on tv last night of two Clydesdale horses that fell in through the ice in 10ft of water. How they rescued them is they took a boat and carved a trail through the thick ice somehow to the horses and tied ropes around them and pulled them through the trail of open water to land where they then used heaters and blankets to warm them up. They had a bunch of people working on this tho, not just one. Worked out well for those two lucky horses!

I sectioned off about 2/3 of the open water with 3 buckets, some garden fence stakes and some rope. Overnight a couple of smaller ones, based on the size of the tracks, jumped or stepped over the rope and walked up to the open water and then left the way they came. That's the story the tracks are telling me. So I removed the buckets and rope and got out the chain saw. I opened up an area in the pond about 3 foot wide by 8 foot long next to shore. I did this by using the chain saw to cut this in 1 foot sections and then pushed them under the existing ice and out of the way. The ice was about 1 foot thick. I had to make quite a few passes with the chain saw to cut this into smaller 1x 1 foot pieces to make them managable. By pushing it under the existing ice, I've created a small open water area by shore where they can get to the water if they don't want to eat snow , (that is what they normally do). They visited the area overnight so hopefully they will no longer venture to the middle where the open water is at. I just have to keep this open water area I've made by shore open as winter is still not over. If it does freeze up a little, I can always bust it up with the ice spud.

As a side note, I got out the ice fishing rod for a few minutes yesterday and fished the pond for the first time since I restocked it in spring of '17.

In about 5 minutes I caught 3 perch. The first two were smaller males about 5 to 6 inches long, but the third one was a very fat, and full of eggs female that went about 13 inches. Of course I let them all go, but it was great to see that 13 incher. I know they were spawning in the pond in spring of '18 and it looks like it will be happening again this spring. I only fished it for 5 minutes and I really, really wanted to fish longer, but I also love the idea of having a pond full of stupid fish that wouldn't know a hook if it bit them in the face. lol

Love the pond.

Ask a Question