What does your pond look like ... Today?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep. I've had some recent success repelling herons with this holographic tape/ribbon. It's usually used in orchards and vineyards. Our local koi dealer swears by it, and it's a cheap too! I know netting the pond is the very best option but I need constant access to the surface. We lost 10 comets and a koi since February. Since tying this ribbon to foliage around the pond, we've lost none - even though we've added many new, less wary fish. I'll let you know if our luck holds out...View attachment 101103View attachment 101102

And could you show us how you put your tape stuff up and am very interested to see if it works for the long haul. They may get used to seeing it up and then slowly work their way back to the pond. Hope not but they are persistent especially if they have already had a taste there.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I wonder how that would look hanging a few strips in our windows. We get bird strikes now and then. I would use at the pond but I want the small birds to have a drinking and bathing spot.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I wonder how that would look hanging a few strips in our windows. We get bird strikes now and then. I would use at the pond but I want the small birds to have a drinking and bathing spot.

Bet it would work for your windows.
Forgot about my little birds that love to come bathe in the shallow ledge. Guess the tape would be out for me. One could make a small pond just for the birds. Nope too much work, I'll just keep my net.

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
It only seems to repel crows, jays, woodpeckers and herons here. All our smaller birds, including robins, junkos, chickadees, humming birds, etc. ignore it.

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
And could you show us how you put your tape stuff up and am very interested to see if it works for the long haul. They may get used to seeing it up and then slowly work their way back to the pond. Hope not but they are persistent especially if they have already had a taste there.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed but they may lose their fear of it. Here's a few places I use it. It's really thin and flutters in the slightest breeze:

Last edited:

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
IMG_4405.JPG
IMG_4406.JPG
IMG_4408.JPG
IMG_4410.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hmmmmmmmmm so if no breeze I think they will be back. If they aren't I will be surprised!

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Hmmmmmmmmm so if no breeze I think they will be back. If they aren't I will be surprised!
I'm skeptical too but the stuff glitters like a diamond too, night and day, even in the pond lights at night. We'll see how it goes. I'll post updates here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
We have a bright yellow bird that has been pecking on our windows most of the day for a week. I guess it's an Oriole? It has a partner, which never comes to the window. When my wife isn't looking, I open the windows. It hasn't come in yet. I can get within 6 inches of the window, and it doesn't fly away. I worry about how 1 million pecks affects the glass.

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
We have a bright yellow bird that has been pecking on our windows most of the day for a week. I guess it's an Oriole? It has a partner, which never comes to the window. When my wife isn't looking, I open the windows. It hasn't come in yet. I can get within 6 inches of the window, and it doesn't fly away. I worry about how 1 million pecks affects the glass.
Yikes! :confused: Try the tape or hang an old CD out there, @Mike in Vermont. Welcome back, by the way. I hope you're trout are fat and happy!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yikes! :confused: Try the tape or hang an old CD out there, @Mike in Vermont. Welcome back, by the way. I hope you're trout are fat and happy!
Thanks Red. The trout should be real fat. Nearly 60 lbs of Zeigler gold so far this year. My daughter will be getting married beside the pond next month. My wife has advertised fishing in the invitations. :cautious:

Ask a Question