What does your pond look like ... Today?

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Fished a dead bird out this morning, and quite a few leaves. The ponds been keeping just at 80* in the afternoon but drops down to 68* in the AM. I decided to do a dredging and partial water change after finding the bird (the carcass was pretty disgusting) and seeing my water had a slight green murk to it. I just posted here a just couple days ago how it was doing fine. Should I get out the test kit?? HAHAHA, and do what with it? I'm guessing my nitrates are up, partial change and increased aeration is all I'm willing to do. I was surprised the temp was only at 68 this morning, we hit 100.9 yesterday but I do have a decent shade canopy over the pond now.
045.jpg

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I have a few different ones. I'm still thinking my dumb leaf-cutting move has killed the gorgeous pink one! Arrrgghh! It keeps sending up little stalks with pink blossoms, but instead of growing larger and opening like the first one did, after a few days the stem yellows then the whole thing turns brown. Poo.
I have a small variety that is making some cool smallish leaves, but no blooms. Then a really large variety that is easily 5 feet tall. That's the one in the separate pool. I think it is supposed to have a pinkish cast to it, but so far, the blooms have been white.
I will go out and take some pix.
It is HOT here! Blech.
Ugh I hope it recovers. And yes, miserably hot here as well! I agree with @Lisak1, your pond looks like it's been there forever.
@pecan, beautiful as always.

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Our old pump kept shutting down from overheating, so I replaced it with our backup pump. They are bulky (14,000 gph) pumps and weigh around fifty pounds each, so it was a bit of a chore. It turns out the old pump's internal cooling fan had three broken fan blades that likely caused the overheating. Here's the old and the new:
IMG_4534.JPG
IMG_4536.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
20170722_172648.jpg
20170709_102442.jpg
20170625_105048.jpg
View attachment 102519 View attachment 102520 View attachment 102521 View attachment 102519 View attachment 102520 my new turtle enclosure. A friend from work found her walking down the street. He put her in a bucket and brought her to me since i am the only person he knows that has Ponds. So i had to slap this together for now. Now i have to set up a spot inside for her for the winter. I didnt even really want her lol. I couldnt let her possibly fall into the wrong hands, so i had to take her. My son wanted her too. I was like " oh alright for god sakes." Now look at all this work lol

Last edited:

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My Mexican Sunflowers are starting to bloom. Getting close to 6' tall. They're on track to be 8' or 9' by Autumn. The Monarchs love them during the fall migration. I planted twice as many as I normally do.

IMG_5004 copy.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Pics I took today. Just started this year and the pond cleared up about 3 weeks ago. I love how its coming along. Only problem I have is the grass I planted around all died because of the hot weather we have had but everything else is doing good.
IMG_1417.JPG
IMG_1418.JPG

Ask a Question