Garden Overhaul including Ponds and Streams

Reaction score
Hopefully we'll have the gardeners back by next Monday so we can get going on the garden. We're estimating the major landscaping will be done by the end of next week, hopefully :) Hopefully another 4 weeks and the posh work will be done, and I can get around to digging up what the gardener put down :p

Reaction score
In case my sister hasn't shown you guys some pictures of our garden, here are some :)

Attachments

• DSC_0200.jpg
    DSC_0200.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 349
  • DSC_0201.jpg
    DSC_0201.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 322
  • DSC_0202.jpg
    DSC_0202.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 348
  • DSC_0203.jpg
    DSC_0203.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 309
  • DSC_0204.jpg
    DSC_0204.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 327
  • DSC_0205.jpg
    DSC_0205.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 337
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Pond digging will be done today. Plan has been refined to one pond plus splash pool. I know the pond needs to be 4' deep minimum, I am 5' tall so it might be worth making it 4.5' max? How long, how wide and what shape? I think I will discuss with my mother (family artist) but if anyone has any do's or don't's please let me know :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
So the pond was not dug today, it will now be next week. Any advice on the streams too? We're only thinking about a foot wide, maybe 2? Over winter the movement should keep them from freezing, correct? I've just read a thread about using them for extra filtration, so that's always good. Will our pond be big enough for koi? I've read they would need 6x8 feet. If not we will just keep goldfish.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Bottom drains clean the bottom of the pond of fish poo and other stuff .I chose not to do one because if not done right or if the ground settles they can leak .I chose to just buy a pool net easier then a leaky pond and once you cut the hole in the liner you are stuck .Streams help aerate and filter but can freeze up in the winter and over flow there sides because of ice damming

Reaction score
Thing is though, we definitely want a stream because it helps to enhance the features of the garden :) We're planning on having the stream run from a pond over a waterfall that my railway will run under, which then runs into a cave of some sort that goes into a pipe that'll take the river over to another "cave" on the bottom level and runs all the way from one side to the other side into the bottom pond :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I doubt it will get cold enough where we are to freeze running water, but we'll just deal with that if/when it happens. It wouldn't be a huge deal really.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use a pond heater to help mine keep from freezing .I tie it so it is right over top of my pump

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
We have changed the location of the pond, it will now be one level up from where it was originally. In this new location we have more space so it will be wider and more pleasently shaped, with a wide end and a narrow end, I'd estimate the narrow end would be 3ft and the wide end 4-5ft, but we haven't measured it out yet. It will be possibly a bit longer too, maybe up to 7ft but I'm not sure.

It will still be 4ft deep minimum.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Digging has started! The main 4ft section has been dug and there will be shelves added next for planting. My brother is taking photos which will be uploaded soon.

Ask a Question