What does your pond look like ... Today?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
We have those lilies here in Washington:

Native Freshwater Plants
Spatterdock - A Plant With Many Uses
Spatterdock, a useful native plant, is a rooted, floating-leaved plant with bright yellow flowers commonly seen in Washington lakes and ponds. Its scientific name is Nuphar polysepala, and it is also commonly called the yellow pond or cow lily. Spatterdock can sometimes be confused with the fragrant water lily (Nymphaea odorata), a similar looking exotic plant that has been introduced in many Washington lakes. However, if they are blooming they can be easily distinguished, for the fragrant water lily has showy white or sometimes pink many-petaled flowers.
nuphar_root_florida.gif

In early spring the spatterdock's leaves are below the surface, light green in color, and look like lettuce growing on the lake bottom. But by late spring the broad, dark green, heart-shaped leaves float on the water's surface or often stand above the water as the summer progresses.

The floating leaves are connected by long stalks to large horizontal roots in the sediments. The roots can be up to six inches in diameter and many feet long! The roots look something like palm-tree trunks, with knobby scars where leaves have grown.

The bright yellow, ball-like flowers bloom from June to mid-August and also stand just above the water surface. They are composed of several broad fleshy yellow sepals, with many inconspicuous petals inside. In the center is a yellow flask-shaped seed pod. The flower emits a strong brandy-like odor which attracts pollinating insects. Spatterdock reproduces by seeds and spreads by growth of its large fleshy roots. It will also grow from fragments of roots if the plant is broken up.

Humans have put spatterdock to many uses. Historically many cultures ate the roots cooked fresh in stews or dried and ground into flour for baking. The seeds were gathered by Native Americans and either ground into flour or popped like popcorn. The leaves and roots also contain tannin which was put to use in dyeing and tanning. Medicinally, the leaves were used to stop bleeding, and roots were used in a poultice for cuts, swelling, and other ailments. The Quinault Tribe believed that some of the roots looked like men, and others like women, so they chose a root appropriate for the patient before using it as a
nuphar_flower.JPG
pain remedy. Most recently spatterdock has been used as an aquarium and water garden plant.

Spatterdock is also a valuable plant for fish and wildlife habitat. Its large leaves provide shade, cover from predators, and a home for many tiny invertebrates which fish use for food. The seeds are eaten by ducks and other birds, and muskrat, beaver, and nutria will eat the roots. Deer have also been known to browse the flowers and leaves. When spatterdock is accompanied by other native aquatic plants, it is very beneficial to wildlife habitat and an important part of a lake ecosystem.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I think so, but I didn't see any physical damage to the bird.
I mean besides the being dead part.

You wouldn't see any physical damage. The Bullfrog basically holds on until the bird suffocates or drowns. At least that's what it seems like. None of the birds my bullfrog killed a couple years ago had any visual injury.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Planted my Prairie Smoke today. I wanted it right along the pond but couldn't find a spot I was happy with so I put it across the pond near my fence.
IMG_2361 copy.jpg

The Wild Geranium is blooming like crazy now. Noticed this fly on it today covered in pollen.
IMG_2353 copy.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
wow neat popcorn like I would love to try that .Wonder why plants like these are not really seen .The tub in pic 2 was almost empty yesterday
101_0579.JPG
101_0582.JPG
101_0578.JPG
101_0371.JPG

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Wow! Great detail, JB. (y)
Planted my Prairie Smoke today. I wanted it right along the pond but couldn't find a spot I was happy with so I put it across the pond near my fence.
View attachment 100026

The Wild Geranium is blooming like crazy now. Noticed this fly on it today covered in pollen.
View attachment 100025

I first picked up some "Prairie Smoke" late last year with no idea what it would really look like. The flowers are beautiful and I can't wait until next spring when I have a whole bunch of it coming up.

Ask a Question