How to hide the liner

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If you could find sturdy black plastic crates, like milk crates or similar, you could place those where the shelf would be. and then set rocks or a barely submerged planter tray on top of the crates. Being black and being shaded by the rocks should make them close to invisible.

Anothe idea is if could find acceptable, large, flat rocks, you could set them on the bottom of the pond and lean them against the side. Matching them to the rocks that are already there might be a challenge, but Creeping Jenny (Lysimachia nummularia) and other plants would soften the edges. and might blur the contrast.
I thought of your first idea by hanging a long black planter and supporting it with rebar driven into the ground and attaching it with wire covered with Black tubing then add rocks into the planter up to the existing rocks.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Can rock on a roll continue down into the pond?
yes . i would probably lean toward a little of both. a little rock and roll here a little fabric and plants there. maybe even stuff a piece of drift wood in there

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I thought of your first idea by hanging a long black planter and supporting it with rebar driven into the ground and attaching it with wire covered with Black tubing then add rocks into the planter up to the existing rocks.
I used coca coir and overhung the sides. Similar to using landscape fabric, I put some sedum near then they grew into the fabric and helped cover the liner. Coco coir will wick water, so the plants/roots can get nourished.

I'd still figure out if you can, with some labor/work, pull all your stones back, lower the water a foot, pull the liner toward the center, backfill that new gap and create a 4" shelf 4" from the top/bank, then you'd have room to place rocks there and cover the liner. IMO, the best way is to HAVE that 4" shelf to let water rise halfway up, and then all you see is stone on the edge, while allowing plants to grow and cover eventually. Seems like some work, but you'll be a lot happier camper for a lot longer!

Ya know those up in the Castle LIKES ta see their serfage hard at work, diggin', diggin', well, usually moats and stuff, but well, you just KNOW the OTG smuggled some koi in there last spring! Shhhh, don't tell Supreme Mama, else she'll send your dragon yorkies down at us!

'let's Ride!'

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
but well, you just KNOW the OTG smuggled some koi
How does one, smuggle koi ……wear cargo pants and stick them in there pockets or just right down the pants…that a koi in your pants or are you just happy to see me…. what does OTG stand for again….the only thing that comes to mind is over the hill gang

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@brokensword I'm betting you live at the renaissance fairs. Have to admit i enjoy them but for photography character. Is this you behind the mask
King Richards Joust (100 of 1).jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
How does one, smuggle koi ……wear cargo pants and stick them in there pockets or just right down the pants…that a koi in your pants or are you just happy to see me…. what does OTG stand for again….the only thing that comes to mind is over the hill gang
ohhhhhh so very close, jhn! Off Topic Gang. We got branded and well, like any good rebellion, we takes it and runs wit it!

You'll see if you use the coco coir, it'll degrade with time but it's great for wicking water to the roots! There, AMTI stamped! Jus' fer dem 'eyes', dontcha know!

We COULD go with your suggestion, jhn, but not sure Dime is gonna like it...the rest of us just hoist up our Geritol pantaloons and hike on up into the saddle...

Oh, we TRIED doing it YOUR way (all nekid and falling through ugly trees) but there were too many burrs to take out; Dime was NOT happy, let me tell you!

'let's Ride!' the clarion call no one can resist!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@brokensword I'm betting you live at the renaissance fairs. Have to admit i enjoy them but for photography character. Is this you behind the maskView attachment 147073
naw, I don't wear no pail upside down...sheesh, GB; ya gotta think more 'Zorro', ya know?

Best thing I did upon expansion was to MAKE sure I had shelves to cover the liner at water level! Didn't know about that trick when I build pond v1. Helps to have plantings and logs to break up the string of pearls look to edging with all stone, ya know!

And if you make the plantings thick enough, keeps those nosey mind yer own business 'eyes' offn yer stuff, hey?

let's ride!

AMTI strikes again!

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
naw, I don't wear no pail upside down...sheesh, GB; ya gotta think more 'Zorro', ya know
So it’s dirty underwear with two eye holes cut in ……got it…and everyone gives me a hard time for fighting nekkid

like Suggestions of medium that will grow plants being hung under rocks and over the liner into water….trying to avoid being part of the OTG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
So it’s dirty underwear with two eye holes cut in ……got it…and everyone gives me a hard time for fighting nekkid

like Suggestions of medium that will grow plants being hung under rocks and over the liner into water….trying to avoid being part of the OTG
Resistance is futile
1644004239530.gif

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Best thing I did upon expansion was to MAKE sure I had shelves to cover the liner at water level! Didn't know about that trick when I build pond v1. Helps to have plantings and logs to break up the string of pearls look to edging with all stone, ya know!
I dug my under the rock shelf, reached a depth where I hit our septic line. Per all the levels it was lower than the level the water would be. Nope it was at full water level, there went my hide the liner rock shelf. But I did lay a bunch of nice flat, round etc rocks on the shelf and built up the 4 foot rock wall (up slope side) to hide the amount I had to dig it down to make a level pond. I had that rock wall built nicely stacked two pallets of small boulders before the pond was filled. No way would I take it apart to pull the liner out to make the shelf lower.

Our dirt is a bit of dirt and bunch of shale. Miserable to dig, pull out a piece of shale and the wall you had nicely made is messed up. And I would never build on this steep of a slope again.

So unless a deer, racoon, ground hog comes and knocks one of those rocks in the liner is hidden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States

admirable job, so far, except for the underwear jabs...sniff, some of us ain't got jhn's where-with-all, and considerin' it's YOUR idea to do everythign nekid, I'm thinking some dirty underwear might be an improvement!!

I added a couple logs, though more to give your eye a destination. Tried to put some as a 'border' but didn't look natural. A bit harder when contained inside the pondhouse. I like how GB and you've done it, though!

'I ask ya; wots wrong with pineapple???'

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'm sure glad I made the short shelves around the edge of my pond. Really hides the liner great! Creeping Jenny adds to the nice effects too.

IMG_6171.JPG

@brokensword

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm sure glad I made the short shelves around the edge of my pond. Really hides the liner great! Creeping Jenny adds to the nice effects too.

View attachment 147112

@brokensword

lessee, if Jimmy Kimmel and Twitter all back this silly notion of no pineapple on P, the opposite MUST be true. That's my BS meter working overtime!

Now, if you were to lay pineapple all along that row of creeping jenny, and pizza on the other side, would you STILL be hiding the liner?

I think not, of course, because the pineapple would migrate over to where it's SUPPOSED to be! So, bad lil Queenie, bad lil Queenie for trying to convince a dear poster to cover his liner with such an idea! Better stick to rocks and shelves and let the pizza have all the pineapple glory!

And the war rages on! Best time to 'let's Ride!', hey?

:cool: :D ;)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
lessee, if Jimmy Kimmel and Twitter all back this silly notion of no pineapple on P, the opposite MUST be true. That's my BS meter working overtime!

Now, if you were to lay pineapple all along that row of creeping jenny, and pizza on the other side, would you STILL be hiding the liner?

I think not, of course, because the pineapple would migrate over to where it's SUPPOSED to be! So, bad lil Queenie, bad lil Queenie for trying to convince a dear poster to cover his liner with such an idea! Better stick to rocks and shelves and let the pizza have all the pineapple glory!

And the war rages on! Best time to 'let's Ride!', hey?

:cool: :D ;)
Much better to not listen to kingy and put nice shelves w/no pineapple anywhere near pond.
Fish no likey pineapple, will kill them dead
1644041742246.gif

I win cuz I rule, I am queen you are slave. I see no king certificate of any kind in your resume.
You can have all the pineapple till it grows out your ears
1644040805116.gif

Even pineapples don't like pineapples on pizza
1644040713481.gif

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It's always frustrating to see people struggling to hide liner when it's a simple construction technique. It's fixable @420benz especially if you have small rocks lining your edge.

Ask a Question