So, how is your vegetable garden doing this year?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
This has been a strange year for growing things, all the way around. Too much rain and cool weather (I'm sitting by the open window and it feels like a nice fall morning with the breeze blowing in!) have really slowed things down. I've had some flowers that have literally drowned - had to pull them out of the ground and put them into pots. Lots of green tomatoes, but if we don't get some warm nights they won't ripen. Just goes to show - we are at Nature's mercy, no matter how smart we think we are!

I'm going to get some cool weather things in the ground for a fall garden next week - that should bring on the nice hot weather! haha!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
try 107 degrees.

No thanks! Let's find a happy medium somewhere!

I'm really not complaining - we have so many places around us that are dealing with flooding for almost a month now. A slow garden is the least of my worries. And the cool nights are wonderful... windows open, breezes blowing through, no AC running. It's all good!

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
And the cool nights are wonderful... windows open, breezes blowing through, no AC running. It's all good!
Making me jealous... >.<
up here we get the 107f and the 80 percent humidity... Today its nice but heat index is in the 100's still.
why couldn't we move to Alaska? mosquitoes and black fly's. yea... LOL. Our norfork lake flooded to, about 50ft higher than normal. Houses got VERY damaged. and its still up and hasn't gone down, about 3 months into it. ( thankfully we are a couple miles away from that). I guess flooding is popular this year. That and tornados.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Garden went crazy last week but slowed down this weekend with the Cool weather...had a baby bunny get through some rabbit fencing he did some damage to my pole beans but glad the bush beans have been producing...
20170731_220346.jpg

Tonight's picking... About every 4 days I was picking before the cool nights.

Cabbage is about ready and brussels are forming nicely.

Love my fresh veggies.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Is anyone else having issues with really small lily pads? My pond looks kind of barren of leaves compared to last year. The weird thing is my pond is super clear this year as well so I'm not sure if it's because of all the rain we have had or if there just isn't enough nutrients in the water for the lilies. Should I test the water, fertilize, or just ignore it?

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
@Nanner Quite a bounty. Our peas are finished. Starting to get a lot of cucumbers...but, those darn tomatoes are taking their time this year.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@Nanner Quite a bounty. Our peas are finished. Starting to get a lot of cucumbers...but, those darn tomatoes are taking their time this year.
Do you have those bugs that kind of look like "queen" stink bugs, they have 2 long legs, scare you when they fly by, and are a dark grey.

We just got done picking our last batch of cucumbers (we must have got over 200), we took the seeds from a number of them as we do with all our plants blah blah.
Chickens had some of the extra cucumbers, tomatoes, and corn.
Replanted some Gem Corn for winter decorations later on this year, and picked the last of the sweet corn last week or so.
Honey is still flowin'
@addy1 stll amazes me with his/her bee harvesting routines, (how does 1 even beeswax??????!!?!?!?!?!?)
Swiss chard, I can NEVER grow (never have...) but this year 1 made it, HUGE and beautiful! Couldn't eat it though, leaves are to brittle since its 100 out here........ >.<
All of our 1 million (not even kidding) flowers are doing fine. Grew some Veteran Poppys, this year and they flowered one day (we did 1 acre of them) then died off the next, one time opportunity.
Lets see what else...
Gotta kill the queen in one hive because she is a mix of some LARGLEY AGRESSIVE BASTARD BEE (lol).
So re queen her.
hmm.....
Planted clover...
Picked all the huckleberry's...
Blueberrys and rasberrys have been picked, same for strawberries...
Figs aren't figgin' yet, neither are the apple trees or pear trees or peach trees or nectarines.. OR cherries....
hmmmm....
k that's all.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
oh!
wait theres more...
Watermelons are still growing, same for the cantaloupe, 1 cabbage (its actually growing really good, in 100 degrees like wtf), of different varities (W,C).... And....
oh yea beans.
Beans are still growing, sadly, LOL
And..... uhh......
We have to re mulch the Back to eden garden... re hay it... etc...
Im not going to even get into the "work" category....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Dehydrator have been busy all week. Tomatoes going in today. Zucchini and peppers earlier in the week.

Ask a Question