Need smart computer person!!

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I use the mobile app version of the forum, actually the only time I use the desktop version is when at work :whistle: Read below but can send me a PM and we can talk over the phone if you want.

The good, bad and ugly:
Good, i7 chip probably is also the video processor, you can double check on dell's site for specific model, and i7 chip is probably not bad. If overheated then bad fan for sure.

Bad: link provided, 2 system files at issue, corrupted by either faulty third party drivers or bad "sectors" on hard drive.

The ugly: fixing it isn't easy, and always the risk of loosing data. SEE BACKING UP below. You need a disk or USB drive to boot to a windows PE, pre-environment. You can run chkdsk and roll back the registry to last know good configuration if necessary. Fixes most problems. You replace registry files with files from backup folder already created by windows.

Before doing this, and also having booted to the PE you can and need to back up your data to an external drive using robocopy. Get an external drive if you don't already have one, which you can format from the PE too; around $100. If you don't have one get one powered by single USB. Hopefully your file system is NTFS but there is possibility, though very unlikely, a corrupted file is deleted/repaired rendering the data on hard drive unusable (if in boot sector). Viruses (all forms, root kits, etc) are also a possibility so it's a good idea to have a virus scan on the PE disk also. For example just got an alert that CCleaner so many people d/l is malware.
You also need backup for licenses for any purchased software but a lot is kept on online accounts so those are easy.
Gets complicated and I don't know why Dell isn't doing a better job for you, probably why their customer service is rated very poorly for the big PC manufacturers.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...r/121a0f79-63f0-477e-8f1a-1d71acc9706c?auth=1

If all that doesn't fix it then fix is likely fresh install and copying user data from back up and reinstalling additional software.

PS Edit: been working on this reply since before your post with "solution" from dell. Again, to me this is PC technician skill level stuff.

Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The good, almost nothing on this lappy since I just had to restore it, did lose what was on it that time. I have everything that was put on this lappy since the last restore saved on a bkup hard drive and a memory card.

The bad a pita to mess with this again.

The in between...........I can redo the computer. Not a geek, but sort of skilled in these stupid things. If there are good directions I can usually follow and do. Might not understand all being done...............lol

the fan has been working fine, not sure why it was hotter than heck when it crashed this time.

We were invited to bring our honey to a open house at a farm. So gone all day today. This will need to be a tomorrow or later job. We have been so busy this summer.

Dell did dial in, last time, downloaded and replaced a bunch of chip sets etc, it worked until this last crash. I tried to find out what was wrong got no real reason.

I use my lappy more than my phone, my poor hands cause me all sorts of issues trying to type on that phone keyboard.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I got a reply, dialing in to run diagnostics on Tuesday, so I ran them for them and sent. Of course all checks fine just like last time.

Now wait for their next brilliant response.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
No Ethernet, this is the first lappy I have bought without that option.
I am going to wait and see what happens, most likely nothing on Tuesday.

Had fun at the farm, a lot of real nice people. We have been invited back for all of their October fest activities. We might go for a few. And now they want bee hives on their land.............. we need to think on that one, out yards are a lot of work, time wise.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very, but I knew this one did not have one, figured it would be ok without...............NO............... I could go back to my older lappy, but it is so slow compared to this one would drive me crazier!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
There are relatively inexpensive USB ethernet adapters available.
...if things don't work out on Tuesday.
It might be worth a try.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The problem I see, they are going to do "something" which most likely will do a pretend fix of the puter, IE dl a bunch of chipsets drivers etc again, it will work until it fails again.
Right now it is working. I ran all the hardware checks, all checks fine even the wireless card. My guess that will show it is fine unless I can run a check when it is broken, which I can't since it is blue screening. So a big circle of broke, fixed, broke, fixed until it just dies. The dial in on tuesday , imho, will just be a nothing.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
this is what her search found, I did a few, on my list to check into

AmazonBasics USB 2.0 to 10/100 Ethernet LAN Network Adapter

528 customer reviews
| 94 answered questions

Price: $9.99 Free Shipping for Prime Members
FREE Shipping on orders over $25—or get FREE Two-Day Shipping with Amazon Prime

In Stock.

Want it Tuesday, Sept. 26? Order within 18 hrs 27 mins and choose Two-Day Shipping at checkout. Details

Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.

Model: USB 2.0
Capacity: 1-Pack

This fits your .
  • Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
  • Connects a USB 2.0 device (computer/tablet) to a router, modem, or network switch to deliver Hi-Speed Full 10/100 Mbps Ethernet over USB 2.0's 480 Mbps bus; faster than most wireless connections
  • Supports both full-duplex and half-duplex operations along with suspend mode and remote wakeup via link-up and magic packet
  • Compliant with IEEE 802.3 (10Base-T) and 802.3u (100Base-TX) standards; USB powered RJ-45 network port for any 10/1000 Mbps network
  • Compatible with Windows 10/8.1/8/7/Vista/XP, and Chrome OS with latest system updates; does not support Windows RT or Android.

Ask a Question