What does your pond look like ... Today?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Those flowers do look good together and hey you look pretty good next to the pond too :smuggrin:

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Young Bullfrog. I've had two young Bullfrogs and one young Green Frog show up to the pond recently.
IMG_5883 copy.jpg

This first-year Swamp Milkweed is about to bloom! I planted it by the pond, but then decided I didn't want it there. I was planning on moving it until I saw the buds today. I'll have to wait until it's done blooming before I move it.
IMG_5892 copy.jpg

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Our old cracked concrete patio was demolished today. It was nerve wracking to watch it be carefully removed along the pond edge. I was sure the flagstone edge would be cracked or dislodged but it remains unscathed. I'll post pics of the new bigger patio when the job's complete. This job couldn't be avoided - our old collapsed concrete drain tile needs to be replaced with schedule 40 pvc. This too shall pass...
IMG_4585.JPG
IMG_4586.JPG
IMG_4587.JPG

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I keep having jehovah's witnesses catch me outside and want to recruit me to their religion. Unfortunately, I'm too nice, so I let them talk even though I'm not even mildly interested in religion of any kind.

Anyway, when they left, I walked over to the pond to see this female Monarch butterfly laying eggs on Swamp Milkweed. Great Blue Lobelia is in the background (growing in the bog). I haven't seen many Monarchs this year, so this was a nice sight. Suddenly, I realized my religion: I'm a native gardener. I should've tried recruiting those ladies to my religion.

IMG_6120 copy.jpg

The thing about having Milkweed next to my pond is that it's almost certainly a death trap. Three Bullfrogs were trying to eat her, so I had to hold them all back. The Bullfrogs are such bullies. Wish I didn't have so many of them. I prefer Green frogs, which I have five of, and Leopard Frogs, which I never get.
IMG_6121 copy.jpg

The Monarch ended up perching up on the fence. You can tell she's a fairly young butterfly. The colors weren't faded at all and wings were in perfect condition. She may be the generation that migrates to Mexico. I'm not completely sure.
IMG_6124 copy.jpg

Ask a Question