How to hide the liner

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It's always frustrating to see people struggling to hide liner when it's a simple construction technique. It's fixable @420benz especially if you have small rocks lining your edge.

this is the #1 'wish I'd known' thang when I first built MY pond and the first fix I did when I redid everything. You just don't think it's going to be an issue until AFTER you dig, line, fill, sit back and say to your significant other; ah, do YOU see all that exposed liner???

But I think most doing a first pond aren't keyed into this aspect and blindly go marching forward!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Dang @j.w i had never heard of creeping charlie, well i never knew it by name . if there's one plant i can get to grow any where here it's that's stuff i can rip it out by the handful one week and 2 weeks later it looks mature all over again. Anyone in Connecticut who reads this never plants creeping Charly it should be called stampede Chatly or napom.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@brokensword YOU MAKE MY HEAD HURT, SPRIN, SHAKE, TWIST, FLUTTER, EXPLODE....................... ALL WITH PINEAPPLE

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@brokensword YOU MAKE MY HEAD HURT, SPRIN, SHAKE, TWIST, FLUTTER, EXPLODE....................... ALL WITH PINEAPPLE
don't expect a gif of THAT either! :D:p:cool::rolleyes:

I think some of the best ponds don't have the string of pearls and with the different border edging, naturalizes very well! I'd heartily recommend yours as an example of a job well done! Even that bit along Sch*t's Creek with the pineapple patch!

:cool:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Not sure what your calling the pineapple patch but i Thank you on the praise. I'm hoping to put some finishing touches to the pond this year as i'm not going to be on the road.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Not sure what your calling the pineapple patch but i Thank you on the praise. I'm hoping to put some finishing touches to the pond this year as i'm not going to be on the road.
it's hard NOT to want to tweak, isn't it? I actually hate the fact I'm enclosed as it surely stops some of the tweaks I want to make, but more for variety, not out of dislike! Gets in my blood, sitting by the pond and seeing that one or two small things that COULD be better!

Looking forward to YOUR tweaks! I'm sure CW will lend you Barney when the time comes...:D:p

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO DON'T GIVE ME EQUIPMENT .............. ill end up doubling what i have now . i still have some rock kicking around as i have become a rock hoarder.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Thanks for the info.I think i will go with creeping jenny.
creeping Jenny is very invasive in gardens/dirt areas. You will need to constantly keep it from growing out too far a distance around the outside of the pond.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Dang @j.w i had never heard of creeping charlie, well i never knew it by name . if there's one plant i can get to grow any where here it's that's stuff i can rip it out by the handful one week and 2 weeks later it looks mature all over again. Anyone in Connecticut who reads this never plants creeping Charly it should be called stampede Chatly or napom.
Yes whatever you want to call it, Creeping Jenny, Creeping Charley, that stuff if it gets in your lawn or your gardens can really take over. Fortunately mine is in an area where it can't really go too far as I've got paver stones all around the outside of the pond for walking on. I can just pull any when I see it trying to escape. Pretty easy to pull.

IMG_8652.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy
Yes whatever you want to call it, Creeping Jenny, Creeping Charley, that stuff if it gets in your lawn or your gardens can really take over. Fortunately mine is in an area where it can't really go too far as I've got paver stones all around the outside of the pond for walking on. I can just pull any when I see it trying to escape. Pretty easy to pull.

View attachment 147149
MY robot will do it for me this summer ahahah

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I didn't know @brokensword traveled that far for a job :p
dayum; now where's the 'shot through the heart' emoji when I NEED it! Point for lil Queenie...

I LOVE creeping jenny; hides so many sins, easy to pull, looks great in light green, small flowers, will flow and grow over anything, including rocks, logs, waterfalls...

210731 - pond plants, lilies, turtles, fish, wfall 19.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I took this screenshot from below. When I built my pond, I did this with the rocks so the water level shows some rock below the water and the liner doesn't show. It's late fall and the net above is reflecting into the pond.
That's pretty much how I did mine.

I have the shallow shelf in the water and flat stones sitting there partially submerged. Then I added more flat stones on top of those stones stepping back away from the pond.

I have plenty of spare liner that extends up, under all the stones and a good foot or so onto the flat land. No liner is showing. It's all covered with stones.

If you plant Creeping Jenny in the soil around your pond, it will survive the winter and spread out more and more every year.

Ask a Question