Where do you get your rocks?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh, I thought he looks a little like Mr. Spock. Maybe he's hard at work digging Jim & Bones out of a rockslide on one of those cheesy planets.....

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've GOT to start taking pictures! I made a rock out of Polymer clay as part of a "scavenger hunt" Christmas present, and it turned out really good! The idea was for the "rock" to be the final item in the hunt. It was hollow with a removable bottom and hidden inside was a gift card. Ended up being about the size of a small canteloupe (sp?). I used some craft wire mesh and formed it into the rock's shape, then started adding the Polymer clay. If you're not familiar with Polymer clay, it's an oven-bake product, though not actual "clay." It's great for small craft projects, and was good practice for making bigger rocks (cement) later on.

Reaction score
I had been watching craigslist for months for free rocks, but they were always too far away. Finally, an ad popped up about a subdivision going in 4 miles down the road and they said people could take all the free rocks and dirt they can haul. It was like striking gold! I've been going off and on for a few months now picking up a few at a time and am slowly filling in the concrete streams that came with my house. I get so excited when I find a good rock, but I pretty much take anything just to get the space covered. Hopefully I can swap out the less attractive/natural looking ones later. Here are a couple before/after. (I still have so much to do...) I'm thrilled with the difference so far.

L1010014.JPG

DSC02660.JPG

L1010878.JPG

DSC01676.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
What a nice looking place. Love that stream and those beautiful rocks! What a score! And you say they have more? Wow good deal for you!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I did not know there are unattractive rocks LOL A rock is a rock unless it is a diamond .Has anyone seen those large chunks of glass some places are selling or the big green or pink quartz rocks .I asked a nursery about getting them in

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well to me there are rocks that are ugly(busted ones that have nobular hunky, gunky things sticking off them) and then so so ones and then there are the good looking ones and then there are the terrific, just the greatest hunky dory ones ever............guess it's all in the eye of the beholder sissy,lol!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Craigslist, huh? Never thought of that.

I did remember that there are 2 dads in our scout troop who are contractors. Next chance I get I'm going to talk to them about rocks they dig up, if they dig up any around here! Or maybe they know a good, cheap, local source...

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I still my rocks from addy and jw .oops never should have said that huh LOL

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have nothing and pleading the fifth .Silence is golden .Oh addy look at recent updates now there is another strange foreign post

Reaction score
Well, I prefer dark colored rocks and get really excited when I come upon them. They just look more natural in my setting, I think. I have a lot of rocks that are too white-ish and make it seem to look like a rock quarry instead of a natural stream. (Part of that problem, though, is that I have a lot of excess concrete I'm trying to cover - so bigger rocks are much better!). I was toying with the idea of trying to take some dark colored spray paint and try to lightly mist it over the light colored rocks to try to darken them. But I wonder if that would be permanent? Or make it look stupid as I'm no artist by any means.

Ask a Question