j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Let us know what happens after you backup and then try to update again. Maybe a glitch in windows and won't happen again but inquiring minds need to know :D

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Let us know what happens after you backup and then try to update again. Maybe a glitch in windows and won't happen again but inquiring minds need to know :D

Well three plus hours later my brand new install is now installed. It did a ton of updates, windows, apps that came with it, dell updates etc etc. It is still working at this moment, so whatever happened maybe it was just a bad update install. I have really no clue. But once again I had to stretch the brain cells! Keeps those neurons firing!

My lappy is back, my other one works but the keys are a bit different, it is slower, pauses as you type etc etc.
HAPPY DANCE!! back up and running, now need to get the web sites I pin repinned, see how to restore my tiny backup. Reset the apps it has constantly running and sucking battery power, etc. So more work to do, but getting there.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I did a load of the back up created by the computer, it is missing a bunch of stuff, so not sure why again. Oh well

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
All I really care about losing is my pictures and I back them up on other external drives and also on Google photo's. Everything else I can just add back if I lose it. No business stuff or banking on pc's. I don't trust it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I did a load of the back up created by the computer, it is missing a bunch of stuff, so not sure why again. Oh well
Depending on how important the data is, as long as the data wasn't written over, it could still be retrievable.
There is software available for under $100 that can retrieve it. Unfortunately you won't know if the data was written over until you try and retrieve it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
glad you got it "fixed" look in to idrive to keep a back up of your doc's iirc 5gb of space is free also keeps some revisions so you can go back to before you saved over.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Depending on how important the data is
I had some bee help docs, pictures, but most of the pictures are still on my camera data cards.

I can recreate the docs, all notes as I searched for stuff on the net.

A few good meals, but again find able.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Depending on how important the data is, as long as the data wasn't written over, it could still be retrievable.
There is software available for under $100 that can retrieve it. Unfortunately you won't know if the data was written over until you try and retrieve it.

if a little tech savvy and i am assuming most on here are based on the DIY forums. can pull the "bad HD" and slave it to a good pc and pull your docs back. but a nuke and pave was done this won't help.

Just a mention for all for the "next time"

IT guy by trade and IT company owner.

Ponds are just one of the listed "jack of all master of none"

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It is a solid state drive, the tech store said they could try but it might not work. They also said there might be a card on the drive, but I was thinking the backup would cover everything, wrong!

I did not have much on the pc.

Worse is I need to find my code for office to turn it back on.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
It is a solid state drive, the tech store said they could try but it might not work. They also said there might be a card on the drive, but I was thinking the backup would cover everything, wrong!

I did not have much on the pc.

Worse is I need to find my code for office to turn it back on.
have u tried retrieving software ? it happens some times when it dies it looses some data but it can be recovered

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
have u tried retrieving software ? it happens some times when it dies it looses some data but it can be recovered
I am using the free software you sent me, thanks!
It found 17000 some files, I am putting them on the flash drive until I can decipher what they are. Says it will take two hours to write them all. Hard to tell with the wording of the files.

I am really stretching my brain on this one!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Piriform Recuva

I still have not quite figured out what it has recovered.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Most of the files recovered will be of no interest to you.
For pictures, look for file names ending in .jpg or .png, or however you saved them as in the first place.
For documents, look for .pdf or .docx, again, however you saved them.
Try dragging those files to the new desktop or open them directly from the device you saved them on.
I'm not familiar with that software, so I'm not sure what it's exact recovery procedure is.

Ask a Question