What does your pond look like ... Today?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Also getting ready to have my 1st double lilly bloom... Colorado lilly has been a great purchase...
20170526_181512.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Also tucked and floated watercress from the super market.. have it tucked in the veggie filter as well as tucked by planters and floating in the pond. Be curious what it does..
20170526_181512.jpg

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Here there is a growing place that has a pond outside the greenhouse and pump the water from the pond into the greenhouse to feed the plants and then back out to the pond .hydroponics green house
That I think would be aquaponics if all the nutrients it is that they are getting, is from the fish. Sounds like a nice contraption though but our pond is for the "looks", a greenhouse wouldn't look to appealing to us LOL thank you sissy for the idea though.
Hey by any chance do you know how big (I know it gets about 10ft tall, I mean in circumference, width) a Emerald Green Arborvitae gets?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The Colorado will send up 6-8 blooms at a time. Love that lily

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@DutchMuch we've had our row of Emerald Greens for about 16yrs now and they are about 5 or 6ft around. They have steadily grown into one another and now are almost a solid fence. When we planted them they were about 6ft tall. Now we cut the tops off each year to keep them at the level we like. Not sure how big around they will continue to grow but hope they stop soon.

Here is 2010 pix:
IMG_1033.JPG

and here is now:

IMG_7733.JPG

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Do you know of a evergreen such as that, that reaches about... 10ft tall, and about 4 to 7 ft wide? btw stunning trees you have. I may just go with them, looking to use them about 3 ft from my house and about 2 ft from my porch.... Hard to pick a evergreen that can go that close and look Slim without being Huge, but enough to make a "barrier" so you cant see the garden beyond the trees from the porch...

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Do you know of a evergreen such as that, that reaches about... 10ft tall, and about 4 to 7 ft wide? btw stunning trees you have. I may just go with them, looking to use them about 3 ft from my house and about 2 ft from my porch.... Hard to pick a evergreen that can go that close and look Slim without being Huge, but enough to make a "barrier" so you cant see the garden beyond the trees from the porch...

I'm sure there are more but can't think of any offhand right now. The problem w/Arborvitae's is and any other trees is if you use all the same kind in a row like that and one or two die eventually you are stuck w/replacing w/same ones. Makes it hard to find same size to match in there.

If I were you I would put in several different kinds of trees so If one dies you can replace it easier w/many choices. Just do a search online of trees that make good fences. You may want all Evergreen or you can mix in Deciduous also.
Problem is for the height you want most Evergreens grow very tall, 50 ft or more.
That's why we chose the Emerald Greens but keep in mind deer are supposed to love them. We have not had the problem here but I know others that have.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
ah ok, didn't know about the deer I have to definitely cross them off the list now... shucks. I have done some research since last night, and was thinking if I could just put up a trellis, and let some purple wisteria grow on it, would create a wall eventually, and the flowers are pretty. Still thinking things through though.. Couldn't put a regular tree next to the house due to roots and all that, and just the leaves of the tree getting big and going on the house, yata yata yata.. lol
@j.w thanks so much for your time to help me with some input :) really appreciate that!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Here those trees get damaged by wind and snow load .They just split apart .Neighbor in first house just took all his out last year because they were damaged by storms .They look nice jw and amazed at how they cover the view of the other houses .I don' t like snow but it does make pretty pics .You can see his trees this is the year they were damaged bad .In the second pic you can see how they weighed down
pics on durecell back up 518.JPG
pics on durecell back up 527.JPG

Ask a Question