j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
What do you mean sissy................you have a pack mule.........put that big ole great dane to work to earn his keep,lol and maybe pee wee can be the cheering squad.............nipping at his feet,lol!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Herschel is in NJ with his mom and dad for Christmas .They decided to take him on a road trip so I guess they have protection .they wish LOL .I don't think I would trust to much coming up that muddy hill .Thats why I am taking a rope, figure it will be easier to pull it up the hill .As a matter of fact I called them yesterday to wish Herschel merry Christmas and they said he was looking all over for me .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well hope you don't fall on your butt sissy and good luck dragging it outta there. Let us see it when you get it home.

Reaction score
I have to admit, I like the river rock look around a pond. River rock always looks more natural than flag stone or that busted up retainer wall type of rock. I live here in the Northwest where we have many mountain streams and rivers. I like to use use my imagination when I look at someones pond, and wonder to myself, what could they have done in their pre-planning stage to incorporate big & small river rock like I see around here in the Cascade Mountain? My pond is small, but I have come up with a bit of another look using oblong river rocks standing on end around my pond, and arranged to create some kind of balance along with the wooley thyme, and irish moss. I managed to pick up most of my more interesting river rock down in Oregon at the Molalla River near my youngest sons home.

A buddy of mine from back in HS worked as an intern for the fish/game and wildlife management division and was stationed in the Eugene, OR area for a while. Out in the boonies in that area, they surveyed streams for fish habitat and ecology reasons. They ran into something rather bizarre. "Rock Stackers". Some very reclusive and unseen individuals were living out in the woods and hills and mountains and they had a weird ritual. They would gather and stack rocks into pillars in the stream beds for some unknown reason.

I just thought about this since OldMarine mentioned Oregon. It has nothing much to do with collecting rocks for your pond, but I found it amusing and rather strange.

However, I like the idea that OldMarine has stated regarding natural river rock. To me, using such rock is just more appealing and natural looking. Not to forget to mention that it is the fun of the "hunt" that provides inspiration and a sense of "personality" to the pond. Each rock that you find on a hiking trip and add to your pond holds a special sense of history and a story of its own. For example, there is a glacial till bluff just up the river from my cabin. When I take a boat ride up that way, I always look for a new exposed rock to take home. Sometimes there can be so many that the boat could sink if I loaded them all up. One year, there was a HUGE bolder exposed that was as large as a whole dumptruck. That was unusual here in eastern Nebraska where rocks are scarce. I didn't put that one in my boat! LOL

But, it is special to pick up a small 20-60 pound rock from that bluff and haul it home once in a while. Each rock has a story of its own that way, a memory of one simple trip up the river and a piece of ancient history.

Gordy

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Living so close to Arkansas If it was me I would take some day trips and ride north and see what I could find, Not only natural river rock but also there are many many rock places up there that sell right from the side of the road along with farmers that have the rock piles they will give away. Need a good size truck or trailer to bring back a decent size load but I've brought back from N. Carolina, Georgia, Tenn, MS. and Ark. Takes a while but it's part of the fun for me. I've bought my share but the fondest memories are some of the ones the Kids helped me gather and bring out of streams and washes and from the trips to the mountains. One favorite I have is a huge piece of petrified wood. It's probably 100# or slightly more, took us three trips to the creek to dig it out of the creek bottom and wag it home. I have had it now 22 years (We got it when my son was just a small baby) and it's moved with me 7 times over the years.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Funny, isn't it, how we can become attached to inanimate objects like rocks. I have rocks from all over Ontario, especially the north (which is all rock anyway). We'll stop along a back road to pick up something that looks interesting, and every stone has a story behind it. I spent a lot of my youth up north, and have at least a pebble from every place I've worked or camped.
John

kougs

kougs
Reaction score
I got very lucky. A co-worker has an acre and within his development which used to be farmland the farmer over many years built a wall (sort of) out of all the rocks he dug up plowing and this wall ran about a 2 football field length by 4 feet wide by about 3 feet high. I just had to show up, load and free.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I hauled rocks with me from arizona, never told them what was so heavy in those boxes

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Oh addy the poor movers backs were aching after moving you out that day I bet,lol!

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
I know a guy ,who knows a guy for my rocks,haha that didn't sound too good .oh well.

Fun times doing my pond,bad back an all.hehe

Attachments

• 8%20218.jpg
    8%20218.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 259

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
black market rocks wonder if the guys carry guns or shovels.Here we get granite rocks for 400 dollars for 17 ton not cheap

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
FISHIN -- you mentioned finding rocks in MS. What area? Hubby is from Hattiesburg and we visit couple times a year.

Anyone remember this movie starring Lucille Ball & Desi Arnaz: they are a newlywed couple (I think), honeymooning by car, pulling a travel trailer. She loved rocks and picked them up all along their journey, until eventually the trailer was too weighed down for them to pull it. Despite the "message," I think about that movie every time I find a rock to bring home :)

JoaniePA

Joanie
Reaction score
The Car Talk guys tell a great story about a young college kid in Germany who took his friends to the Berlin Wall when it came down so they could get a souvenir rock. They rolled a huge several hundred pound boulder into the trunk of their car. Being 20 years old, the brain cells weren't yet all working properly and they never considered how he was going to get it OUT of the trunk. They had to cut the car apart to get it out. heheheh.. Every once in a while (like, every day all summer long :razz: ) I decide to rearrange the outside rocks to make them look better. I am always surprised at how much these pond rocks weigh.

Ask a Question