addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Ah! Costco! WE LOVE COSTCO! They'll take anything back, so you're good!
yeah but electronics, computers, only for 90 days. I am going to start with dell, this time it was a video card update from dell that killed it. Right now working. But to see the same issue three times in one day is worrisome.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
electronics, computers, only for 90 days

If you believe it's defective, I would return it. And to me, a six month old computer that stops working is defective. That 90 days should only be because you change your mind.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I reached out to Dell, going to reach out to Costco also. It is covered via dell until 2/18. This time it was their video card update that killed it.
Did the same thing, BSOD, can't fix, do you want to restore, i.e. rebuild, or reboot, after 3or so reboots it booted up.

I ran all of the diagnostics via their online support assist, it finds no problems. Figures I spent more than I usually spend on a lappy and it breaks.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I sure hope somebody at Dell will continue to work w/you to get this problem fixed. Good it is still under warranty.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I reached out to Dell, removed and reinstalled the video card and also ran a program that showed system events.

It has a record of all the BSOD's. Yeah! a good record that I am not crazy lol I took pictures of the each system events write up and sent them to Dell.

There were a bunch

Capture.PNG

This is our last communication.............

I have seen the pictures and I see that there are multiple BSOD’s found.

As this is a little complicated issue, it is difficult to troubleshoot over emails. So, I would request you to give us a good time to reach you (a 2 hour window) along with the time zone so that I could arrange a call back from one of our senior technicians and resolve this issue in one go.

So now wait and see what the tech can do to help me. Maybe it will be fixable.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Addy. We had a computer at work have similar problems. What killed it was an automatic update that ran a new operating system version on the computer. Since the computer hadn't had regular updates previously it was actually missing code that allowed the computer to work with the new operating system. We tried some of the same tricks Mitch suggested but none worked. Couldn't get it into safe mode etc. I actually figured out what code it was missing by going on help forums but didn't have the knowledge or time to add it by saving it to dos. If you remember everything was done in dos in the early days of pc computers and it still is the basis for what goes on in computers today even if you don't see it. I bet I'm the only one on gpf that has played dungeons and dragons in dos! I have a computer guru I go to when stuff is over my head. Typically what he does is take the hard drive out and run it on his own computer so he can save everything on the hard drive and back it up. I hope this information helps. From what I understand it's very important to update your computer all the time and adopt new versions of operating systems when they come out. Typically the code for older systems is made widely known after a few years and that's when all the viruses and glitches start appearing. The newer system codes are not as widely known and are much safer. Re saving files data, etc., Personally everything I do for my work as well as my personal stuff is done on my cloud. I have had lots of hardware problems over the years but never lost anything because I use the cloud. Also I can access everything from any device.... pc, laptop, etc because it's easy to get to. I even have a little cloud icon on my phone and can see all my work documents in just a few clicks.

Last edited:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have mine on auto updates, never have skipped one, At times it reboots by itself to update.
I did not get a good explanation as to what happened you know how geeks are, he worked remotely on the lappy for about a hour. Here are some of the things he downloaded told me to get coffee while he worked. I watched him work, he did a lot of the stuff I also had done. But almost went further.
Capture.PNG

I need to be better I had set up the cloud but was saving docs on the desktop which was not saved to the cloud. Luckily this is a young pc, I still had not really set it up since buying it. We have been so busy with life this year.

Now I am saving in the right doc folders. Also a lot of the doc's I lost were on my old lappy, I am going to fire it up save those docs to the cloud so I can get them with this one. Other lost things are just lost lol, but nothing losing sleep over.

I mainly need my mixings for the bees sugar blocks I make for the winter feed. Right now we are feeding them liquid food.

Oh I recall dos and fortran (had to learn it for one my master classes) and c programing. Never was wonderful at it, but could learn it.

Right now it is running fine. It still does not go to sleep when not in use. I need to send a message see what else might be going on. It is warm in the am, i.e. has been running.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have mine on auto updates, never have skipped one, At times it reboots by itself to update.
I did not get a good explanation as to what happened you know how geeks are, he worked remotely on the lappy for about a hour. Here are some of the things he downloaded told me to get coffee while he worked. I watched him work, he did a lot of the stuff I also had done. But almost went further.
View attachment 102648

I need to be better I had set up the cloud but was saving docs on the desktop which was not saved to the cloud. Luckily this is a young pc, I still had not really set it up since buying it. We have been so busy with life this year.

Now I am saving in the right doc folders. Also a lot of the doc's I lost were on my old lappy, I am going to fire it up save those docs to the cloud so I can get them with this one. Other lost things are just lost lol, but nothing losing sleep over.

I mainly need my mixings for the bees sugar blocks I make for the winter feed. Right now we are feeding them liquid food.

Oh I recall dos and fortran (had to learn it for one my master classes) and c programing. Never was wonderful at it, but could learn it.

Right now it is running fine. It still does not go to sleep when not in use. I need to send a message see what else might be going on. It is warm in the am, i.e. has been running.

sleep is under power management in the control panel you can set that yourself

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
sleep is under power management in the control panel you can set that yourself
I know, at this time it will not sleep and I just discovered if you power it down, it restarts by itself. So another issue.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Roll back to 7?
This one came with win 10. I sent them another message attached to the original message. I have a warranty until 3/18. If it keeps going bad I will call costco and see if they will do a return. Out of the 90 day electronic return window, but they are real good esp if you are having documented issues.

It is working smoother, but never able to shut down not good and no sleep. I need to be careful when we travel and where I leave it sitting, it does get hot. It was hot in our travel bag, I had shut it down, 4 hours later pulled it out.....HOT!

I will wait and see what the cure is this time, if there is any. this mess started with a update from MS

Ask a Question