addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
T-Mobile is the only cell phone company that works at our house. We are in a perfect dead zone. Even have towers sort of close to us. Within a few miles.
They are rolling out a 600 MHz LTE network, trying to get it into a lot of rural areas without service.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I don't think Gemma's problem is the hardware for certain

Nope - I was referring to @addy1 and her issues with her laptop.

And @brokensword - I feel your pain! I am "tech support" for my almost 80 year old mom. God love her, but if she changes her AppleID password ONE MORE TIME... I can tell when she does it because my Find A Friend can't locate her. She forgets that when she changes it on her computer she has to put the new password in her phone as well. And why does she change it? Because her first call is never to me - she calls Apple and can't remember her password (because she's changed it SO MANY TIMES) and they walk her through changing it AGAIN. I even tried to put my name on file with Apple saying "if she calls you, conference me in!" No go. Her internet provider did add a note to her file to ask her "have you already called your daughter about this problem?" haha! She's great - tries to stay current on all the new technologies, but it's a fast moving world!

I'll be old someday, too. I hope my kids are kind to me!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am "tech support" for my almost 80 year old mom
lol I feel your pain!
I was tech support for my dad. He had issues with electricity and id theft. Would unplug EVERYTHING every night, Take the keyboard off the desktop hide it in the house, hide the mouse. Mentally sharp until death at 90, except for his fears .
Then he would call me in Arizona, ask me how to get it all set up again..............every time I returned to Maryland I would make him a spread sheet of how to rehook and relog into everything. Well he would hide the sheet..............
My one sister that visited him a lot didn't help, she fed into his fears, helped him hide things, of course she could not rehook everything.

All he had on the computer were pictures he took. Email was a hit and miss.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I wish T-mobile would work here where we are as they advertise a 55 plus service now for two lines for $60. a month. Unlimited talk, text and data. My friend up the road has a T-mobile tower on her property and we still don't get it. Dog gone it!The only one we get somewhat and not that great is Verizon.
https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/t-mobile-one-unlimited-55

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Nope - I was referring to @addy1 and her issues with her laptop.

And @brokensword - I feel your pain! I am "tech support" for my almost 80 year old mom. God love her, but if she changes her AppleID password ONE MORE TIME... I can tell when she does it because my Find A Friend can't locate her. She forgets that when she changes it on her computer she has to put the new password in her phone as well. And why does she change it? Because her first call is never to me - she calls Apple and can't remember her password (because she's changed it SO MANY TIMES) and they walk her through changing it AGAIN. I even tried to put my name on file with Apple saying "if she calls you, conference me in!" No go. Her internet provider did add a note to her file to ask her "have you already called your daughter about this problem?" haha! She's great - tries to stay current on all the new technologies, but it's a fast moving world!

I'll be old someday, too. I hope my kids are kind to me!
Maybe have her write in in marker and tape it across the bottom of her comp? At least then if she forgets she can just look down/under! And you'd know what it is too!

I started out trying to 'teach my mom' concepts but gave up and just listed the order of things to try/do. Easier on both of us!

Michael

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yay! I finally figured out how to upload images!
smhappydance.gif

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Maybe have her write in in marker and tape it across the bottom of her comp? At least then if she forgets she can just look down/under! And you'd know what it is too!

I wish it were a fixable problem. She thinks she knows more than she really knows and she doesn't ever want to let on that she's confused. Very stubborn to say the least. So when you say "password" she can't remember the difference between wifi password, her AppleID password, and her phone passcode. And she's a terrible listener. Always has been. Combine all that and you have a really frustrating situation.

I would honestly like to just keep her off the computer all together - she once got a phone call from a scammer who said "we can see you are having problems with your computer. You pay us and we will fix it over the phone". Good thing she's cheap - the price was just too high! She doesn't really need a computer - all she does is email and 99% of it is junk. The rest is the neighbors emailing things like "is trash pick up today or tomorrow?" Haha!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I wish it were a fixable problem. She thinks she knows more than she really knows and she doesn't ever want to let on that she's confused. Very stubborn to say the least. So when you say "password" she can't remember the difference between wifi password, her AppleID password, and her phone passcode. And she's a terrible listener. Always has been. Combine all that and you have a really frustrating situation.

I would honestly like to just keep her off the computer all together - she once got a phone call from a scammer who said "we can see you are having problems with your computer. You pay us and we will fix it over the phone". Good thing she's cheap - the price was just too high! She doesn't really need a computer - all she does is email and 99% of it is junk. The rest is the neighbors emailing things like "is trash pick up today or tomorrow?" Haha!
Wow, yeah, I feel your pain. I figured if I could 'teach' concepts, my mom wouldn't have the same problem next time...pulled out a lot of hair during this phase before I figured her 'happiness' was better than 'what I could teach her'! At least I didn't spend as much time on the phone when I came to this conclusion.

I don't suppose it would be good if she had only ONE password for everything, would it? I know they say don't do it but unless it's a banking situation, not sure she'd lose too much and it would make your life easier. I too worried about scammers getting to my mom through phone/computer but she passed away before anything like that could happen. And you know, I used to think Apple/Mac was the simpler system (might still be but they sure are testing my limits!) and if my mom had had one, it would have been easier just for that reason, to help her. But, my sister and brother-in-law gave her a pc and she never looked back. All the woulda, shoulda, couldas, ya know?

Anyway, good luck with your mom and try and convince her SHE'LL have a better time on the comp if she lets you 'maintain'/format/structure (whatever term you want to use) her computer. At least then you might cut to the chase quicker!

Michael

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
unless it's a banking situation

I didn't even mention her online banking fiasco. She locks herself out of her bank account on a daily basis. Then her bank requires her to DRIVE to the bank to get a new password. My sister says "well, at least it gives her something to do!" But the underlying problem is the more often she has to change passwords, the more confused she gets. She always chooses something that's ALMOST like another password that she vaguely remembers... which is worse than something that's waaaaay different. It's a real challenge.

She also offers to help OTHER older people with their computer/internet/cable/cell phone problems, and then she calls one of us to help her help them. I had to put the kibosh on that when she offered to do the bookkeeping for the owner of her favorite nail salon... I was not getting involved in that one.

We are moving her out of her house and into an apartment in two weeks. Maybe her computer will go missing in the move... haha!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I didn't even mention her online banking fiasco. She locks herself out of her bank account on a daily basis. Then her bank requires her to DRIVE to the bank to get a new password. My sister says "well, at least it gives her something to do!" But the underlying problem is the more often she has to change passwords, the more confused she gets. She always chooses something that's ALMOST like another password that she vaguely remembers... which is worse than something that's waaaaay different. It's a real challenge.

She also offers to help OTHER older people with their computer/internet/cable/cell phone problems, and then she calls one of us to help her help them. I had to put the kibosh on that when she offered to do the bookkeeping for the owner of her favorite nail salon... I was not getting involved in that one.

We are moving her out of her house and into an apartment in two weeks. Maybe her computer will go missing in the move... haha!
I think I'd look to be adopted to another set of parents if I'd have had to deal with 'helping' offers! Sheesh; I feel even more sorry for you. There HAS to be an easier solution, doesn't there? Can you set up new passwords, write them down for her, and find a way to LOCK them in so only YOU can change them? At least you'd have a chance then...

And, (I don't remember from earlier) are you/she on a pc or a mac? Of course I'd lean you in the mac direction if you aren't already (but I know how hard it is to change course mid-stream, still, I like that I have few issues on my mac and wish others the same, you know?). I do think the banking issue is the scariest but at least the bank makes her work for it. You know, at some point, you're going to have to take over, just for her own safety and your sanity...

I'll say a prayer for your tortured soul, Lisak!!! You're going to need it!

Michael

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Why don't people just enable share folder from PC and access it from phone via WiFi.

No need of data cable.

One can backup phone to PC, or copy data to phone with ease.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well update................ a win 10 update hit my system. And BSOD again, in a loop again, dell says to restore my system AGAIN
We are climbing the dell food chain...............

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@addy1 That sucks and you are in what they call "Dell H*ll!" Awful of them not to do anything more then tell you to keep restoring it. Did you ever inform Costco on how they are treating you?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I called Costco, the rep took all the info called Dell, got some chick that just wanted me to restore again, reinstall win 10 again. Dear hubby got on the phone and demanded a supervisor. They are claiming it is operating system issue, not hardware therefore not their problem. So Hubby said do you mean every computer out there does BSOD with every win update? We are getting a call back monday/tuesday from a higher up. Wait and see. I told them I want a new laptop. Wait and see what the next step will be.

I did get it running again, after messing with it for over a hour. Doing repairs, etc. On the phone with costco and dell for almost 2 hours then had to leave hubby had a appt we had to get to.

Hubby told them we are going to start a social media attack! Problem is I need to sign up for all that junk to do it.

Ask a Question