What does your pond look like ... Today?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks! I used to keep planted fish tanks up in New England so I had some experience with aquatic plants. I am also an avid gardener so a pond is a great combination of my favorite hobbies. Plants in Florida do grow fast! I have to trim some of my shrubs every 2-3 months!
With grey skies and nothing much growing, a British "patio pond" looks rubbish at this time of year, so believe me when I say your pond and plants look wonderful, so verdant and lush! I guess with the warmth your fish can be growing 12 months round?

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Country
United States
With grey skies and nothing much growing, a British "patio pond" looks rubbish at this time of year, so believe me when I say your pond and plants look wonderful, so verdant and lush! I guess with the warmth your fish can be growing 12 months round?

The fish don’t grow quite 12 months a year, but you are close. We probably get 2 months where the water temperature will fall at times into the 50’s and I stop feeding them. This year has been warmer than usual. My water temperature now is 71 degrees. A few weeks ago, though, the water temperature fell into the 50’s. “Colder” weather like that can continue through January. I live in central Florida which does experience lows normally in the high 20’s. The record here is 18 degrees. They used to grow oranges around here, but frosts on occasion, killed many trees and that became a thing of the past.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The fish don’t grow quite 12 months a year, but you are close. We probably get 2 months where the water temperature will fall at times into the 50’s and I stop feeding them. This year has been warmer than usual. My water temperature now is 71 degrees. A few weeks ago, though, the water temperature fell into the 50’s. “Colder” weather like that can continue through January. I live in central Florida which does experience lows normally in the high 20’s. The record here is 18 degrees. They used to grow oranges around here, but frosts on occasion, killed many trees and that became a thing of the past.
It's quite the opposite here. The fish spend most of the year in somewhat chillier water, though we can have temps in 80s & 90s, it never lasts for long, rare to go over a week at a time and can swing quite low within a day. It's amazing how our "domestic" fish adapt so well to completely different parts of the world.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Donor
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Right now my parrots feather is growing back like it is spring. The Taro I forgot to remove is sending up new shoots, so now in the house in a glass. We did drop to 19 a few nights. I am surprised it is still alive.

brokensword

...and not every pond in Michigan has a loon!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Right now my parrots feather is growing back like it is spring. The Taro I forgot to remove is sending up new shoots, so now in the house in a glass. We did drop to 19 a few nights. I am surprised it is still alive.
the tuber was submerged and didn't get the full 19F hit; if it had been above, or not warmed by surrounding water, it would have been mush! And yeah, it was jus' sumthin I mush tell you! heh heh, okay, I'd done BETTER puns but I'm having an off day...

smilie-sword-twirl-Christmas2.gif

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Donor
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
the tuber was submerged and didn't get the full 19F hit; if it had been above, or not warmed by surrounding water, it would have been mush!
It was in a pot on my deck, in kitty litter, not in water. Well a bit of water from some rain, litter was wet. Maybe a quarter inch of water over it.

Ad

Advertisements

Ad

Advertisements

Ad

Advertisements

Ad

Advertisements

brokensword

...and not every pond in Michigan has a loon!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States

Ask a Question